Green Bay - Seattle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone explain what happened? In as few words as possbile?

Last play of the game, Wilson throws a hail mary into the endzone. Tate flagrantly shoves Shields down, to get room to play the ball. Jennings goes up and gets the ball, Tate grabs onto it as Jennings comes down.

One ref rules touchdown (without conversing with another), the one standing right next to him rules touchback.

Head ref then declares it a touchdown, based on the first guy, rather than discussing it.

NFL admits the refs botched the call, and Green Bay should've won.

-Kevin

NFL admits the refs botched the call, and Green Bay should've won...........but is afraid to reverse game results

As a Seahawks fan, I say tough crap.

There were plenty of bad calls throughout the entire game. Chancellor getting called for PI on a clean deflection that kept GB's touch down drive alive on 3rd and 8. Green Bay never would have scored their touchdown had the officials not botched that call.

Now all the Seahawks nation knows what it feels like to be on the winning side of a blown call....still doesn't make up for Super Bowl 40, but it feels good to win one of these finally.

The biggest loser of all this is the Seahawks defense. They turned in one of the all time greatest defensive maulings and instead of talking about holding the reigning league MVP to one touchdown and sacking him 8 times in one half we are talking about the refs blowing a call.

Regardless the results in February, this entire season will forever have that proverbial asterisk - I say call the season now.

Regardless the results in February, this entire season will forever have that proverbial asterisk - I say call the season now.

Then 2005 should have the same asterisk.

Complain all you like, the NFL won't do anything about it. The general consensus is this is the call that will force the NFL to bring back the officials. Wrong. The NFL doesn't care. People are still buying tickets, television numbers are still up, jerseys are getting sold...they don't care what monkeys wear the striped shirts and until it starts hurting the NFL financially, they will continue to not care.

I understand that the ref that called it a touchdown is a banker...gees, that explains it! Nothing more needs to be said.

The longest,wrongest 4th quarter I've ever seen...except for the Chargers,who miraculously manage every season to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory....at the last minute!

The officiating in the NFL has been wrong long before the strike.

When a player can go up to a ref and convince him that a flag should be thrown, there is a problem.

I heard a report today that the Lingerie League had fired a couple crews last year due to their incompetence - those crews are currently working in the NFL.

I heard a report today that the Lingerie League had fired a couple crews last year due to their incompetence - those crews are currently working in the NFL.

Speaking of the Lingerie League....is it sad that they hit harder in that league than an NFL player can get away with without drawing a fine by the league?

Easest way to fix this ref problem? Everyone who bought NFL packages from TV providers to sue for fraud. Packages were bought for professional play and rules, unqualified refs are fraud.

A bunch of voices rasing up from consumers to the TV package providers will surely put the fire under the NFL if the providers in turn sue the league for fraud.

Just my two cents-don't even watch TV.

Mike

I love football but this crap is out of hand. It was like the "Keystone Refs" out there. I understand bad calls get made, but when even my wife can see how terrible of a call it was and it stands, there is no excuse.

Could this be an elaborate plan sent down from a penthouse in Vegas? Somewhere in the realm of 150 to 250 million dollars changing hands was the estimate for this game alone, could it be the biggest gambling scam ever? Lots of upsets under strange surcumstances happening all of a sudden - and a perfect excuse for them. I've always been a bit scepticle of the legitamacy of pro sports, this makes me that much more.

So how about those Seahawks huh?

I didn't see the game.

Can someone explain what happened? In as few words as possbile?
Six minutes to decide who caught the Hail Mary pass in the final seconds.

For real.

I had no dog in the fight but Green Bay got the shaft.

Six minutes to decide who caught the Hail Mary pass in the final seconds.

For real.

I had no dog in the fight but Green Bay got the shaft.
You freaked me out there OD, for a second I thought Mike Vick had joined the forum!

The officiating in the NFL has been wrong long before the strike.

When a player can go up to a ref and convince him that a flag should be thrown, there is a problem.

Oh, agreed! When the regular refs are back, I'd love to see the same level of criticism aimed at them. But, it won't happen. Certain players get calls very favorably in their way. And some of the regular refs are just bad -- the only difference between them and the replacements is that they make bad calls, faster.

-Kevin

I am curious to know if the same level of outrage would occur if we had "stand in" teachers which were terrible due to a lockout of the existing ones.

Yeah I don't think so either. What a country we live in when the biggest issue we have is bad officiating in a NFL game!

The longest,wrongest 4th quarter I've ever seen...except for the Chargers,who miraculously manage every season to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory....at the last minute!

I agree with the "longest" part...I decided to watch a show I had recorded, and started it as the first play of the 4th quarter was snapped. I fast forwarded the commercials, so the hour long show was closer to 45-50 minutes, and still saw the last few plays of the game...really???

That call was the epitome of the whole game: Terrible officiating. 24 penalties, 24! The average is 13. What about the PI against GB when the Seattle reciever was all over the guy. What about Wilson's Int in the 4th called back for Roughing the Passer, after he scrambled out of the pocket and was merely tackled? Those are just 2.

Roger Goodell is always the first to slap the hand of players who get out of line by fining or suspending them, he's been awfully quiet........

End the strike, give the real refs what they want, vacate all the games played without real referees, and start the season over again. If you can only get 13 games in, so be it. Monday was the first game I've seen, and it wasn't even close to acceptable. Until the NFL gets the refs back and resets everything to zero, this will have been the last game I watch as well. I quit paying attention to the NBA in part for this same reason, and as far as I'm concerned, that league no longer exists. I'll drop the NFL just as surely.

I must be the only person in the world who thinks that it's just a football game...who really gives a rats a$$ how these overpaid prima donnas fare?

I must be the only person in the world who thinks that it's just a football game...who really gives a rats a$$ how these overpaid prima donnas fare?

Considering an estimated 150 to 250 million dollars changed hands as a result of this "game" alone, many.

I have to agree with you. I used to be a pretty rabid fan but the more these aholes get paid the less intertested I am. Refs get 9 grand per game and they want more? Seriously, what's wrong with this picture?

I have to agree with you. I used to be a pretty rabid fan but the more these aholes get paid the less intertested I am. Refs get 9 grand per game and they want more? Seriously, what's wrong with this picture?

That's not really the sticking point -- the sticking point is that the refs want to continue to have a guaranteed pension, not a 401K like the rest of the NFL employees, and most of the rest of the world.

-Kevin

Al, don't every move to Nebraska, where people mope about for days after Nebraska loses a "big" game. Sad and pathetic, really.

I watch some football, but my next day isn't dictated by how a team did or didn't play, the previous day.

-Kevin

Back