Estes Crossfire ISX Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Garvin

Male Strumpet
Reaction score
Got back from my weekend bike trip down to the Hill Country to find a box of rockets on my porch! I got the Estes V2 (I'll build next), Loadstar2, Crossfire ISX and a little Mosquito for my dinkie trio. (220, Quark, Mosquito) I'd been wanting to build and fly a Crossfire for a while.

CFISX1.jpg CFISX2.jpg

Nicely equipped for a Skill 1....fins go through the tube, and there some work to be done for the tail cone. (It's attached to the nosecone)

CFISX3.jpg

The motor assembly is decently tough, with thick centering rings rather than the thin cardstock....and with the block insert all glued up it's pretty stout.

CFISX4.jpg

Inserted into the body tube and lined up with the fin slots. You can see the tail cone attached to the nose....gonna take some cutting and trimming to get it out of there.

CFISX5.jpg

And the tail cone free'd from it's prison and trimmed up.

CFISX7.jpg

Tail cone installed, fins sanded, shaped and ready to install.

Installing the fins....very easy install on this one, easy to line up, but just a little fiddly getting them seated properly:

CFISX8.jpg

Once they're all on, do the fillets and let her setup overnight:

CFISX9.jpg

Man I like the looks of this one. Second time I sees it here in a short space.
HMMMMMMMMM, why do I keep seeing a "Pay Now" icon. :smile:
Anywhoo...nice build thread.

Okay, here's a couple more. The Crossfire is at that point where you just have to wait...it takes a day for all the glue to properly set and cure....it takes a day for the paint to fully dry and harden before I can do the decals and clear coats.

Today was paint shop day. Primer went on this morning:

CFISX10.jpg

Then a light sanding and the color coats. Body got Gloss White while the nose got Banner Red:

CSIFX11.jpg

Tomorrow I'll apply the decals, and once they dry a couple coats of clear to seal everything up.

The Crossfire is almost done. I got the stickers on....they're the thin metallic type for the fins and black top piece, the "crossfire" name is the thicker type.

CSIFX12.jpg

I decided to paint the tail cone gold instead of red.....just personal preference and to make mine different if another Crossfire shows up on Range Day....BUT, I used Testors enamel model paint, so it'll have to fully dry a day so I can mask it off for the clear coats....don't want a wrinkly tail cone.....

Yours turned out a LOT nicer than mine.....very nice !

I like the gold tailcone ,that adds a nice touch.

Great job :cheers:

Paul T

Thanks guys.....you're too kind. Paul, yours turned out really well.....have you flown it yet?

I've got stoopid pager this week.....get stuck with it every 7 weeks.....fortunately with our India crew I don't have it 24x7 anymore, just Noon to 8:00 pm....In the Texas summer that works because I do stuff in the morning, then hide in the house from Noon to sunset and go out at night. Maybe I'll get some flight time in this weekend early in the morning?

Thanks guys.....you're too kind. Paul, yours turned out really well.....have you flown it yet?

I've got stoopid pager this week.....get stuck with it every 7 weeks.....fortunately with our India crew I don't have it 24x7 anymore, just Noon to 8:00 pm....In the Texas summer that works because I do stuff in the morning, then hide in the house from Noon to sunset and go out at night. Maybe I'll get some flight time in this weekend early in the morning?

Fred ,

Myself and a few lads from the club are going to launch a few rockets at our smaller field (good for A-Gs)on Sunday ,so I do plan on sending the little bugger up !

As a matter of fact ,I have a bunch of winter projects that are going on maiden flights.

Take care

Paul T

Awesome Paul.....Good luck and hope all have perfect flights!

Here's the Crossfire finished up:

CFISX Final.jpg

As soon as I get out to the (classified) Missile Range....I've got a few Maiden Flights to launch as well.

Out of envy, I too will be painting my Tail Cone Gold. That looks AWESOME!!! Here's where I am at with my Crossfire.:

Fins complete!:

Tomorrow I'll attach the Shock Cord/Chute/Cone to the Body Tube.

Well, now I just wait for the Shock Cord Mount to dry, then it's time for Paint. This is the first Rocket I've built in Years, and it was just as enjoyable as I remember it being. I have some more Rockets on Order, so hopefully they show up today or tomorrow so I can stay busy.

Back