GLR T-Bolt Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Continuing my quest for rugged everyday and every condition flyers, I ordered a Giant Leap Rocketry T-Bolt.
I have never owned a GLR kit. I've bought items from GLR back in the early 2000s, but nothing recently.
The T-Bolt seemed to be a good requirements fit. Tough. Versatile. Simple. Easy to build.
I ordered it with a Slimline 29mm adapter as honestly, I don't see myself shoving to many 38mm motors in this.

I was a bit tardy on getting photos of the parts... but all that is done in this picture is bondo putty added and sanded off the body tube. The spirals on the "Magnaframe" tubing are like the Grand Canyon.

And the bell shaped motor retainer is JB welded on. I must admit, I'd probably never buy one myself, but they are cool looking!

The kit is VERY complete and the quality seems first rate.

2013-05-03-T-Bolt-0001.jpg

Cool Jeff. You will like GLR. I am finishing up a Mariah 38 myself. Kent is very helpful should you need any. The T-Bolt will rip on 38 mm. It will be a blast on 29 mm. Good luck with the build.

Chris

I am very interested in this kit, for the fin can alone. Please update as much as you can :)

Edit: and yes I know I can but the fin can alone.

Last edited:
I am interested in your build thread since i'm waiting for a Doppler Shift to be re-stocked. The TBolt is very similar but I don't like the design quite as much as the DS.

Subscribed!

David I have a rev A, and two Rev Cs. They work and I still use them.
Hope to get more pics online tonight. Close ups of the fin can.

Jason I too wanted the Doppler Shift. But the kit was not that expensive and I figured it was a good intro to GLR.

Here are the pictures of the fin can. Keep in mind I have only done some light sanding to remove some molding flash around the perimeter of the holes from what I am assuming came from a hole saw used to make the holes. I do not have any fincans to compare this against so perhaps it is nothing more than a lightened ACME fincan, or a GLR original. I just don't know.

But the holes had flashing (not a lot) and the fin mold lines took a little sanding (I did not want to blunt them). Also note one fin where the mold did not align well.

All the differences in 'surface texure' you see however I now a result of ME adding it during sanding. Everything was there before. There is nothing that looks smooth or that looks sanded, that did not when I was finished still look smooth or sanded.

2013-05-04-T-Bolt-0001.jpg2013-05-04-T-Bolt-0002.jpg2013-05-04-T-Bolt-0003.jpg2013-05-04-T-Bolt-0005.jpg2013-05-04-T-Bolt-0006.jpg

The problem with a T-Bolt build thread is the rocket almost falls together. If you leave out the JB Weld for the bell retainer, and I used 30 minute epoxy instead of the 3hr System III, I could have been done in an afternoon. (Clarify: I meant if it were not for the long JB Weld cure time, and me using longer cure epoxy on other components, it could have been done very quick indeed!)

Here I have marked rectangles where the fin can will be bonded to the airframe and slathered thickened System III. With alcohol and paper towels at the ready, I slid the fincan into the epoxy, wiped off the excess and let it cure. There is only one major step left to go. Mount the super mount. It must be why GLR calls it Almost Ready to Fly (like in the R/C world).

Jeff

2013-05-04-T-Bolt-0008.jpg 2013-05-04-T-Bolt-0010.jpg 2013-05-04-T-Bolt-0013.jpg 2013-05-04-T-Bolt-0014.jpg

Last edited:
Subscribed, I have always wanted to get a good look at this rocket. Giant Leap Rockets are just cool. I have both Mariah 38 and 54. My next target is the Talon 3.

My OCD is killing me...it doesn't appear those holes on the fin can line up at all.

The lightening holes are nice but with the fin can exposed I think I would prefer the solid fin can. It would probably cause less drag also.

If I were building it (and I might), I would fill the holes with a VERY light mix of epoxy and microballoons, just enough epoxy to hold them together. The Acme fin cans are notoriously heavy, so the lightening holes are welcome, but the drag? Not so much.
-Ken

Dan +1 . Im guessing a hole saw made those . Honestly , I bet there is more drag produced by those holes , then if they where left alone .

Eric

Wow. If the holes in the fin can have you guys freaked out, wait till you see the rail guide standoffs! ;)
I have the super mount (the chock mount installed... just need to get the pics). Basically the rocket is done.

Time to prime! I like it. It's a solid 'hunk of rocket'. It's a tad too minimum diameter for me, but thats what'll make it rugged (I hope). I am not interested in height. I just want launch it with a variety of G's and H's and get it back on a small chute without the rocket cracking in a dozen places. And to that, I think it'll do great.

More pictures to come. Like I said, you guys are gonna freak out when you see the rail guide standoffs. :)

Wow. If the holes in the fin can have you guys freaked out, wait till you see the rail guide standoffs! ;)
I have the super mount (the chock mount installed... just need to get the pics). Basically the rocket is done.

Time to prime! I like it. It's a solid 'hunk of rocket'. It's a tad too minimum diameter for me, but thats what'll make it rugged (I hope). I am not interested in height. I just want launch it with a variety of G's and H's and get it back on a small chute without the rocket cracking in a dozen places. And to that, I think it'll do great.

More pictures to come. Like I said, you guys are gonna freak out when you see the rail guide standoffs. :)

Aren't they just the extended Acme rail guides?

One of the guys in our club has this rocket and it always flies straight and fast! Very cool rocket that you launch to incredible height and speed without spending a hundred bucks on a motor! Nice job.

I think I will get me one of these later on. Its an awesome slick looking rocket.

So the pictures below deal with the 'super mount' for the shock cord. Though not rocket science, I admit I did not think of it. Basically you have a piece of thick coupler tube drilled, a piece of threaded rod put through the holes, and ground to be flush with the circumference of the coupler. The holes are sized such that I believe the rod had to be threaded in.

You sather epoxy on the threads to smooth the threads to protect the kevlar shock cord. I got a little messy with that as I did not stick around while the System III with wood flour cured. So it ran a bit.

Once the entire threaded rod is coated and cured, you are directed tie on the kevlar.

You then use the flat MDF stick provided in the kit to get epoxy down into the tube to the right area. I thicken the epoxy a lot and was very careful when sliding the stick down. So I got the epoxy pretty much where I needed it. Then I used the same stick to push the mount down the tube to the correct depth. To me it seems you could have done all this first, before the fins and before the retainer nozzle. Getting the epoxy into position would have been easier from the back. The you would pushed the mount in from the front just as directed. I only thought of that afterwards... Six of one...

Viola. Done. (I did not get a picture of the actual insertion as I ran out of hands. :) )

2013-05-05-T-Bolt-0015.jpg 2013-05-05-T-Bolt-0016.jpg 2013-05-05-T-Bolt-0017.jpg 2013-05-12-T-Bolt-0001.jpg

Last edited:
And primer is applied. You can see the thick tube sections the launch shoes will get epoxied to. Of course I'll have to sand off the paint on them....
2013-05-12-T-Bolt-0002.jpg 2013-05-12-T-Bolt-0003.jpg

Jeff - Thanks for the build thread. I've got the box to build one of these in my dining room.
Where'd you find System III 3 hour epoxy ? I can find System III but not 3 hour.

regards,
Peter Grace AI6PG

Jeff - Thanks for the build thread. I've got the box to build one of these in my dining room.
Where'd you find System III 3 hour epoxy ? I can find System III but not 3 hour.

regards,
Peter Grace AI6PG

This is the System 3 epoxy I use, T-88. Best structural epoxy out there, IMHO. It says 4 to 6 hour set time, but typically will set faster.

Thanks Big Bucks. Thats the stuff. Maybe it's not 3 hour. I never checked because I use it and go to bed. :) It's set in the morning. :)

Thanks Jeff et al,
I just ordered 1/2 pint of T-88 via Amazon.

Hopefully it arrives before I need to build my GLR T-Bolt.
I to perform a built step and then go to bed. May take a week of steps, but it gets done.

Peter AI6PG

Three days

Engine Bell with JB Weld
Fin Can
Shock Cord Mount

Or do one before work, one after, and one the next morning. It's really than easy. :)

Paint has arrived... I'm really liking this rocket. It got a little heft to it, yet should be a solid performer.
2013-05-19-T-Bolt-0001.jpg

Yeah... I had about 2/3rds a can of yellow to use. ;)

Back