Estes Launch Controller Issue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepe

Reaction score
About a month ago my old Estes launch controller stopped working so I changed the batteries but still no success even though I'd get the lightbulb to light.Oh well it was more then a couple years old so I went out and got a new one yesterday ,same results Ive tried new ignitors,motors, everything I can think of but i still can't get it working It's frustrating as heck but it's also weird. I've been launching low power rockets for years and have never had this many issues trying to get ignition. Any ideas? thanks

Which Estes controller did you Purchase, the Yellow one with the white bulb or Red LED, the Orange controller that takes a 9V battery or the Blue one that has the 30 feet of cable. The Orange one needs a New Name Brand Alkaline battery in it to work properly. The other two need Alkaline batteries as well but they can usually get away with the cheaper No Name brand versions. It is also possible you simply got a bad controller which is very rare.

John Boren

If you do in fact have a brand new Name brand Alkaline battery in the controller it should work. When pressing down the safety key, wiggle the key side to side front to back. If the LED comes on if should then fire an igniter\starter.

John Boren

I don't think the light will light up if the circuit isn't closed so things should be good to go. Shouldn't they?

Once again: if it is a "Heavy Duty" or "Super Heavy Duty" battery, is is actually a cheap and worthless battery. It MUST be a fresh alkaline battery. PERIOD.

The lamp will illuminate with a garbage battery, but the starter will not heat up and start the motor if the battery is not ALKALINE.

I had one of the orange ones that takes a nine volt. First time it launched a rocket upon inserting the safety key I thought it was weird. Second time it launched a rocket upon inserting the safety key I bought a Quest controller. Haven't had a problem since, no matter what batteries I've used.

I had one of the orange ones that takes a nine volt. First time it launched a rocket upon inserting the safety key I thought it was weird. Second time it launched a rocket upon inserting the safety key I bought a Quest controller. Haven't had a problem since, no matter what batteries I've used.

OUCH! That's dangerous!

About a month ago my old Estes launch controller stopped working so I changed the batteries but still no success even though I'd get the lightbulb to light.Oh well it was more then a couple years old so I went out and got a new one yesterday ,same results Ive tried new ignitors,motors, everything I can think of but i still can't get it working It's frustrating as heck but it's also weird. I've been launching low power rockets for years and have never had this many issues trying to get ignition. Any ideas? thanks

You say "new igniters, motors, everything". One would assume that includes batteries, which others have mentioned.
It seems unlikely that this would be the issue with both controllers, but is there any chance that there is a short somewhere in your wires or controller?

Were you using Quest Q2G2 igniters? Those are low-current igniters and can light when you do the continuity check with an Estes controller. Quite a surprise, isn't it! I replaced the light bulb in my Estes controller with an LED with resistor that another forum member sent me, and now it is safe for Q2G2 igniters.

Were you using Quest Q2G2 igniters? Those are low-current igniters and can light when you do the continuity check with an Estes controller. Quite a surprise, isn't it! I replaced the light bulb in my Estes controller with an LED with resistor that another forum member sent me, and now it is safe for Q2G2 igniters.

Nope, regular Estes igniters. This controller comes with an LED instead of a bulb, and had previously launched Q2G2 igniters with no problem. I took it apart after replacing it to see if there was a short or something I could fix, but couldn't figure out what the problem was. Been happy with the Quest controller, though.

Extemely simple problem to diagnose. If the igniter/starter does not fire with the safety key out, but it fires the instant the safety key is inserted, (And you have an LED lamp), then the launch button is permanently pressed in. This OFTEN happens when people wrap their launch wires around the body of the controller for storage and transport. The wires press the button in light a straight jacket and the button can stick this way or the metal contacts insisde will ebcome deformed and permanently stuck.

This is one of the primary things we check when people bring their own launch controllers/pads to our club launches when we do the safety check.

Nope, regular Estes igniters. This controller comes with an LED instead of a bulb, and had previously launched Q2G2 igniters with no problem. I took it apart after replacing it to see if there was a short or something I could fix, but couldn't figure out what the problem was. Been happy with the Quest controller, though.

Back