LOC IV Jr. Level one Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I prefer White Lightning over Redline. I like the brighter flame and more smoke from the White. I was going to use my LOC-IV for my Level 1, but ended up using my Minie Magg instead. In fact, the motor I used was an H123W. There was a cert special at the time, and I got the reload for $10.

Thats how much mine cost. Great photos!

Today I did a HUGE amount of sanding on the bird. Then took advantage of the 48 degree weather and got the first three coats of primer on. After this dries I will sand again and do one final coat. Pictures to come.

Make that 5 coats. BTW do any of you know why primer isn't sticking to the NC? I did scuff it up...

Make that 5 coats. BTW do any of you know why primer isn't sticking to the NC? I did scuff it up...

Did you wash it good too? Most cones have a mold release agent on them which is not paint friendly.

Adrian (who has forgotten to wash cones before too)

Did you wash it good too? Most cones have a mold release agent on them which is not paint friendly.

Adrian (who has forgotten to wash cones before too)
OOOOHHHHHH, That would be it. Didn't know I had to. Don't know what i'm going to do about it now. In the morning I will check how well
it is sticking and if it's not I will sand it off/chip it and spray it again.

I always wash them first with very hot water and dish detergent. Then sand them down, then wipe them down with rubbing alcohol.

Checked the 'cone this morning and realized it wouldn't chip off. So instead of fighting I filled it in and Sprayed the first color on. If you remember the cone and fins are green and the body is black. I started out doing all the green. After it dries I will mask it off and paint the black. Not a pretty sight now. Pictures when done.

SAM_1165.jpgSAM_1166.jpgSAM_1168.jpgHey everyone! I need your opinion about an issue i'm having with my black paint. I don't know if you can see it in the photos but the gloss black is acting weird and is making swirley cloudy grey areas in the finish. I originally thought it was the temp it was drying at but even after drying it at 65 in my house it is still like that. It does this with every coat. Anyone know what it is. Also here are the pictures. I think it looks nice. Just need to fix that problem and clear coat it.

it may be something on the body tube but you could try to wetsand that area and repaint to see if that makes a difference. sometimes paint does this because of the humidity but since it keep happening in the same place I don't think that is the reason. Wait and see what others think.

it may be something on the body tube but you could try to wetsand that area and repaint to see if that makes a difference. sometimes paint does this because of the humidity but since it keep happening in the same place I don't think that is the reason. Wait and see what others think.

Yeah well I'm going to visit my uncle on Wednesday and he knows more about paint than I do.. I'll just make him help me. HAHA

Going to my uncles today to figure out whats wrong with my paint job.

Turns out I just didn't put enough on. On Sunday I will get more paint and try again.

Wow! I put that off for a while... I got the fins and Nose cone painted. I tried to do the BT today but I just CANNOT get a coat without running and it's driving me insane. I need to sand this down and try again, maybe next time :(

Patience is key. just spray a lot of light coats instead of a couple heavy coats to avoid the running.

Wow! I put that off for a while... I got the fins and Nose cone painted. I tried to do the BT today but I just CANNOT get a coat without running and it's driving me insane. I need to sand this down and try again, maybe next time :(

Several light coats rather then trying to do it all at once is best. With certain types of paint (Krylon fusion for example) you can do the light coats like 7-10 min apart without issue. I've also noticed that cold can be a factor. Before you sand it let it cure fully. Chances are the run(s) will level out by themselves. and if not at least your paint won't gunk up in a big rubbery mess when you try to sand it.

Several light coats rather then trying to do it all at once is best. With certain types of paint (Krylon fusion for example) you can do the light coats like 7-10 min apart without issue. I've also noticed that cold can be a factor. Before you sand it let it cure fully. Chances are the run(s) will level out by themselves. and if not at least your paint won't gunk up in a big rubbery mess when you try to sand it.

Yeah I did notice a lot of them went away. I did use Krylon on mine but am guilty of not waiting long enough between coats.

Got the NC and Body Tube painted today to the point I am actually happy with them:grin::grin::cool::cool::grin::grin::clap:. Now I am going to the store after dinner to get a clear coat. I will probably do 2 coats of that and I will be done. I know you shouldn't paint with the NC in but can you clear coat it with it in? Thanks for sticking with me. Also I don't remember if i said it yet, but the launch should be April 12th at MMMSC if it's not cancelled. Though at temps like these it won't take too long to melt.

Got the NC and Body Tube painted today to the point I am actually happy with them:grin::grin::cool::cool::grin::grin::clap:. Now I am going to the store after dinner to get a clear coat. I will probably do 2 coats of that and I will be done. I know you shouldn't paint with the NC in but can you clear coat it with it in? Thanks for sticking with me. Also I don't remember if i said it yet, but the launch should be April 12th at MMMSC if it's not cancelled. Though at temps like these it won't take too long to melt.
Spraying a clear on is all the same as spraying paint on, consider putting a couple wraps of masking tape on the shoulder instead. AND MAKE SURE you get a clear that is compatible with your paint, and that you follow the dry time instructions for both. Trust me, it's no fun spoiling a nice paint job right at the end.

Ok so I got the clear coat on. Luckily it was easier than I thought. Now I am doing some simulations to do the final calculations for the launch next week. Crossing my fingers the mud clears up!

SAM_1288.jpgSAM_1277.jpgwoops! Here they are... I feel it looks better in person than on camera... I'm happy to not have to worry about paint anymore and I 'll be even more happy after it's on the ground

Looks great! Getting nervous about your Level 1 flight?

Very... Ididn't know about the danger of having low fins on the rocket. I'm not that worried though because here in the east we have sod farms so it shouldn't hit too hard.

The rocket came out way more than I thought it would. Instead of the packages 29 oz, it's 56 oz. with parachute and motor case.

Very... Ididn't know about the danger of having low fins on the rocket. I'm not that worried though because here in the east we have sod farms so it shouldn't hit too hard.

The rocket came out way more than I thought it would. Instead of the packages 29 oz, it's 56 oz. with parachute and motor case.

You should be fine with the fins landing on soft ground. I launched my LOC-IV several times with no damage. All of the kits I've ever built have ended up being much heavier than the advertised weight. I attribute it to my over-building.

You should be fine with the fins landing on soft ground. I launched my LOC-IV several times with no damage. All of the kits I've ever built have ended up being much heavier than the advertised weight. I attribute it to my over-building.

mine too. i added a plywood bulkplate and eyebolt to the NC so that added some. As well as 1/2 a pound of nose weight.

Man the first Cert. flight is always the most nerve wrecking. I was shaking so much at the pad that I had a hard time putting in the ignition. You will do fine and when you pass, you can go buy an "I" engine from the vendor. :D

vBJ3M9s.jpg

Back