Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getmore

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Now I have to pick one out to build. Let's see.How about the Mini Honest John. But the Astron Sprint XL is tempting. But Ho Jo it is.

IMG_20130717_165723_901.jpg

Last edited:
Now I have to pick one out to build. Let's see.How about the Mini Honest John. But the Astron Sprint XL is tempting. But Ho Jo it is.

Just do it like the rest of us. Start one... get to a point you have to wait for glue to dry and start the next one.... and repeat unit you either run out of kits or room on the workbench! :p

Jerome

The Honest John is a great rocket! it's just slightly unstable with tiny fins and an A10, but it is a great reliable rocket on A3s. a nice low flier, but I removed the 12" chute. the BT was so small it never opened, and when it did it was way too large. I flew it without a parachute at all, but recently put a tiny estes 6" parachute on it, but haven't tested it yet. I had a flight late one evening with it, lost track of it, and found it the next morning. the motor casing had fused to the motor mount tube, and I just ripped the whole thing out. When I put a new tube in, it might have been slightly off center possibly hence the instability. Regardless, a great small rocket
good choice!

I figured "No more for Getmore" wouldn't last long - not saying that's a bad thing.

Just do it like the rest of us. Start one... get to a point you have to wait for glue to dry and start the next one.... and repeat unit you either run out of kits or room on the workbench! :p

Jerome

Yep...having multiple bags on hand is just to tempting when stuff is setting up.....

IMHO....build the Max! Max's rule....all of them...Der Red Max, Mini Max, Mega Max, Great Big Max....

Yep...having multiple bags on hand is just to tempting when stuff is setting up.....

IMHO....build the Max! Max's rule....all of them...Der Red Max, Mini Max, Mega Max, Great Big Max....

I had the Mega Max in my hand then I put it back and grabed the Mini Max. There is a small school yard close so I mostly needed some rockets to launch there with one of the work bud's and kid's.

The Honest John is a great rocket! it's just slightly unstable with tiny fins and an A10, but it is a great reliable rocket on A3s. a nice low flier, but I removed the 12" chute. the BT was so small it never opened, and when it did it was way too large. I flew it without a parachute at all, but recently put a tiny estes 6" parachute on it, but haven't tested it yet. I had a flight late one evening with it, lost track of it, and found it the next morning. the motor casing had fused to the motor mount tube, and I just ripped the whole thing out. When I put a new tube in, it might have been slightly off center possibly hence the instability. Regardless, a great small rocket
good choice!

Did you use all the clay with the kit?

Clay? I don't think mine came with any clay...
Didn't say anything about it in the instructions.
I got mine for christmas in 2011, maybe they added clay since then?

I do remember it in the Bullpup
The Mini Honest John could definitely benefit from some clay.

I was able to get started on the honest john tonight and the fins in this kit are way off by my opinion so I up scaled them. Now they look right to me.

IMG_20130722_182212_435.jpg

IMG_20130722_190047_339.jpg

Last edited:
mine didnt come with clay but got it shortly after it was released - heard it was unstable on the a-10 & saw one launched that was - I put about a 3-4 gram split shot sinker in the tip of the nose along with a decent amount of epoxy - probably 2 grams worth - flies great on the a-10

Could you post the CG with weights after paint and everything just so i can figure out how much weight I need to add to stabalize mine?

Thanks!

Thanks so much!
The HOJO has had three crashes due to instability. On all three the rocket climbed to about 75 ft before going totally haywire and spiraling in every direction beforehitting the ground right as the ejection charge went off. flies great on A3s though...

I'll try more nose weight, but I don't want to go through the hassle of ripping off the fins...

I recall Jumpjet was on here some time ago and they did address the issue by adding clay to the kits. I'm on my phone or I'd link the thread.

I would start with the cg one inch in front of the fins with the rocket in full flight ready. It should track good there if not add more till you like it. In my case I will start around 10 1/4 inches down from the nose tip.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion.
What would you recommend for ballast? I don't have any clay, but might be able to get some...

Two in the bones. Next will be the mini max and I might as well do the swift along with it. Once I have them all in the bones stage I will begin the finish stages.

IMG_20130727_084049_775.jpg

They look nice!

Sticking with Estes Paint scheme?

Yes with all of them. I got a problem with the swift the balsa for the fins don't look to be stamped out. Is this how the kit should look.

IMG_20130727_104755_173.jpg

That surprised me on my build of the Swift too.
I can't remember where, but somewhere in the instructions there should be a template you trace on to the Balsa, and then cut out. It takes some sanding but they can turn out pretty well if you take time.

Ah ha now see the blind man. Thanks I saw that but didn't see the temp part of it.Also the wood is a bit smaller than the temp so I am going to go to my balsa stash box and replace the wood.nute did you find anything for nose weight yet.

Back