Q2G2s OUT of PRODUCTION ????????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Q2G2s are being reformulated to confirm with new BATF regulations.
Well, it's about time! I can't count how many accidents there have been from the MILLIONS of non-compliant igniters of all types that have been shipped by the USPS throughout the history of model rocketry. Renaming them to "starters" helps, too.

BATFE does not set USPS shipping regulations.

The reason that the BATFE wants to clearly identify an "Igniter" as a thing that makes an explosive go off has nothing to do with shipping.

Solar Igniters have indeed been used in bomb making. So have common houshold objects as well.

The side effect of the re-formulation is that Estes Starters can be mailed since there is no HAZMAT.

We will see what the Q2G2 (or "Q2G3") formula allows regarding shipping.

Well, it's about time! I can't count how many accidents there have been from the MILLIONS of non-compliant igniters of all types that have been shipped by the USPS throughout the history of model rocketry. Renaming them to "starters" helps, too.

Give them to me! I fly them all the time!
They have a bit more soot... sure.. but they are louder and have more smoke as well. At our local launches I like to see all the newbies jump after a couple of dozen "woosh-pops" of Estes motors going off the pads and the little roar the Quest motors give, gets their attention!
You should have some paper towels and/or baby wipes in your range geart anyways. The soot cleans off. lol
Keep your B & C birds under 4 oz and you'll be fine. In fact, I think that's the Estes limit as well... yup.. B6-4, C6-0, C6-3 and C6-5 are all maxed out at 4.0-oz. Estes and Quest.
Flea fart ejection??! Haven't seen that happen. The kids and I have launched a few dozen this past year.... no issues!
Seems like you may have had a bad batch. When was it that this all occurred?
Jerome :)

I just bought a bunch of Quest A6-4 and B6-4 engines.
All had Q2G2 igniters, another reason to buy them.
Certain models benefit with an A6-4, an the extra second of delay over an A8-3.
A recent Quest B6-4 performed more like a C engine!
The Quest B6 engines seem to have more oomph than the Estes B6.

They are louder and smokier and can leave more soot on the inside of the body tube.
All my tubes have a "Sealed" CA glue lip on them, going in about 1/2" from the top.
Because it was sealed, I can wipe any soot off with a damp paper towel if needed.

Personally, I wouldn't use a Quest engine in a larger model with a big area to pressurize with the sometimes weaker ejection charges.
I'm still iffy about the Quest C6 engines, but in the right model (thinner or minimum diameter) they're great!

BATFE does not set USPS shipping regulations.

The reason that the BATFE wants to clearly identify an "Igniter" as a thing that makes an explosive go off has nothing to do with shipping.

Solar Igniters have indeed been used in bomb making. So have common houshold objects as well.

The side effect of the re-formulation is that Estes Starters can be mailed since there is no HAZMAT.

We will see what the Q2G2 (or "Q2G3") formula allows regarding shipping.
Did I say that they did?

To sum up the situation regardless of who is responsible - R I D I C U L O U S. ZERO added value to anyone, safety or otherwise.

Cell phones have been used in IED's. lets ban those also big brother!!! And no shipping, it may call the box next to itself. arn't they going a wee bit overboard?
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies

Your government at work. Looking busy by fixing what isn't broken and ignoring what is...

If anyone test this, post the results in a new thread. I would ask Estes but I will assume it is a trade secret formula....but my assumption could be wrong.

If you're talking about the yellow stuff on the new igniters, I've heard that it is corn starch. I thought I heard it here.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to good ol' nichrome wire igniters? Seems to me they work just fine... and I bet you could light a BP charge with one too if you had a 2S LiPo behind it and your altimeter could handle the current.

A red hot piece of nichrome wire seated against a bp grain will definitely ignite it, no pyrogen needed. I always seen the pyrogen as a way to keep the nichrome from shorting out. As for igniting bp motors this is much easier done, than igniting bp charges. More power, thicker wire, you determine how long the power is applied to the wire. If there were altimeters that had longer latch times to get 30 to 36 gauge nichrome to glow red hot there would be a way to make it work for charges.

Got word from Bay Area Rocketry that Q2G2s are no longer available due to an issue with the ATF. They still come with Quest motors, but are not sold in bulk anymore.

I used to use these for ejection charges and at 4 per rocket you go through them pretty quickly. Fortunately, Jim Hendricksen was able to help me out with that!

Here is the response I got from Quest about the Q2G2 igniters.

No, we have not discontinued the Q2G2 igniters, they are currently out of stock due to supplier issues. We expect to have them in stock late 2014. They will be the same formulation and reliability.

--
Customer Service
RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.
AeroTech, ISP & Quest Divisions
2113 W 850 N
Cedar City, UT 84721

Ph: 435-865-7100 Ext. 2
Fax: 435-865-7120

Email: [email protected]

Jerome

exactly when did you get that response from Quest?

The video of Bill Stine at NARAM 56 Manufacturer's Forum does not agree with that response.

I did not create a transcript of the video, so the best thing to do is to watch it and carefully listen to what Bill says.

[video=youtube;ccxMD-SqkKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccxMD-SqkKE&index=17&list=PLzdBQL1k_NRixOVpY-clC77NNY-adoybJ[/video]

Here is the response I got from Quest about the Q2G2 igniters.

No, we have not discontinued the Q2G2 igniters, they are currently out of stock due to supplier issues. We expect to have them in stock late 2014. They will be the same formulation and reliability.

--
Customer Service
RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.
AeroTech, ISP & Quest Divisions
2113 W 850 N
Cedar City, UT 84721

Ph: 435-865-7100 Ext. 2
Fax: 435-865-7120

Email: [email protected]

Jerome

All right. I think we can definitively say they are OOP. New formulation or not, production difficulties or not; when you have a product that runs out of supply and continues to be unavailable for many months, I think it's safe to call it.

Now if they come out with new ones, Q2G2 is OOP. If they come back later on with the same ones, they have been RE-introduced. How does that strike everybody?

Now if they come out with new ones, Q2G2 is OOP. If they come back later on with the same ones, they have been RE-introduced. How does that strike everybody?
That's cool, but will we call them igniters or starters?

That's cool, but will we call them igniters or starters?

If you would WATCH the video you would see Bill Stine clearly explain that they will be Starters.

He did not say if they will be branded as Q2G3 or Q3G1.

All in all I'm glad that I'm as old as I am. Thru the years all I've seen is the government get stupider and stupider rather than smarter. To nit pick on something with a few nano grams of pyrogen no matter what the formula, and having to call them something else is just plain bull. I really feel sorry for our children, all future generations. God almighty help us!

All in all I'm glad that I'm as old as I am. Thru the years all I've seen is the government get stupider and stupider rather than smarter. To nit pick on something with a few nano grams of pyrogen no matter what the formula, and having to call them something else is just plain bull. I really feel sorry for our children, all future generations. God almighty help us!

Exactly... OL JR :)

exactly when did you get that response from Quest?

The video of Bill Stine at NARAM 56 Manufacturer's Forum does not agree with that response.

I did not create a transcript of the video, so the best thing to do is to watch it and carefully listen to what Bill says.

[video=youtube;ccxMD-SqkKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccxMD-SqkKE&index=17&list=PLzdBQL1k_NRixOVpY-clC77NNY-adoybJ[/video]

I emailed them Friday, August 8th and got a response first thing Monday, August 11th.

Jerome

Back