Sandpaper - the Professional (Purple) stuff

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Seems like the transition started over a year ago with the 3M Pro sandpaper showing up on shelves. Given that it was ~30% more than regular sandpaper I didn't buy any (figuring it was a gimmick). But about the first of the year my local Home Depot basically did a full scale transition leaving only a few assorted packs of "regular" old sandpaper on the shelf. So I began buying some of this and have been using it for about 2 months now in earnest. I have to tell you, I'm impressed. It is more durable, which you would expect as it is billed as "Professional" but really the better thing is how when you sand it doesn't get clogged up. Better yet, if you do have a lot of "sanded" material in the grit all you have to do is use your finger and "flip it" a couple times on the back of the sheet and the material falls right out giving you a nearly new sheet again. I'm not a materials engineer and thus don't really know what they've done here? Maybe it is the grit material itself? Maybe the shape of the grit? Maybe a coating? I don't know the answers to the above so I thought I'd post it, but I can say "I'm sold."

IMG_0570.jpg

OK, a bit more on this... The old "Pro pak" (the tan stuff) simply says "Garnet Sandpaper." This new stuff (purple stuff) says things like "proprietary abrasive construction stays sharp and leaves a smooth consistent finish" and "has an anti-load coating for long life." Again, don't know what exactly, but it works.

I've been using this stuff (pre-cut) on my mouse sander, it really works nice and lasts a long time - it's well worth the little extra it costs.

Seems like the transition started over a year ago with the 3M Pro sandpaper showing up on shelves. Given that it was ~30% more than regular sandpaper I didn't buy any (figuring it was a gimmick). But about the first of the year my local Home Depot basically did a full scale transition leaving only a few assorted packs of "regular" old sandpaper on the shelf. So I began buying some of this and have been using it for about 2 months now in earnest. I have to tell you, I'm impressed. It is more durable, which you would expect as it is billed as "Professional" but really the better thing is how when you sand it doesn't get clogged up. Better yet, if you do have a lot of "sanded" material in the grit all you have to do is use your finger and "flip it" a couple times on the back of the sheet and the material falls right out giving you a nearly new sheet again. I'm not a materials engineer and thus don't really know what they've done here? Maybe it is the grit material itself? Maybe the shape of the grit? Maybe a coating? I don't know the answers to the above so I thought I'd post it, but I can say "I'm sold."

Like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" I always try using 3M. I know Home Depot use to stock sand paper by a company called Norton's as I recall and only carried a limited selection of 3M sanding blocks/sponges. I need sand paper like yesterday so knowing that they are carrying 3M products I will check there first. I know you can also order it on Hobbylinc in sheets of 25 (Wet/Dry) for under $22. Not sure if I really need that many, but I may have to buy it that way. I wish they would have a variety pack of paper from 220-600. How much was the paper you bought and how many sheets did you get in the package?

The picture shows a bulk package of 20 sheets which is pretty much the best way for woodworkers to buy the stuff.

I haven't seen this product on the shelves yet but have purchased a few sheets of Klingspor that have impressed me for the same reasons.

First, just to clarify, I was comparing old 3M Pro versus new 3M Pro. I have used Norton's before, but my Home Depot doesn't carry it.

In addition, I agree and don't mind paying for value. I really didn't believe the claims though and thought it was a gimmick. Nice to find something these days that actually delivers though. But thinking back, typically over the years 3M has consistently delivered across their product lines.

Finally, I believe I paid $14.97 for 20 sheets of the Purple. Anything below 220 is still the wet/dry black sanding paper though, so your desire to get a very fine multi-pack of this stuff might be a long(er) time coming.

Like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" I always try using 3M. I know Home Depot use to stock sand paper by a company called Norton's as I recall and only carried a limited selection of 3M sanding blocks/sponges. I need sand paper like yesterday so knowing that they are carrying 3M products I will check there first. I know you can also order it on Hobbylinc in sheets of 25 (Wet/Dry) for under $22. Not sure if I really need that many, but I may have to buy it that way. I wish they would have a variety pack of paper from 220-600. How much was the paper you bought and how many sheets did you get in the package?

Last edited:
3M is good stuff.

Another really good brand of sandpaper is Klingspor, which is all I use. You can but it direct.

I buy it in rolls, and cut it to length as needed.

-Kevin

Lowe's carries the 3M Pro stuff (including the 180 grit) - I know this because I picked up some two days ago.

Along with some rattle-can clear coat that I had to show ID for....?

All the best, James

Along with some rattle-can clear coat that I had to show ID for....?

All the best, James

I think most places have laws - either for anti-graffiti or anti-huffing or both - but if it is for graffiti I know I always clear coat mine :wink: and prime the wall first too!:eyeroll:

My favorite was Walmart - getting carded for buying paper targets (gun related). It is only paper! :bangpan:

Second was also Walmart / guns. I was buying .22 ammo. They asked if it was for a rifle or handgun. Had to be 18 for rifle ammo, 21 for hand gun ammo. It is the same product, so the requirement was based on my answer. :confused:

you wont find better paper than klingspor. I spend about a grand a year on paper and klingspor gets all of it.

Latest posts

Back