Apollo 11 landing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool. You think they rehearsed that sequence a few time. Unbelievable how calm every voice is.

makes you appreciate how everyone could focus on their tasks with so many things going on at once...but you are right, everyone is so calm you would never know they were landing on the moon by their voices, with the exception of one controller who when asked by Gene Krantz if he was go/no go yells GO!! so loudly you can hear Krantz start to chuckle...so there was adrenaline there no doubt!...I never heard the Apollo 11 landing before including all of the flight controllers...I had only heard Charlie Duke and his calls to the crew and their responses....there were so many conversations going on at once.

Very cool. You think they rehearsed that sequence a few time. Unbelievable how calm every voice is.

Let me add my thanks, too. Truly incredible presentation of the landing.

you can see the training that these men had during this landing....knowledge of every system down to almost every detail....I think I read that behind every man in mission control was a "backroom" of guys that supported each controller....was like having multiple
lifelines" to go to ... I just don't know how they were able to hear so many voices on the loop and not get confused....I guess it was the training kicking in....I have gone back to listen to it several times..at one point you can hear Charlie Duke say " I think we should be quiet now..." neat stuff!!

What a great find!

This is one of the best presentations of the landing event that I have ever seen. Very well done!

Greg

That was cool. It took me back to July 1969 when the whole family sat in front of a black and white TV with a fuzzy picture of the landing.

Way cool!! Great find Rick!

This was the first time I'd been able to get a feel for the time that all these sequences that I've read about so many times took place in. For instance, when they first had a 1202 alarm I'd read that they had to go to their "back room team" where someone came up with what it meant and told them to go ahead... but I had it in my mind that this took a couple of minutes when in fact it took about 10 seconds. Very impressive stuff indeed!!

agree 100% Mushtang....I was thinking the exact same thing on that alarm...it was a matter of seconds before the crew was given the go..this put everything into perspective...and the low fuel warnings....the flight controllers were waiting for it you can see in their conversations on the loop...and as said earlier...not a trace of panic in anyone's voice...what a team that was assembled for these missions!! I thought I read or heard somewhere that the average age of these guys was like 26 or something...I am not sure exactly, but they were young guys!

Way cool!! Great find Rick!

This was the first time I'd been able to get a feel for the time that all these sequences that I've read about so many times took place in. For instance, when they first had a 1202 alarm I'd read that they had to go to their "back room team" where someone came up with what it meant and told them to go ahead... but I had it in my mind that this took a couple of minutes when in fact it took about 10 seconds. Very impressive stuff indeed!!

Very Cool Indeed, Thank You Very Much for Sharing.

So come on, am I the only one that looks back at that historic day and secretly wishes that the apollo 11 crew had a twisted sense of humor, and basically Punk'd the world. During the 2 1/2 hours that Armstrong and Aldrin spent on the lunar surface they had plenty of time to have pulled off some first class pranks. Just think of the chill it would have put down your spine if all of a sudden Buzz Aldrin would have said, "Oh My God Houston, there's a set of footprints up here." Then Aldrin says, "Neil, grab the camera and let's get these on film." <silence> "Neil?" <silence> "Neil? NEIL? Oh my god Houston, Neil Armstrong has disappeared." Aldrin continues, Oh no, their coming back, their coming for me, they look hideous." and at this point Buzz runs out of camera view screaming. Then with an almost shocking suddeness, silence. and that is what we see for the next 5 minutes, nothing but silence. Finally Neil Armstrong steps into the cameras view doing a perfect vocal impersonation of Rod Sterling, "Submitted for your entertainment ...... Two American Astronaughts, they step foot on the moon and end up in the twilight zone.

So is it just me? Am I the only one with a twisted sense of humor that thinks that would have been funny? They could have done anything they wanted up there. Act like they found something, and as they dig it up, reveil it to be a coca-cola bottle.

HA! Bass player I don't think you are too far off the mark...from what I read, Pete Conrad on Apollo 12 had a baseball cap made out of Beta cloth that would have fit over top of his helmet visor assembly, but they couldn't figure out how to smuggle it onto the LM...he wanted to put the cap on and stroll by the TV camera while on the lunar surface......so they went with a timer for the Hasselblad camera that would have allowed both he and Al Bean to take a picture of themselves shaking hands and what not with the sole purpose of getting someone to ask who took the picture??

As for Apollo 11, from what I have read, not sure that Neil or Buzz had that kind of prank in their DNA and even if they did, with the nations prestige on the line with 11, I don't think they would have done it....would probably have cost them their careers. Be a neat question to ask Buzz though if I ever met him!

Very Cool Indeed, Thank You Very Much for Sharing.

So come on, am I the only one that looks back at that historic day and secretly wishes that the apollo 11 crew had a twisted sense of humor, and basically Punk'd the world. During the 2 1/2 hours that Armstrong and Aldrin spent on the lunar surface they had plenty of time to have pulled off some first class pranks. Just think of the chill it would have put down your spine if all of a sudden Buzz Aldrin would have said, "Oh My God Houston, there's a set of footprints up here." Then Aldrin says, "Neil, grab the camera and let's get these on film." <silence> "Neil?" <silence> "Neil? NEIL? Oh my god Houston, Neil Armstrong has disappeared." Aldrin continues, Oh no, their coming back, their coming for me, they look hideous." and at this point Buzz runs out of camera view screaming. Then with an almost shocking suddeness, silence. and that is what we see for the next 5 minutes, nothing but silence. Finally Neil Armstrong steps into the cameras view doing a perfect vocal impersonation of Rod Sterling, "Submitted for your entertainment ...... Two American Astronaughts, they step foot on the moon and end up in the twilight zone.

So is it just me? Am I the only one with a twisted sense of humor that thinks that would have been funny? They could have done anything they wanted up there. Act like they found something, and as they dig it up, reveil it to be a coca-cola bottle.

Back