PML Phobos Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwilley

I’m pretty sure it will work…
Reaction score
I managed to get this $100 kit for $50 during a silent auction at a local club high power launch. I was wondering why PML would price this rocket at 100 dollars anyway, because that is a lot of money compared to LOC rockets of the same size. Now I know. I am extremely impressed with this rocket. Unlike lock precision rockets, all the parts fit together perfectly with no sanding required!:shocked: The PML "Quantum Tube" that I always thought would be kind of a knock off, was actually pretty great. The slots were nice, the tube was rugged, and won't have to go through the pain of filling those annoying spiral seams. The shock cord was nice tubular nylon. The chute was absolutely beautiful! I am impressed with the very high quality ripstop nylon and the alternating gores. If you are looking for an affordable yet really cool and durable chute, this is a great option. The G10 fins were also very nice. I have already gotten some of the build done. I built and glued in the motor mount, and assembled the payload bay/nose. I also put together the shock cord and the piston ejection system.
I will keep you posted. I hope someone learns something or likes this!
Here is a pic:
20230904_150856.jpg

PML has some really good stuff. I used a PML Small Endeavour for my L1, and still fly that rocket. Have fun with the Phobos!

Just got the fins on and I am putting fillets on right now. I will post another picture as soon as I can.

Here is a pic. The fins have been attached and the last set of fillets is drying. The fillets may be hard to see in the pic because the epoxy I'm using is clear.
IMG_1893.jpg

Looking good! I, too, like the PML kits. I did my L2 on the Black Brant X they use to have. I have several old PML kits and fly them regularly. I like the piston ejection, just clean it out after every flight. I usually talc the piston before use.

Back