5.5" Nike Smoke cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conman13

Reaction score
time to get started on another build! I have always liked the look of the Nike smoke and I figured its about time to build one. it will be 5.5" in diameter with a central 54mm motor with 4 surrounding 29mm motors. the fins will be built based off of John Cocker's method that he used in one of his videos. the open rocket file is below.

View attachment nike smoke.rkt

nike 1.jpg

nike 2.jpg

Last edited:
You are going to inspire me to build the one I have parts setting in the closet for. I have a set of fins Darrell Mobley made for me before he passed and a Performance Rocketry nosecone.:D

You are going to inspire me to build the one I have parts setting in the closet for. I have a set of fins Darrell Mobley made for me before he passed and a Performance Rocketry nosecone.:D

Thanks you should build one.

Well all the parts are ordered minus the nose cone as well as a food saver vacuum bag machine for constructing the fins.

Haha didn't even know. Maybe a drag race is in order when this is done:)

Nah, drag races are lame. Maybe one of these days I will drag it out to Cobleskill. I've flown it twice with the intent of airstarting 2x G64's, neither lit the airstarts. Central motors were an AMW J480BB for the first flight and a AMWProX K1720 Scalded Tiger the second time.

Well got the fin template from open rocket printed out.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409249051.488832.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409249083.072754.jpg

Next was cutting out the fin core out of 1/8" plywood.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409249139.448968.jpg

Now I have to wait until the rest of my stuff gets here to really do anything.

My vacuum sealer came in the mail today so I just have to wait for more epoxy to arrive as well as get some bags for it so I can begin laminating the fin cores.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409346851.077853.jpg

Well the vacuum sealer doesn't pull a large enough vacuum so I have to buy a larger one. Tubes and such will be here tomorrow and I'm talking to upscale CNC about bulkheads and centering rings now.

Well the vacuum sealer doesn't pull a large enough vacuum so I have to buy a larger one. Tubes and such will be here tomorrow and I'm talking to upscale CNC about bulkheads and centering rings now.

The only brand I have found to work is an actual FoodSaver.

That's what I'm looking at now I I'm lucky I can get one used for 30$ on eBay.

Got the tubes in the mail today.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409694765.757167.jpg

Marked the 29mm tubes at 11" sections for the 4 39mm mounts.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409694807.867253.jpg

Motor mount tubes cut

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409697170.543688.jpg

CA was applied to each side of the tube and then sanded smooth.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409697228.992638.jpg

Ordered the centering rings from wingarcher (UpscaleCNC). Should be here Friday and I can start gluing things together.

Looking good!! Are the 29mm tubes going to be plugged if not being used to prevent the ejection charges from blowing out the back? Don't ask me how I found out about that problem:facepalm:

photo-6.jpg

Looking good!! Are the 29mm tubes going to be plugged if not being used to prevent the ejection charges from blowing out the back? Don't ask me how I found out about that problem:facepalm:

Yes the 29's aren't going to have a charge. The 29mm tubes stop before the third ring.

Nah, drag races are lame. Maybe one of these days I will drag it out to Cobleskill. I've flown it twice with the intent of airstarting 2x G64's, neither lit the airstarts. Central motors were an AMW J480BB for the first flight and a AMWProX K1720 Scalded Tiger the second time.

Airstart 4 I200Ws on ignition with a K550W :)

Airstart 4 I200Ws on ignition with a K550W :)

Boo Commercial motors! I was actually contemplating putting it together for a launch at the CTRA Invitational if I go. That would be a 54-1050 White with 2x 29-350 White's at burnout, followed by 2x 29-240 Whites at burnout of the previous air starts.

I've talked a good game about getting this rocket in the air with these motors. It hasn't happened yet as I haven't actually turned up the motor cases to do it. I have the propellant, though...

Boo Commercial motors! I was actually contemplating putting it together for a launch at the CTRA Invitational if I go. That would be a 54-1050 White with 2x 29-350 White's at burnout, followed by 2x 29-240 Whites at burnout of the previous air starts.

I've talked a good game about getting this rocket in the air with these motors. It hasn't happened yet as I haven't actually turned up the motor cases to do it. I have the propellant, though...

Well if you need egging on...... Come do it at potter I'll get photos of the crash for you :)

That be cool to see at the Ctra invitational. Hoping on making it.

Got the food saver

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409951095.332239.jpg

Cut the bags

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409951116.323288.jpg

Set up

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409951142.482940.jpg

The 1/4" piece if plywood I am using as a flat surface for the fin to rest on.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409951187.507328.jpg

Done

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409951202.446461.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1409951220.055827.jpg

You can see the excess epoxy coming out on the second picture.

Seems like you have made a lot of similar design decisions to mine. 29's stop at the 2nd ring, conduits for airstarts, etc. Mine is stock length with dual deployment. The main essentially resides in the cone shoulder. It's still long enough to handle my 54-2550 case, while the 29's will take my 29-6G cases.

The foodsaver bagged fins look great! There's something satisfying about fins under vacuum.

Seems like you have made a lot of similar design decisions to mine. 29's stop at the 2nd ring, conduits for airstarts, etc. Mine is stock length with dual deployment. The main essentially resides in the cone shoulder. It's still long enough to handle my 54-2550 case, while the 29's will take my 29-6G cases.

The foodsaver bagged fins look great! There's something satisfying about fins under vacuum.

Thanks. They do look good in the bags. I'll have to wait to see what they look like when they're done.

Good and bad news. First I got the centering rings today and they look great. I was also able to fiberglass the third fin and they all look awesome. The bad news is that when test fitting the fins in with the motor mounts I came too see that the fin tabs are too small. I don't know how that happened but now I have to get some more plywood and start over. I will get some pictures up later.

Back