Finally did something of substance with my new router table

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Doing a little bit here and there on my Hangar 11 6" dia. X-15. Already have the main airframe laminated and started working on the critical tailcone/MMT attachment, but today had a bit of time to work on the fins. The fins are 1/4" ply and started out a bit over 3 lbs (for the six). After I was finished with foam core they are 1.5 lbs (almost too much glare on the scale read out, but trust me 1.5 lbs.)

007 (1280x960).jpg

What type of foam did you use to foam core? I have heard of doing this, but have never done it myself.

You can hollow out the fin tab area for even more weight loss and not have to fill in the holes either :)

You can hollow out the fin tab area for even more weight loss and not have to fill in the holes either :)

Yes, will likely do that also, but I wanted to wait until after I did a dry fit with tailcone in place. I'm probably being a bit paranoid, but with all the angles/cants on the X-15 wings I just wanted to make sure just how much area was exposed.

Went ahead and took some cuts out of the fin tab area. Not so sure the extra work was worth it as I only saved another 2.5 to 3 oz.

003 (1280x960).jpg

Well, it's the cumulative effect of all weight savings work. Little bit here, little bit there. I saw an Indy car from I think the 1900's. It was overweight. They Swiss cheezed literally everything that coud be drilled to make weight. Like on your fin tab. They would have drilled 10 smaller holes for even more loss(2 holes on either end and 2 inbetween each of the larger holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WKs2G9nQUQ About a minute in.

Well, all CF on and first cut sanding of edges complete. Next step will be beveling where I will try SMR's technique to get the angles dialed in.

001 (1280x960).jpg

Last edited:
Back