What Became Of The Launch Pad TALOS???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joined the two sustainer tubes with eight very small screws today... (holes in the coupler will get the CA treatment for strength)

This is neccessary to eliminate any longitudinal slop between these sections... (this area is now as rigid as one uncut BT-80 section)

It will also allow for maintenance of the bearing sub assemblies should that become an issue...

Will continue to sand and fill, sand and fill, sand and fill... (did I mention sand and fill)

This rocket will be able to be completely finished before gluing anything together...

Plan to add all of the body accents to the sustainer... (for a more scale-like appearance)

When all is said and done, this will be considered a "sport-scale" model...

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

While waiting for the elliptical and conical cones to arrive, I made this...

Think I may just have to make two cones for this rocket...

This one gives the Talos a face lift...

Finish will be grey/red/white...

IMG_1902.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Joined the two sustainer tubes with eight very small screws today... (holes in the coupler will get the CA treatment for strength)

This is neccessary to eliminate any longitudinal slop between these sections... (this area is now as rigid as one uncut BT-80 section)

It will also allow for maintenance of the bearing sub assemblies should that become an issue...

Will continue to sand and fill, sand and fill, sand and fill... (did I mention sand and fill)

This rocket will be able to be completely finished before gluing anything together...

Plan to add all of the body accents to the sustainer... (for a more scale-like appearance)

When all is said and done, this will be considered a "sport-scale" model...

Looking really good... :) OL JR :)

Hey Top,

Did you get your computer issue resolved?

No. Right now I'm logged in as "Guest", so it does'nt know it's me.
It's been running without a Crash for nearly an hour now, and even let me do some administrative things like uninstall some things by entering an Admin Password.
I even chanced a Game of Mahjong Titans.
Shhhhh... Don't tell my Computer!

No. Right now I'm logged in as "Guest", so it does'nt know it's me.
It's been running without a Crash for nearly an hour now, and even let me do some administrative things like uninstall some things by entering an Admin Password.
I even chanced a Game of Mahjong Titans.
Shhhhh... Don't tell my Computer!

You're signal has gone dark...

Anyway, if you're still getting this...

Decided to add eight more screws to the bearing area for "symmetry"... (plus it can't hurt)

Then CA'ed, primmed, sanded, and countersunk all... (primed, sanded, ect...)

The screws came from a laptop my son took apart the other day... (perfect timing)

They were a perfect fit for this area... (have extras if you want some)

If you copy, One ping only ... (one ping)

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

Wow! That's pretty High Speed!!!
I can't wait to get back to working on mine, but as I've said, the weather has to get nice so I can sand things.

Wow! That's pretty High Speed!!!
I can't wait to get back to working on mine, but as I've said, the weather has to get nice so I can sand things.

Yeah, it looks fast... but probably will never bust 2000' agl... (not to mention mach)

Last edited:
It's all good...

Spent four years in the Marine Corps... (aircraft electrician A6-E Intruder)

We used to have a saying... (FUBAR)

but it only had one meaning... and (BOHICA)

come to think of it, most of them only had one meaning...

The conical cone arrived today... (the threaded aluminum will come in handy for attaching to the elliptical, not to mention the adding of weight)

After using a bench sander to get rid of the lower 1/4", it was scuffed and primed... (this is extremely light weight aluminum)

Got some color on the rear sustainer fins... (A nice shade of "Target Red")

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

Veco Cone.jpg

Last edited:
Got some done on the interior tubing...

They are layed out in their respective places along the airframe...

Base coat of white was applied to forward vanes...

They will get the "Target Red" finish...

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice "Clean Work"!!!:clap::pop:
I'm glad I started this Thread, as it has been a great pleasure to see your Build coming to life!:D

Very nice "Clean Work"!!!:clap::pop:
I'm glad I started this Thread, as it has been a great pleasure to see your Build coming to life!:D

Thanks...

I think this is more fun than building a kit...

I get to make all of the decisions... (right or wrong)

Thanks...

I think this is more fun than building a kit...

I get to make all of the decisions... (right or wrong)

Indeed! I try to make myself buy a "Kit" everytime I am at the Hobby Shop. It never happens anymore.
I do go look in their "Parts Bin", and see what stuff is over by the RC Plane Area that could be used for Rockets.
Since I started "Scratch Building" everything, the whole Process has become much more enjoyable.

Hey Top,

I'm looking for ideas for the (4) longitudinal body moldings... (the ones that come out of the vents)

I had cut some BT-50 tubing in 1/4" widths lengthwise... (but it isn't round enough; it looks flat against the BT-80)

Thinking maybe 1/4" launch lugs... (cut lengthwise down the middle)

These body tubes are ready for paint... (but the molding must go on first)

Anyone else following this thread have any ideas here???

IMG_1922.jpg

The elliptical cone came in the other day... (here is a dry fit of the Talos nose cone)

Also have been working on the side vents... (the contours are made by using sand paper on the insides of various sized tubing)

The side moldings coming out of the vents... (coming soon)

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

Sustainer is in various paint stages...

Motor mount has block installed for attaching a rail guide...

Booster is nearing completion...

IMG_1938-1.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

Hey Top, I got the booster almost finished the other day... (still needs buttons, and a second stage coupler)

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

RIM-8 White.jpg

Last edited:
It's funny that there are a small coalition of "Haters" that are trying to vote the Star Rating on this Thread down.
It has turned into a magnificent Build Thread, and If I could find the Folks that don't like this sort of Rocket, or the way it is built, I'de explain to them face to face in a polite fashion why I don't agree with the way they are.
I hope that when you finish this Bird that you post a Video of its Flight here, to inspire others to try it, and to kick the folks that don't like it in the FACE!!!

It's funny that there are a small coalition of "Haters" that are trying to vote the Star Rating on this Thread down.
It has turned into a magnificent Build Thread, and If I could find the Folks that don't like this sort of Rocket, or the way it is built, I'de explain to them face to face in a polite fashion why I don't agree with the way they are.
I hope that when you finish this Bird that you post a Video of its Flight here, to inspire others to try it, and to kick the folks that don't like it in the FACE!!!

Ok, Here it is, like it or not... (if you do hate, hate the Oligarchy - let's get this hate in the right place)

Finally figured out how to make the main sustainer moldings... (remembered this trick from the Apogee Gyro Chaser build)

Cut 1/2" strips of bass wood and soaked them with Windex... (re-soak and wait fifteen minutes, the windex allows the wood to bend without cracking along the grain)

Placed them along a 1/2" dowel and wrapped with strips of pillow case... (choice of wrap is important and a straight line was placed on the dowel, very important)

Wait 36 hours and presto... (curvey strips of bass wood to apply to sustainer)

Also pinned and epoxied the elliptical to the ogive... (this area will need weight anyways so it can't hurt)

I give this thread 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 countem, 5-STARS Beeotches... (who doesn't love Minions)

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

minions.jpg

Last edited:

What is a "star rating" and WHY is it important??

Sometimes I just don't get it...

Looks like it's going well... interesting stuff to be sure and looking forward to seeing the results no matter what happens...

What difference does it make what the "haters" think?? None that I can see...

Later and KUTGW! OL JR :)

What is a "star rating" and WHY is it important??

Sometimes I just don't get it...

Looks like it's going well... interesting stuff to be sure and looking forward to seeing the results no matter what happens...

What difference does it make what the "haters" think?? None that I can see...

Later and KUTGW! OL JR :)

Don't worry, I don't take the internet that seriously that I actually care, but since the star rating is there, it's just something else to talk about when you got nothing really rockety to add.:)

Don't worry, I don't take the internet that seriously that I actually care, but since the star rating is there, it's just something else to talk about when you got nothing really rockety to add.:)

That's why I don't see the point in all these sort of "rankings" and such for threads/topics or information... if someone feels that information posted is incorrect or in error, then they should speak up and point out the error or misinformation, countering it with the correct information. There's NO need for turning it into some sort of "popularity contest"... In fact I think that does a great disservice... It discourages discussion of anything that might be "unpopular" by the masses or might draw "criticism"...

The hay talk forum has a similar "like this" feature... thankfully they don't have a "thumbs down" type nonsense... Such rankings just promote the status quo of what's popular or trendy and have NOTHING to do with actually conveying truthful but controversial information... They only serve to discourage it...

Later! OL JR :)

Back