A Very Neat Find

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
Freedom Launch was more than a great event for me this year, it was also a chance for LW and I to get some well deserved quality time together. Saturday evening, he brought down all of our books/folders of hand drawn rocket designs dating back to the late 60's, and some of mine from the 80's. What a hoot! We had sooooo much fun laughing at so many goofy ideas, along with seeing a few little kernels of stuff worth keeping in mind. Today I was going through them again, and saw something I didn't remember. Apparently it came with the certificate and letter from Mary Roberts at Estes Industries, when I won a design contest. Feast your eyes in this little jewel.

Estes Iron On.jpg

Yes, it's an iron-on. And I did a flip flop so you could look at it like it would appear on a Tee Shirt. Cool, eh?

Very cool!! I really missed out on Freedom this year. I too just compiled all of my old designs and memorabilia from the mid-90's (when I was a kid) until now. Some of the early stuff is definitely funny... I also found a SU motor I designed with *adjustable delay and you epoxy in the forward closure* and a propellant called "Economax". HA, I knew it! I came up with Economax and LMS first! Ha ha. I love nostalgia. Still have my second rocket ever (Athena--original version) and the manual for my original Alpha III starter kit along with a bunch of catalogs, designs and instructions from the mid-90's on. Also have a small collection of spaceflight photos and memorabilia as well. Cool stuff! Rmember the orange and blue printed Estes flyer that came with 80s-90s starter kits? Lost that, along with a bunch of rockets I just let go or messed up myself. I will definitely encourage my children to SAVE their stuff and cherish it...because you'll wish you still had it one day! Estes Merc-Atlas is the one I really regret...was too young....

Back