Alex's "Super Jart" Build - Tip-to-Tip reinforcement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
I don't need a big kit to have lots of Black Saturday fun.
20121214_155051.jpg

I'll leave the rest of the original project description up to the imagination.
:wink:

Alex

I's on the wildman thread. But yes, go ahead.

Alex

I am so happy right now.

You neat me to it...darn you alex! This will be cool!!

Okay here is some details:
This rocket is designed to be my most versatile ever.
The idea is, it will be built with several removable motor mounts. It will have a 29mm removable and a 38mm removable. With a 24-29 adaptor, it can also fly on 24mm motors. I can leave both out if I want to fly minimum diameter on up to a 3G case.
The fins will be given either 2 layers of T2T fiberglass or 1 Layer of T2T carbon. I would prefer carbon although I am down to my last 1/3 YD and I might not have the $ to buy another yard.
I am saving up money for one of Eric's 2.1in VK nosecones. Those things look sweet!
View attachment 107487

Alex

Alex, Remember the size of the piece of fiberglass cloth (about 4x6 feet) coming to you that I just shipped yesterday. Would that be enough?

Last edited:
For those of you who have 12 minutes to spare:
Heck, I decided just to make a build video.
I think I broke my record for how many times I've said "uuhhh..." in 10 minutes.
Sorry for my weird voice. I have a cold :(.

[YOUTUBE]aENjd9NeNGU[/YOUTUBE]

Let me know if you have any suggestions or if you want to see more videos.

Alex

Last edited:
Like the video might steal the idea for my build threads :wink:

Do it! I hardly see any "video builds" on TRF anymore. (or ever)

I glad to see that my crazy idea is catching on.
Manny, can I ask you what you used for fin attachment? I'm thinking I want to use the stuff I attached the fins with to make fillets.

Alex

Manny, can I ask you what you used for fin attachment? I'm thinking I want to use the stuff I attached the fins with to make fillets.

Alex

I used Proline 4500 (the black stuff), the I did my carbon overlay (one layer).

I will be doing some video builds later on.

Can't wait to see them.
Doing video builds is more work then you might imagine. I probably spend 4x the time doing this then just I would have just taking pictures. There is camera setup, filming, editing and exporting it's much more difficult then just snapping a few photos. Somehow I always stumble around with my words on camera.

The J760 looks like a sweet motor for this rocket. Gets about Mach 1.9 and about 10K.

Alex

All you have to do is record first, and then dub over it later. Much easier, and the voiceover will be much clearer.

Can't wait to see them.
Doing video builds is more work then you might imagine. I probably spend 4x the time doing this then just I would have just taking pictures. There is camera setup, filming, editing and exporting it's much more difficult then just snapping a few photos. Somehow I always stumble around with my words on camera.

The J760 looks like a sweet motor for this rocket. Gets about Mach 1.9 and about 10K.

Alex

Dont worry I too stutter sometimes. I am camera shy lol. As for the editing and all that stuff, in the end I say to myself its all worth it. As for the J760 It is a good one. Good luck on that flight. Mach 2 is insane.

Good luck with the build Alex! Don't give Manny too many ideas though........:lol:

Seriously....when Manny first told me about his "smaller" Jart...set up minimum dia., i thought awesome!
Here's a small rocket that looks like an Estes Alpha with a J motor in it.......:rolleyes: Oh....that won't wake the dead every time you "wind it up.":jaw:

I feel your pain. I don't like talking to a camera, either.

Should be a fun build and rocket; you've been reading the Book Of Manny, from the looks of it! :)

-Kevin

If you want to see how to really max out a Jart, check out Mike's here starting at post # 126. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...into-quot-redux-quot-build-starts-now!!/page5

He made it minimum also and packed it as best I've ever seen. Much like one of Adrian's . Ya might get a couple of ideas. He dual deployed it out of the NC. Even got a tracker in there. It will hold a 2-grain 54 stock size.

Good luck with your project!

Last edited:
Nice job there! Like the video. I feel inspired now to do a video but that would necessitate a new project.... Don't worry about stumbling over the words on camera, you will get used to it eventually. I've been on radio live and recorded, filmed for part of Biggest Looser (It was Rulon Gardeners team mate but they never made it far enough to have a grocery store scene)... OK enough lamebrag, anyway, I thought you did a good job. Can't wait to see it fly!
-Ken

I did a first set of carbon fiber fillets today. I made a video but the camera decited to shut off half way. I might try to put togeather a small one from what I'm able to get but if I dont, whatever. I still have 2 sets to go.

Nice job there! Like the video. I feel inspired now to do a video but that would necessitate a new project....
I would love to see it. There is nothing wrong with starting a new project :wink:

I'll fly this at sport launches on 38mm motors. At Hellfire, I'll put her up on a J or similar. Really want to fly this on the J760!

Alex

CrazyJim said:
If you want to see how to really max out a Jart, check out Mike's here starting at post # 126. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...ts-now!!/page5

He made it minimum also and packed it as best I've ever seen. Much like one of Adrian's . Ya might get a couple of ideas. He dual deployed it out of the NC. Even got a tracker in there. It will hold a 2-grain 54 stock size.

Good luck with your project!

I saw that earlier. That is one of the coolest compact AV bays I've seen. There is no way I can build something that compact and precise! I was just planning on building a tiny AV bay into the Nose Cone.
If I plan on doing Dual Deployment, I will use a cable cutter.

Alec

Well, my Fillets decided not to cure 100%. I'll be pulling them off and making new ones. :(

Alex

That's unfortunate. Any reason why? Incomplete mixing?

Also, I notice that you touched the contact surface of the fin before putting it in the slot; that can contaminate the bond somewhat. I avoided it as much as I possibly could on Disappearing Act's fincan: everything got sanded rinsed, and dried without my skin oils touching them, immediately before bonding.

Last edited:
Back