Ok, how to implement this? Pre-printed labels

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, app programmer. Your mission... If you choose to accept it, is to create a label generator.

One of the important items on my rockets is to have a label. I spend a lot of time building them (or dragging them with me from location to location awaiting building), and after launching them, I don't want to lose them because I didn't label them for anyone who might find it before I do.

So, I'm looking for a nice clean (read: my handwriting is awful) way of printing my name, email address, and REWARD for gluing into the rocket. I like having them on the bottom of the nose cone.

What I'm looking for would be a program that I can enter all the info above into, and it would result in a .pdf that has (depending on size) the line of text one over the other over the other, or done in a ring, and a mark for center. This .pdf would be scaled to fit a standard 8.5"x11" sheet of paper, with an array of common body tube sized labels that could be printed (on label stock or regular paper). You cut your labels out, and affix them to your nose cones.

For even more complexity, and usefulness, some of these could be conic sections so they could be glued to plastic nose cones as well.

As always, if you are caught, we will praise you for your efforts.

Good Luck!

This message will self-destruct in 5 billion years (give or take a few).

I just use my Brother's label maker and make a dozen at a time. I stick them on the fin can. The labels have my NAR#, name and phone #. No rewards offered, since I know the vlaue of the rocket and I don't want to make the person who recovers it think they are going get rich. I will give them something for their efforts, which depends on their attitude. Luckly my rancher friend just gives them back to me when we bowl, run into each other around the ranch,or, while I am out hunting on his property. What a nice reward it is to find one of your missing fleet laying in the bed of your truck, after you have chased elk around all day.

you can buy Avery labels that are clear in many sizes. print them out with whatever you want them to say. i don't think you can make them print with text in a circle, but if you can make it in MS Paint save the file add it to the label template and your set. this is what my family uses. we just put the ph# on them. if you want them to be special and unique have Stickershock make them for you, i don't think you could come up with something that he could't do.

OK since you don't like the idea of cheap, simple, proven labels from a label maker here is another suggestion.

If you have an older copy of MS Office the "Word Art" tool is a way to create "circular" words. The new office 2010 doesn't have word art but you can use what appears to be a way to do it like this: Drawing Tools - Format, look at Text Effects - Transform

If you don't have MS Office, OpenOffice has Fontwork, you might have to work for it making 2 half circles of data, but it looks doable from just looking at it quickly.

You probably already have a decent label printing capability on your computer, word/works/office etc.

Avery puts out a label program that you can download for free from their website, I think it has a limited number of uses before you have to buy it.

There has to be a ton of freeware options for label making.

If you run linux, try glabels. It works like a champ, you can use any standard labels from Avery, 3m etc. Large jobs can be batched, there's a good GUI and CLI. Text, clipart, images, barcodes, whatever can be included on the label. The only thing you have to buy are the labels. The software is open source.

https://www.glabels.org/

A few months ago someone suggested printing QR codes on labels and attaching those to the rocket. Presumably the QR code would have some message, like your name and phone number and could be easily scanned via a cell phone. Glabels is certainly up to the task, in fact I printed out a few. Here's how you can do it:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/how-to-create-qr-codes-in-ubuntu

One thing that I haven't seen stated in any of the excellent responses, just for those who may not be aware..... If your labels are not printed using a laser printer, they MUST be sealed using a clear coat. All inkjet inks will run and smear when wet, some more than others. Laser printer toner will run if saturated with many solvents, but usually stand up to water, at least for a reasonable period of time.

One thing that I haven't seen stated in any of the excellent responses, just for those who may not be aware..... If your labels are not printed using a laser printer, they MUST be sealed using a clear coat. All inkjet inks will run and smear when wet, some more than others. Laser printer toner will run if saturated with many solvents, but usually stand up to water, at least for a reasonable period of time.

Contact paper or packing tape does an OK job protecting ink on paper as well.

Found a method in word...

From a new document -> Insert -> Shapes -> select the "donut". Then size the donut to the dimensions you want (there is a control for that).

Drawing Tools/Format -> Shape Fill -> select "No Fill"
Drawing Tools/Format -> Shape Outline -> Weight -> select the outline Weight you desire
Drawing Tools/Format -> Text Effects -> Transform -> select "follow path". Click into the circle, then type your desired text, it will appear line of text over line of text until you click outside the circle. Play with the formatting (text color, bold, line weight, spacing) as needed.

Copy/paste it several times if you want more than one to a page. Save to file... print.

I wish I could move the text out more from the center, make it larger (and bold), but this will work for now. My plans are to cut these out of the page, use rubber cement to glue them to the balsa nose cones/bulkheads,then seal them with CA, and sand the edges if necessary. Of course the eye bolt will need to be applied if this is attached to the recovery section.

Still if someone had a simple app for it...

Last edited:
Just write on the coupler or nosecone shoulder with a sharpie.

I just got a Wildman Jr back that was lost for 2 1/2 years, hunter turned it in to the Ranger Station in park.

Guess what........ labels & stickers that were on it were no longer legible, the sun & weather had faded/destroyed them, BUT the name & phone # I put on with magic marker got my rocket back.

Form follows function......... always. If your printing/writing is that bad, have a rocket buddy do it for you.

All that's needed is name & phone #

Back