rustoleum question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjennings

Reaction score
So I picked up a can of rustoleum, for a non-rocketry project as I didn't have the color handy already, and when I flipped it upside-down to clear the nozzle it just kept spraying paint, way longer than other brands, is this normal for Rustoleum?

I think Rusto's supposed to be able to spray paint upside down too. So inverting to clear the nozzle doesn't work.

Thats pretty normal for Rustoleum these days, at least for the stuff I have been buying (2X- Ultra Cover)

Usually it says on the can it can spray at any angle. You don't clear the nozzle like you are used to --- just wipe it (and keep some spares, because they can clog).

I was right. I just went out and grabbed my can of Gloss Black Rusto... It says it can spray upside down.

P1050563.jpg

Last edited:
I pull the nozzles off and spray them with brake clean then let them dry. If they're really cruddy, I'll let them soak in some for a hour or two.

Adrian

The directions on the spray in any orientation say to wipe the nozzles clean after use.

That being said and done, I've still had the occasional problem with Rusto rattle cans. I always return them and get an exchange with no questions asked.

There's a unwritten painter's rule that says to do a few test sprays before committing color to the rocket/car/bike/whatever.

Murphy was an optimist.

Thanks, I must have missed that spray any angle line, wen I read over the back of the can

Thanks, I must have missed that spray any angle line, wen I read over the back of the can

Many people don't know about it. I was at the hardware store last week, and I mentioned to one of the better and more knowledgable employees that I had had some trouble with nozzles getting clogged, and he asked me if a was remembering to turn the can upside down and clear the nozzle. I told him that the new cans spray any direction, and you can't clear them that way. He hadn't known that.

Clogged Rust-oleum nozzles? I had it happen on two successive cans of clear. Went here to complain about the "any angle" feature preventing turning cans upside down to clear the nozzle:

https://www.rustoleum.com/pages/help-and-support/contact-us/

They mailed to me a padded mailer with 24 replacement nozzles free of charge without me even asking for them.

Back