• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Altimeters! Altimeters! Altimeters! (A "must see" sale)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Aspiring to L3? Just moving into dual deploy? Just need an extra alt for insurance sake? Whatever the reason, this sale may be for you. I have five classic altimeters / flight computers below that are available in a mix-and-match fashion (more on this later)...

First up are two Missileworks RRC2mini's. This "workhorse" altimeter has been a favorite of many notable flyers (e.g., Gary Tortora) since it's release in 2007. Very versatile in it's set up utilizing a push-button sequence which allows for changes right at the prep table to account for flight day conditions. Like all Missileworks products, "it just works." For more detail see the RRC2mini manual. These two altimeters, serial numbers 1932 and 2013 have both been flown between 8 and 10 times and have a perfect flight record and, to my recollection have both been sent in and updated with the latest software load from Missileworks. Price for these are $55 each shipped to lower 48 (original retail $79 plus retail).

20130418_083302.jpg

Second up are two Perfectflite Stratalogger SL100's. This recording altimeter has been very popular since it's release ~2 years ago. It can be configured with pushbutton sequencing or more extensive configuration can be done via computer interface. It is designed to work up to 100K feet and has a mach immune design for those high performance flyers. It also features an audio output connector to drive external high volume piezo's available through Perfectflite. For more detail see the SL100 Manual. These two altimeters have 3 or 4 flights each, again with perfect flight records. Price for these are $65 each shipped to lower 48 (current sales direct price is $72 plus shipping).

In conjunction with/addition to the above, I have one DT3U USB programming cable for use with the above altimeters. Price for this is $25 shipped to lower 48 (current direct price is $27 plus shipping).

20130418_080513.jpg 20130418_083954.jpg

Next is the G-Wiz Partners HCX flight computer. This is designated a flight computer versus an altimeter due to it's extended capabilities beyond standard dual deploy. Besides standard apogee and main outputs (with or without time delays), the design supports two additional pyro outputs that can do a combination of staging (up to three stages), clustering, timer and camera pulse sequencing. The design supports both accelerometer and barometric detection at up to 500 samples per second. Setup is done via computer connection and, as an added bonus for Apple users, G-Wiz software runs on both Windows and Mac systems. The board also supports mini-SD card data storage so data can be downloaded directly to your computer after flight. The board can even be set up to support a remove-before-flight jack and/or breakwire detect; also uniquely, the breakwire input can be turned into an analog input to do data sampling/recording during flight. The above are just a few of the many features of the HCX; for more detail see the HCX manual.

A couple of comments on this particular HCX and G-Wiz in general... This HCX was acquired new ~5 years ago in an upgrade/trade-in offer from G-Wiz. It has been flown 5 or 6 times and has worked perfectly every time with the exception of one flight where the mini-SD came unplugged and the full data file was not recorded for that flight (BTW, now I just put a strip of electrical tape on the SD connector during flight to eliminate this issue; also note that removing the SD card during flight in no way affects the operaton of the pyros as dual deploy sequencing was performed to spec on that particular flight). I am saying all the above because, outside of West Coast flyers where the G-Wiz products are very popular and used often, some in the Eastern half of the US have a less-than-stellar view of G-Wiz products; thus, in my opinion, the best way to purchase one of these very capable flight computers is to purchase one that has been used/tested in flight and proven reliable--and this one has. Price for this is $125 shipped to lower 48 (current retail is $235 plus shipping) and will include the optional remove-before-flight jack and, as a bonus, also five mini-SD cards plus a USB reader/interface.

In conjunction with/addition to the above, I have one USB programming interface and associated cable for use with the above flight computer. Price for this is $25 shipped to lower 48 (current retail price is $35 plus shipping).

20130418_080006.jpg 20130418_080232.jpg

THE SALE "FINE PRINT" (PLEASE READ BELOW):

1) I prefer payment by money order. If paying by Paypal a 3% fee will be added to the total.

2) In the first paragraph above I mentioned mix-and-match, this is because I am giving discounts based on bulk buys in this sale to pass on shipping savings and reduce my packing time. If you buy two altimeters price is reduced $5 (e.g., buy two RRC2mini's and get them for $105 shipped versus $110 separately), if you buy three or more altimeters price is reduced by $15 (e.g., buy two SL100's and one RRC2mini's and get them for $170 shipped versus $185 separately). Discounting is based on altimeter purchases only (not interface boards).

3) This sale will be conducted to encourage bulk buying (reasons stated above) so altimeters will be allocated to buyers first on the basis of how many they want, and secondly, like most TRF sales, by incoming PM request times (you can liken this to a Dutch auction with the variable being # of items purchased instead of bid price). To give a fair chance for all TRF members to both see the sale and put in buying requests, I will take PM requests until noon Pacific time on Sunday, April 21st. At that time I will allocate product purchases based again on, 1) number of requested items, and 2) timing of incoming request. I will then post results and request payment from "winning" purchasers. If for some reason payment is not made for a purchase, after 7 days I will go back to the incoming purchase requests and reallocate product to the next successive purchaser/requestor.

4) Have fun with this sale and, if fortunate enough to be a winning purchaser, enjoy the great products offered!

Last edited:
You do realise that you can use Paypal without any fees don't you? Have the buyer send you the payment as a personal gift. I understand your sale your rules, and thats fine but Paypal is so easy.

You do realise that you can use Paypal without any fees don't you? Have the buyer send you the payment as a personal gift. I understand your sale your rules, and thats fine but Paypal is so easy.

Well, you can... but calling the payment a gift does not set well with my conscious and thus I don't do it.

Well,sent as payment is feeless also I believe,but I may be wrong on this. Once again,your sale your rules, good luck.

Day one update: requests have come in for all items listed and, as expected, in differing mix/match quantities. Taking indications of interest for another ~48 hours.

Less than 18 hours left and I found one additional item to be added to the sale, a brand new Perfectflite AEB1 siren/beeper compatible with the SL100 altimeter amplifying its output by up to 26dB. Buy it for $13 shipped. Purchase outright or add to an existing request to bump up your item count.

20130420_223707.jpg

Sale complete (at least this phase).

Interesting... One of the reasons I did it this way was to experiment because so many people would complain that others were fast to respond, or they were late, or had some other conflict the day of the sale. I thought extending the window and having some other criteria would give those folks a chance, but you know, in the end, the same "usual suspects" prevailed. I guess that goes to show if a motivated person really wants they will figure out the rules to win.

I'm going to inform participants via PM and then I will post results a bit later.

All requesters/bidders now informed, results as follows:

SL100 #1 -- GRIFFIN
SL100 #2 -- GRIFFIN
DT3U -- GRIFFIN
HCX -- a9a1c1
HCX USB -- a9a1c1
RRC2mini #1 -- Getmore
AEB1 -- Getmore

Thanks to all that participated.

Back