Hobby Lobby Sale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperslug

Reaction score
I received an email today from Hobby Lobby and there are number of rockets and accessories that are on sale now. Worth a look.

Cool...but most times I find I do better with the 40% off coupon that I do paying the sale price. Too bad they won't let you use the coupon and the sale price!!

A Hobby Lobby opened up in Burbank California about a month ago and let me tell you, the freaks were all out, protesting. Both sides of the issue that seems to be in big contention with HLs. Personally, I don't mind that as I find the circus fun and entertaining... ( I don't take sides on the issue)... BUT
I go inside with my 40% off coupon and look on their rocket isle and see very little selection. Bummer! But I did see a pack of Estes F15-0s with a price sticker of $32.95 on it. Aren't these $26.95 retail?!?!? Needless to say, HL WON'T be getting my money; not if they're charging more than retail. Cheeky monkeys! I walked out and rejoined the circus outside. Much more fun!
Daniel

Last edited:
I go inside with my 40% off coupon and look on their rocket isle and see very little selection. Bummer! But I do see a pack of Estes F15-0s with a price sticker of $32.95 on it. Aren't these $26.95 retail?!?!? Needless to say, HL WON'T be getting my money. I walked out and rejoined the circus outside. Much more fun!
Daniel

This is the weirdest thing about HL: Why are they are overpriced on that one item? I've talked to a couple of store managers about that. No answers.

I thought about that one, but big stores like HL tend to have their own shipping and usually don't rely on UPS/FedEx.
I think it's a mistake in their internal accounting/recordkeeping since it seems to be a nationwide problem with a lot of HLs.

Last edited:
Theres one being opened down here in south florida but its opening has been delayed :( :eyeroll: :rant:

I thought about that one, but big stores like HL tend to have their own shipping and usually don't rely on UPS/FedEx.
I think it's a mistake in their internal accounting/recordkeeping since it seems to be a nationwide problem with a lot of HLs.

Correct, however they still have to get it from the manufacturer or a distributor as is probably the case here.

Although I don't always act like one, I consider myself a Christian so I have absolutely no problem with Hobby Lobby, their politics, or the fact that they are closed on Sunday but even if I did, as long I can good deals on stuff I need, I'd shop there anyway.

HL is big enough to get their motors, ALL their motors, directly from Estes, or the distributor. No reason that they got F15-0s via common carrier vs all their other F15 and E16 motors, which are all at regular prices.

That pricing anomaly on the F15-0s has been there ever since the motors came out. I, among others, have brought it to their attention both locally and at the corporate level with no real response.

That said, there was a pack of F15-0s in the Santa Fe, NM store marked $26.95 earlier this week (hanging on a hook in front of one marked $32.95). I snapped it up with the 40% off coupon in my phone. Was in the same store a few days later and found one each E16-6 and F15-6 marked $9.95 (alongside ones marked as usual). Those packs aren't in that store either, now.

I may have to drop into a couple of other stores as we work our way back to Auburn, WA from the post-NARAM visit with my Dad and others in Santa Fe and see what I can see.....

But I did see a pack of Estes F15-0s with a price sticker of $32.95 on it. Aren't these $26.95 retail?!?!?
Yes, and for some weird reason, the F15-0s are the ones they charge more than list price for. Do not know why.

Your store should eventually get in stock everything all the other Hobby Lobby stores have because they stock the same stuff nationally or so I was told by a manager of one of the local stores when I pointed out that they didn't even carry any of the upper stage motors for two-stage kits they sold.

You guys will have to forgive me if this question seems stupid because I don't presently fly the bigger stuff but even if the one size of motors is overpriced, isn't it still a decent deal once you apply the 40% off coupon? Or no?
Michael

isn't it still a decent deal once you apply the 40% off coupon? Or no?
Michael

There's better deals out there in mail order land. There's a few places out there that will cover Hazmat fees if you order over a certain amount of merchandise. If they're are out of state, no sales tax.
I have no problem with HL because of there viewpoints; they have every right to their views as I do mine. What I do have a problem with is them charging OVER retail, wether it be a mistake or not. It's not worth my time finding a manager and try to explain that the pricing is wrong and for them to please correct it. My experience with stores in California is "If you don't like the price, someone else will come along and pay it".
I do try to shop at local stores to support them, but I'm not going to go too far out of my way if it means paying a wrong price.

A long time ago, I was in a HL in Houston and bought all their AT F21 motors for $21.95 a pack if IRC. The cashier rang them up as $2.19 each. I corrected her because I didn't feel right taking advantage of her mistake. That would have been one heck of a deal though!
Then there was this other Hobby shop in Houston that had an old AT F50 (the good ones) with a price sticker that was a couple of dollars lower than the then current retail price. As the owner's wife was ringing me up, she was blabbing to her co-workers how she couldn't wait to take her trip to Israel because she was going to do all these fun things, blah blah blah…… Anyway, she sees that the sticker price was a couple of dollars lower than the price in her computer and says to me, "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm going to have to charge you $2 more". People are funny… and I walked out. They went out of business a little while later. That was a great hobby shop too, and the husband (owner) was great to deal with. Oh well...

Last edited:
Be careful-- by bringing it to their attention, they may start marking them ALL up...and ruin it for the rest of us!

That pricing anomaly on the F15-0s has been there ever since the motors came out. I, among others, have brought it to their attention both locally and at the corporate level with no real response.

That said, there was a pack of F15-0s in the Santa Fe, NM store marked $26.95 earlier this week (hanging on a hook in front of one marked $32.95). I snapped it up with the 40% off coupon in my phone. Was in the same store a few days later and found one each E16-6 and F15-6 marked $9.95 (alongside ones marked as usual). Those packs aren't in that store either, now.

I may have to drop into a couple of other stores as we work our way back to Auburn, WA from the post-NARAM visit with my Dad and others in Santa Fe and see what I can see.....

Be careful-- by bringing it to their attention, they may start marking them ALL up...and ruin it for the rest of us!

That thought has occurred to me.....which is why I let it drop after the initial attempts what - about a year ago now?

I'll drop into my local store (Federal Way, WA) some time early next week and see if there are any other pricing anomalies to the good or bad. We didn't stop at any today and the one in Kennewick, WA (as with all HLs) will be closed tomorrow.

Kenn, we do have one in Ma. The thing is,is it's located in Holyoke.:facepalm: I imagine that's long ride from Amesbury.

Thanks, Mike. Holyoke is a bit of a haul from here. There's one in Manchester, NH, that is the closest for me but not an area I normally get near. As a bonus, if one does go to the store in Manchester, there's a Hobby Town U.S.A. in the same plaza.

Back