The Onboard Video Thread...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have the build thread anywhere other than the (now defunct) Rocketry planet? I'd love to see photos of the completed av-bays and your avionics/camera setups.

I'm afraid my bays aren't very interesting. Just components mounted on plywood sleds, and in this case, highly "retrofitted". The bay is about 8" long and has two Ravens, one tiltometer, two timers, 5 9-volt batteries, 6 screw switches and a Veho Muvi camera. The camera is on the bottom of the pic, and it's pinned against a quartz slide that covers the hole in the airframe.

Jim

Altimeter Bay Small.jpg

Matthew,

I'm playing with you...

There IS the part about discussing Onboard Video...

Hey! Look! We're Discussing! :)

And though this next link is a bit off topic, It's probably a lot easier to find it here than in the Gallery forum... Video Tip: Film it going up... And the results... (Skip the decent...).

Here's a classic YouTube video:

Model Rocket w/Camera Crashes At Sea
[video=youtube;58RdTBpLCGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58RdTBpLCGo[/video]
Rapidnadion

That Video is hilarious!!!:lol:

I love how it goes only so high then goes sideways/horoizontal!!!:rofl:

Last edited:
That Video is hilarious!!!:lol:

I love how it goes only so high then goes sideways/horozontal!!!:rofl:

It survived that water landing, but didn't last for much longer... Here's the video:

[video=youtube;4a46tv-R8-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a46tv-R8-k[/video]
Rapidnadion

Here's a video from onboard an R/C Rocket Glider. Boosted by an E6 reload, burning for 8 seconds (and piloted on the way up, this one was in good trim so needed little correction). Note the V-tail control surfaces moving around, before it changes to a forward view.

[youtube]byNWmHn8Pq0[/youtube]

The model was based on the old "Cuda" kit with a totally different fuselage layout. The GearCam camera was mounted above the wing, on a mount that could flip it 180 degrees (a one-shot flip from looking back, to look forward)

Cuda_Gearcam_Pod_1.jpg

Cuda_Gearcam_Pod_2.jpg

- George Gassaway

Always wondered how you did that... servo release on the rubber band to rotate the camera around to the forward view?? Love the cruise missile view BTW...

I'm curious how your mechanism worked to rotate the camera around... that's a nifty idea...

Later! OL JR :)

On one of these flights of our Big Daddy Akavish, I taped a broken P&S camera to the rocket using electrical tape. The camera's LCD screen didn't work making it useless for taking stills. But, it was still able to capture video (and it cost a lot less than $400!).

[YOUTUBE]IvSfHQNGfhk[/YOUTUBE]

I've found that onboard video can be useful for diagnosing and curing problems. Our Big Daddy Akavish often had a wobbly leg after landing. I had assumed it was a result of hitting the ground. The above video, however, revealed that it was happening on the way up. This helped us refine our design for later members of the Akavish family.

-- Roger

Regarding my Cuda R/C R/G with the rotating camera pod:

Always wondered how you did that... servo release on the rubber band to rotate the camera around to the forward view?? Love the cruise missile view BTW...

I'm curious how your mechanism worked to rotate the camera around... that's a nifty idea...

The trigger was a 3rd servo that the model originally used for controlling a Flap, to help with S8E/P spot landings.

I rigged the 3rd servo to simply retract a 1/32" diameter rod from being about 3/8" external, to retract slightly inside of the outer fuselage surface. That released a rubber band that had been holding the pod to look rearward.

Another rubber band then rotated the pod 180 degrees. Leverage was arranged so that band had less leverage to rotate it, while the hold-back band had more leverage. You can see an arm that the hold-back band used for leverage. The pod itself was free to rotate, using 1/16" music wire rotating inside of some plastic tubing of a bit more than 1/16" ID.

At the time, the only servos I knew of rotated about 90 degrees. Now, there are servos that rotate 180 degrees. So, if I flew that same model today, I'd rebuild the camera mount to use a 180 degree servo. So then I could rotate it front, back, to one side, and would be able to move it back and forth in any direction, no one-shot like the original. Also I'd use a Keychain cam, as the limited range and ground equipment needs of the Gearcam were a hassle (You will note some loss of signal gaps in the video).

Of course, I'd really like to get into FPV, First Person View. Well, I could have sort of done that with the Gearcam, but I could not have trusted it. And I never had a big screen I could really see real-time to pilot the model with. I'd want to do FPV with video goggles. I have seen really neat onboard airplane FPV videos where a 180 degree servo is rotating the camera from side to side (and also in pitch), often commanded by head-tracking sensors (usually in FPV video goggles) that point the servo the direction the pilot turns his head.

For now, if I want to have an onboard camera to look forward, and look back, it is simpler to just tape two keychain cameras onboard looking those directions. Barely noticeable in that video, in the tail view, about 1 second before the camera flipped, smoke from a forest fire miles away was coming into view to the left of the screen. If it had had two cameras, it would have gotten good footage of that forest fire smoke.

OK, two more videos, both from the same flight. My Orbital SkyDart Project, OSP.

[youtube]CjiYWL0AzjA[/youtube]

[youtube]FW8IqppJnUY[/youtube]

https://georgesrockets.com/GRP/video/Airvid/SkyDart_video.htm

The pilot flying the Skydart was not too skilled with aileron models. But it also turned out something was screwy with the elevons. For the SkyBooster, I flew that, and fired the E9 manually by R/C to stage the SkyDart. The SkyBooster was a bit tail-heavy, so that is why it "mushed" around a lot. The water seen trickling along the wing leading edge is from the water ballast in the nose that leaked out during boost and 2-3 seconds into the glide. The water ballast in the nose balanced out the mass of the burning propellant in the two G12's in the tail.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Regarding my Cuda R/C R/G with the rotating camera pod:

The trigger was a 3rd servo that the model originally used for controlling a Flap, to help with S8E/P spot landings.

I rigged the 3rd servo to simply retract a 1/32" diameter rod from being about 3/8" external, to retract slightly inside of the outer fuselage surface. That released a rubber band that had been holding the pod to look rearward.

Another rubber band then rotated the pod 180 degrees. Leverage was arranged so that band had less leverage to rotate it, while the hold-back band had more leverage. You can see an arm that the hold-back band used for leverage. The pod itself was free to rotate, using 1/16" music wire rotating inside of some plastic tubing of a bit more than 1/16" ID.

At the time, the only servos I knew of rotated about 90 degrees. Now, there are servos that rotate 180 degrees. So, if I flew that same model today, I'd rebuild the camera mount to use a 180 degree servo. So then I could rotate it front, back, to one side, and would be able to move it back and forth in any direction, no one-shot like the original. Also I'd use a Keychain cam, as the limited range and ground equipment needs of the Gearcam were a hassle (You will note some loss of signal gaps in the video).

Of course, I'd really like to get into FPV, First Person View. Well, I could have sort of done that with the Gearcam, but I could not have trusted it. And I never had a big screen I could really see real-time to pilot the model with. I'd want to do FPV with video goggles. I have seen really neat onboard airplane FPV videos where a 180 degree servo is rotating the camera from side to side (and also in pitch), often commanded by head-tracking sensors (usually in FPV video goggles) that point the servo the direction the pilot turns his head.

For now, if I want to have an onboard camera to look forward, and look back, it is simpler to just tape two keychain cameras onboard looking those directions. Barely noticeable in that video, in the tail view, about 1 second before the camera flipped, smoke from a forest fire miles away was coming into view to the left of the screen. If it had had two cameras, it would have gotten good footage of that forest fire smoke.

OK, two more videos, both from the same flight. My Orbital SkyDart Project, OSP.

[youtube]CjiYWL0AzjA[/youtube]

[youtube]FW8IqppJnUY[/youtube]

https://georgesrockets.com/GRP/video/Airvid/SkyDart_video.htm

The pilot flying the Skydart was not too skilled with aileron models. But it also turned out something was screwy with the elevons. For the SkyBooster, I flew that, and fired the E9 manually by R/C to stage the SkyDart. The SkyBooster was a bit tail-heavy, so that is why it "mushed" around a lot. The water seen trickling along the wing leading edge is from the water ballast in the nose that leaked out during boost and 2-3 seconds into the glide. The water ballast in the nose balanced out the mass of the burning propellant in the two G12's in the tail.

- George Gassaway

Thanks... great explanation...

Sounds like some interesting ideas, especially with FPV... all one needs is a pocketful of money.... LOL:)

REALLY extremely cool projects you have working there... So you dump your ballast in flight via a bleed orifice I take it... You have it plugged up on the pad and when it lifts off it pulls the plug?? Very cool...

Later! OL JR :)

It survived that water landing, but didn't last for much longer... Here's the video:

[video=youtube;4a46tv-R8-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a46tv-R8-k[/video]
Rapidnadion

I tried to watch it, but I forgot that Youtube Crashes my Computer, and that's what happened.:(

ETA: I updated my Computer and was able to watch it. I enjoyed it, but I guess the Novelty of seeing it go horizontal had kinda' worn off.
Also, it was kinda' sad to see it get destroyed at the end.
Boy, she was a thing of Beauty with her "Guidance Malfunctions". Regardless of Safety, I'de always rather see a Rocket fly Horizontal than Vertical. Yours flew Horizontally quite well.:clap:
R.I.P. Phoenix.

Last edited:
T So you dump your ballast in flight via a bleed orifice I take it... You have it plugged up on the pad and when it lifts off it pulls the plug??

Yes. Filled on the pad, and plugged until liftoff, then slowly draining the rest of the flight. It was something like a 1/8" ID brass tube exiting the model that the water drained out of. On the pad, it was plugged with 1/8" OD brass tubing which allowed the water to flow inside, before silicone tubing connected to it was pinched off to act as a plug. There would have been a little bit of leakage, but petroleum jelly acted to both prevent leaks and allow it to slide freely at liftoff. The fill/plug part was mounted to the launcher like an umbilical. There's a few photos of it on this page, though not detailed, in the NARAM-46 flight photos:

https://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/OSP/OSP.htm

I first did it with an R/C X-1 model in 1997. The G12 propellant mass made it very tail heavy, and the X-1 was very sensitive to CG location. So it had to have dumpable ballast in the nose to counter that. More info on the X-1:

https://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/X1.htm

I got the idea form a ME-163 model in an R/C plane magazine. It used an I motor, and took off horizontally from the ground. Water was in the nose. For theirs, a rubber balloon was filled with water, and the balloon provided pressure to squirt the water out. For my X-1, I used a plastic tank, which used gravity to drain the water during boost and a couple of seconds into glide.

- George Gassaway

Here is a video I took of my first attempt at cable cutter deployment. My 808 camera is mounted facing up so I could get the main chute deploying but when mounting cameras facing up, you will sometimes have to deal with white outs from the sun. [video=youtube;HkKmph7txmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkKmph7txmo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUblhadwa7btSBJj7_QfueSg[/video]

Yes. Filled on the pad, and plugged until liftoff, then slowly draining the rest of the flight. It was something like a 1/8" ID brass tube exiting the model that the water drained out of. On the pad, it was plugged with 1/8" OD brass tubing which allowed the water to flow inside, before silicone tubing connected to it was pinched off to act as a plug. There would have been a little bit of leakage, but petroleum jelly acted to both prevent leaks and allow it to slide freely at liftoff. The fill/plug part was mounted to the launcher like an umbilical. There's a few photos of it on this page, though not detailed, in the NARAM-46 flight photos:

https://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/OSP/OSP.htm

I first did it with an R/C X-1 model in 1997. The G12 propellant mass made it very tail heavy, and the X-1 was very sensitive to CG location. So it had to have dumpable ballast in the nose to counter that. More info on the X-1:

https://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/X1.htm

I got the idea form a ME-163 model in an R/C plane magazine. It used an I motor, and took off horizontally from the ground. Water was in the nose. For theirs, a rubber balloon was filled with water, and the balloon provided pressure to squirt the water out. For my X-1, I used a plastic tank, which used gravity to drain the water during boost and a couple of seconds into glide.

- George Gassaway

Very, very cool, George... KUTGW!! OL JR :)

The video is my Level 3 rocket Phred a 6" modified ultimate Endeavour on a CTI L1720WT at the the last launch from our Pickrell, NE site.
Due to my misunderstanding of GPS coordinates it took several weeks to find the rocket.
[video=youtube_share;jpktEaGDPlI]https://youtu.be/jpktEaGDPlI[/video]

When we found the rocket it was about 15 or so feet from the road in a soy bean field. We almost stepped on it before we saw it.
Camera was an 808 held on with duct tape.

Last edited:
Here's Gustav Piepenburg's video of his Madcow Frenzy Massive using a L-625 Skidmark motor... Personally, I love seeing the shadow of the smoke.

[video=youtube_share;3_UWePODV-w]https://youtu.be/3_UWePODV-w[/video]

Added the video to the list w/his Ok. Discussion thread found here.

Here is video from my maiden flight of my Rocketry Warehouse Broken Arrow XP. Details in video commentary.

[video=youtube;6D_cUZmGnxg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D_cUZmGnxg[/video]

Back