5.5" Nike Smoke cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you make tab extensions and fiberglass them to the existing fins? The LOC Expediter I built had that and it held up well.

About Half an inch or so. I think the fin tabs printed out like that because I originally was going to use a 75mm motor only and then when I made the change to the 54 with 4 29 I assumed it would automatically change the height but I guess it didn't. Guess I will just have to build another with a 75mm mount:p

Could you make tab extensions and fiberglass them to the existing fins? The LOC Expediter I built had that and it held up well.

I guess I could do that but I would rather just cut some new fins because I would have to fiberglass the whole fin to do that so the balsa that goes over the core isn't lopsided.

Well I've been really busy with school but I was able to drill 2 1/4" hole for the conduits. I also ordered 5 yards o 1.4oz fiberglass to glass the airframe for some extra strength since the weight isn't a problem.1

ok ordered: metal conduit, more 1/8" plywood, 1/8" balsa and some rail buttons + accessories.

What size clips did you get? Also, are those 1515 buttons? Awfully big for that rocket...

What size clips did you get? Also, are those 1515 buttons? Awfully big for that rocket...

1/4" clips. The rocket is 10.5" tall and will weigh 14-15lbs so the 1515 buttons are suitable for this rocket.

I always loved the Nike Smoke also so I built the 5.5 in for my wife, I did same combo center 54 with 4 29s. I always used the K-695 for the center then did several different combos of 2 airstarts, toughest part building mine was the scratch-built nosecone 39129_101103819946020_7914263_n.jpg did a wooden form then foamed, spun on a lathe to shape then fibreglassed it, got 7000 ft out of 5 flights then on a single motor flight (K 600 something Aerotech-demo motor) chute didn't open at all and watched the nosecone do a 12 ft bounce on the playa and destroy itself. nose has been replaced and the 1 fin that popped loose has been repaired. they are great fliers look forward to pics :wink::cool:

I always loved the Nike Smoke also so I built the 5.5 in for my wife, I did same combo center 54 with 4 29s. I always used the K-695 for the center then did several different combos of 2 airstarts, toughest part building mine was the scratch-built nosecone View attachment 186110 did a wooden form then foamed, spun on a lathe to shape then fibreglassed it, got 7000 ft out of 5 flights then on a single motor flight (K 600 something Aerotech-demo motor) chute didn't open at all and watched the nosecone do a 12 ft bounce on the playa and destroy itself. nose has been replaced and the 1 fin that popped loose has been repaired. they are great fliers look forward to pics :wink::cool:

Thanks. It sound like a lot of people have built it in this motor combo. Can wait to fly it. My nosecone will be bought from somewhere.

Thanks. It sound like a lot of people have built it in this motor combo. Can wait to fly it. My nosecone will be bought from somewhere.
my 2cd nosecone was bought also I mean its a bear of a job to spin that big nosecone on a lathe. what electronics are you going to use or are you going to lite all on the ground ?

my 2cd nosecone was bought also I mean its a bear of a job to spin that big nosecone on a lathe. what electronics are you going to use or are you going to lite all on the ground ?

i'm getting a telemetrum that I will use or tracking and deployment as well as another eggtimer for redundancy and airstarting. I plan on just launching it on a K540DM at LDRS 34.

Ordered some threaded inserts and bolts for the motor retention clips. For anyone with a 29mm or 54mm aft closure what are the lengths? trying to figure out where to place epoxy the aft centering ring.

Got the chute.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1413035015.980039.jpg

Carbon kevlar for fins

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1413035047.896703.jpg

Drilled 1/4" holes and installed the inserts for the clip retainers.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1413035090.166747.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1413035104.613727.jpg

Fins traced out

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1413035139.392549.jpg

Got the balsa and ordered a 1" 15' tubular nylon harness from Onebadhawk for the booster. I will order a second for the main when I can afford it .

Ok a little update from the past week. I ordered my first harness from Onebadhawk recovery and Teddy was great to work with. I didn't know what size i should get and he explained the advantages of the different options he has. I ended up going with a 15' 1' 3 loop tubular nylon harness in military green! Im definitely going back to Teddy for the rest of my harness needs. I highly recommend him for any Harness you may need. Thanks again Teddy:)

Alrighty. Im trying to get the motor mount assembled today. I marked an 1/8" off of the aft end of each motor tube. The clips are .5" tall so an 1/8" exposed of the motor tube works out about perfectly for both the 29mm an 54mm tubes. I aligned the aft ring and applied for drops of CA to hold it in place and will apply an epoxy fillet once the Ca dries. Here is the shock cord I Ordered from Teddy. I have to get another one for the payload bay and I will be set.

SUNP0036.JPGSUNP0037.JPGSUNP0038.JPG

Mixed up 10g. 30 min. epoxy with collide silica as a filler and the motor mount is almost completed.Just have to epoxy the forward centering ring on after the epoxy cures.

SUNP0040.JPGSUNP0041.JPGSUNP0042.JPGSUNP0043.JPG

Very cool! Should be able to do some versatile motor combos with that!

Back