Horizontal camera

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlasboy

Reaction score
I'm going to put a camera in/on my L3 project. I'm leaning towards the Mobius. I'm not crazy about mounting it on the outside of the rocket although I do like some of the 3D mounts I've seen.

So, my plan is to just put it in the av bay and have it video horizontal.

I assume most folks that use cameras have them pointing to the ground, but wondering how many of you use horizontal and if reasonably happy with what you got?

Qu8k did it in their high altitude attempt:
[video=youtube;rvDqoxMUroA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvDqoxMUroA[/video]

I'm going to put a camera in/on my L3 project. I'm leaning towards the Mobius. I'm not crazy about mounting it on the outside of the rocket although I do like some of the 3D mounts I've seen.

So, my plan is to just put it in the av bay and have it video horizontal.

I assume most folks that use cameras have them pointing to the ground, but wondering how many of you use horizontal and if reasonably happy with what you got?

I prefer a downward view because it's more interesting on the way up. But, if looking out the side is the best you can manage, go for it. Any video is better than none! :)

-- Roger

Last edited:
How big/fast is your rocket? If it's not going supersonic, if shouldn't be hard to mount the Mobius on it to get a downward view. I've used the ultra-high tech method of "attaching the camera to the side of the rocket with electrical tape" a number of times with great success.

-- Roger

Not ss. M motor. About 11 feet tall tip to bottom (6" fb).

My L2 flight had a horizontal GoPro in the AV bay. It worked well. It is also a nice way to get some pad view video on other flights in the row. That is probably not a factor for an L3 flight though.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_qchsA1Hs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Diq_qchsA1Hs[/video]

Depending on where your camera is mounted, the descent might be upside down, but that's easy to fix with editing software if you want.

The Mobius is a really good camera choice. I have taped it outside for sub Mach flights, but I think you would be happy with an inside mount side view for your L3 flight.

I did a rocket with horizontal camera, wasn't bad but on some flights if the rocket goes on an angle, the camera might be pointed up into the sky and you don't really get much out of it. However when it goes normally the view is pretty good you get a real feel of acceleration.
And my :2:... you can have the best of both, I did it on one of my rockets (haven't had a chance to fly it though):
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?59328-Using-of-magnets

What about mounting inside on a wedge - pointing down at a 30-45 degree angle?

Or - something I want to try - Camera inside, lens on an extension cable, outside under a shroud. You can find the extension cable for the Mobius on Ebay and other places..

Back