PML spring blast off build...60% ARCAS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VARifleman

Reaction score
When they offered 15% off quantum tube, I couldn't pass it up. I ordered some parts for a project I have been thinking about. It is very similar to one I just completed. ...

Sounding rockets are cool....

1402015166181.jpg

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
Sounding rockets are cool....[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting to ask, what are "sounding" rockets. I see it all the time but have no idea what it is

They scream all the way up-"wheeee"!!
(Sorry-couldn't resist..)
Sounding rockets are used primarily for upper atmosphere research by carrying instrument packages for meteorological measurement. These are the racehorses of the rocket community with high performance pedigrees.

The one this will be a scale rocket of had a 43 second burn time and was launched out of a tube to put it up to 100km.

Got a little done on it today, dry fit up for the bottom is done. I need to pick up a good size hole saw for this project to cut the centering ring and the bulkplates for the avbay.

1403378209643.jpg

Has it really been 2 months since I did any thing with this? The momentum from the level 2 project got this one started again.

Quantum is sanded heavily with medium sandpaper and cleaned with pvc to prep for epoxy. Phenolic is heavily sanded to allow the epoxy to soak in to the fibers. The urethane tailcone is sanded heavily and cleaned with pvc cleaner. The aeropack retainer has fine threading inside, so it gets degreased with pvc cleaner before attachment.

The urethane tailcone to quantum tube is very short, so I used Methyl Methacrylate adhesive (Plasticwelder), and then used JB weld for the urethane tailcone to motor mount and for the aeropack. The coupler and centering ring is for alignment and is not glued right now.

1408670900227.jpg

1408671192836.jpg

I agree. Sounding rockets are the coolest and I'm particularly partial to the ARCAS. Nice work so far and keep it up!

I missed a bit in this, but to catch up, I used a heavy amount of epoxy on the root of the fin since I didn't have much room for internal fillets like usual. I used 5 minute epoxy for the external fillets.

I drilled and tapped for the rail guide and the alignment pin to assure the tubes don't twist out of alignment on launch binding the guides.

I reused the internals of the av bay from my aerotech hv arcas, and used 2-56 screws to keep it in place.

I am reusing the nosecone from the HV ARCAS for now, but hope to put on a madcow fiberglass ARCAS nosecone when they get back in stock.

1416107247435.jpg

1416107331827.jpg

Got it painted today since the weather cooperated. This is with an Aerotech ARCAS HV nosecone. It is a little off of what the boattail ARCAS would have. Hopefully I can get the right one soon. I plan to fly at GRITS with this and some others.

1417394934068.jpg

1417394987239.jpg

1417394969809.jpg

Back