Indiana Rocketry Class 1 Launch 9/29/13 Lafayette In.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
Folks.....I'm VERY proud too announce that on Sunday the 29th of September.....

Indiana Rocketry returns to the SOD!

That's right, in part due too the efforts of Richard Cash. We now have permission to go back to our former summer field for the remainder of the year until we prepare to hit the "BIG" field again this winter.

Far 101 rules will be in effect and, we will have a selection of rails/rods set-up to provide you and, your younger *rocket scientists* a chance too "Warm up the equipment!" Large recovery area......

We will start at 10am and, go until we run out of motors (or food/jokes.)

A link on our homepage shows an aerial view of the property with excellent access to I-65 in Lafayette Indiana for those who have not been there before.....MANY fast food restaurants/ big box stores within short distance...etc.

For some of you....this is an excellent chance to meet some great people and, prepare for some of the larger launches that will be coming up later this year.

Please park on the access road (Stay off the Sod) and, "Respect the Sod".....Look forward too seeing you there!

*As a side note.....Having been with the club since day one....It has been VERY frustrating to lose the Purdy Sod Farm from our calender NOT....NOT because of "something" we did.....
It was an economic downturn in the profit margin of Sod production that caused Mr. Purdy to convert the land back too crop production......

We FULLY expect that the change back will be permanent and, that WE WILL continue too keep the GREAT relationship with the Purdy family.....that we have ALWAYS had.....

Their support of our humble club and, dynamic hobby....along with your support....will continue too KEEP this sport alive and, well in west central Indiana for years too come.....*

Thank-you.:D

Just a quick follow up......We currently do not have a vendor set up for the event due too shortness of this posting/scheduling.....
IF anyone needs to pick up a small "G" motor for the event and, time is running short.....
Please post the request here and, maybe one of our members will be able too oblige you.;)

Now that is is mentioned... I am out of reloads and was waiting for the return of the season to purchase them "fresh". I could use something Aerotech in the F to G range at least as big as a F40. F40 is just barely going to have adequate speed off the rail according to Open Rocket. Maybe an F52 or G53....

I have a few Estes A and B motors to donate to the cause. I know Richard loves those B6-4's!!

Once again, we will be there rain or shine (hopefully shine!)
Time too warm up some smaller stuff!

See you there!:cool:

I would like too thank everyone who showed up at the Sod Farm today for our awesome launch!:D

Sure there was some drizzle/drool early in the morning but, the skies opened up and, produced an incredible day of flying with near perfect weather from noon on!

David spent the day snapping a whole bunch of what i'm sure will be great pictures (to be posted soon!) while still showing us he can whip the smaller stuff out and, wow the crowd.
Jacob Might and, father spent the day flying some real sky rippers and, congratulations on your first DUAL DEPLOY!:wave:
Of course, good friend Tom Mcfee showed that you really can create/fly some unique stuff on a smaller budget too!

I want to point out that we had alot of new folks come out to fly/spectate along with some folks who saw our sign on the road and, stopped in too relieve their early days in rocketry.....years ago!

Now that we are back too the Sod for good during the summer....(Thank-You Mr. Purdy).....We will be hosting another launch on Saturday the 12th of October starting at 10am! From there we will head back too Ash Grove in November on to fly the "Big Stuff".

To all our Range Folks and, everyone who helped setup/teardown......Thanks!

See you in October!;)

I'm trying out a new image workflow, hopefully it works out well.

Justin Treptow's awesome black scratch built rocket

Richard is now a Zumba instructor!

Justin's super modified Mustang on a Blackjack

Jacob preparing his dual deploy flight

away on a CTI smokey H

Justin's Fatboy on a D24T

One of Sam Midkiff's many Deltie flights

My Lil' Nuke on an F40W, my favorite motor for it

Curtis Reynolds' Sonic Boom, which suffered a separation

Curtis' big Mosquito

(nowhere near Sam's car but it looks like it!)

Randy Milliken's Alpha III testing a new RB.com product

Curtis' Sonic Boom nose cone was getting awful lonely up there...

(it ended up landing a short walk away on the grass!)

Jacob's nice scratch AMRAAM on a CTI White Thunder H

Randy's Big Bertha (notice the nice rail!)

Jacob's scratch 3" rocket on a CTI Red Lightning H (they went for a long walk on this one!)

My trusty LOC IV on an Aerotech Mojave Green G

Randy's Tres cooking up the rail on three Cs

Richard Cash's Oracle

Curtis hooking up his Excel Jr with an F26FJ

Tom McFee's awesomely shiny rocket winning closest to the pad recovery

Curtis' Crayon on a G80NT

Sam with one of the Holverson Tangents that we flew about a million times as demo rockets yesterday

Curtis' two stage Fat Boy on a D12-C6

It was a perfect day after the clouds rolled out. Thanks for coming everyone, see you next month!

Great pictures as usual David. Yesterday was a lot of fun and daughter and I had a great time at the launch (well, once we got her over freezing...).

Did anyone happen to get a picture of my daughter's scratch built rocket (Finelda) that was launched earlier in the day? I was focused on her and her rocket and didn't pay attention to see if anyone had a camera out. My camera needs to go to a repair shop so I didn't get any pictures of any launch.

Thanks again everyone! October 12 is a quick turn-a-round. With a Hobby Lobby opening in Valpo on the 7th, I might have a chance to stock up on D12's.

Awesome pics David. Many thanks for taking the time to get out the camera, and posting here. Your many talents are greatly appreciated.

The change in the weather from the morning drizzles and low ceiling, to the afternoon blue skies was quite amazing. If anyone needs any better proof, check the pictures David took of one of my first flights (an RTF to test the winds). I set free a small plastic cone on a 12" chute at 700+'. We watched and watched, it finally landed many minutes later within a few hundred feet of the pads. I took that as a good luck sign, and pushed my luck the rest of the day.:cool:

Great photos again, Dave! I really appreciate you photographing my launch... dad and I are a little slow on the shutter finger. Great launching with you guys, I look forward to many more this year!

Back