TLP Nike Hercules

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another of my wants, but I like the look of the Nike Ajax better. The Nike Herc is just beastly, but cool nonetheless. The Nike Zeus just intimidates me.

Last edited:
Its single stage 29mm but it looks like it could be converted to two stage with out a lot of extra parts and a little bit of skill. Of course you would have to recalculate the CP & CG with the amount weight this rocket has added to the to the nose, i'm sure it would be a fun challenge.

I got mine off Ebay but Erockets has them in stock I think.

TA

Its single stage 29mm but it looks like it could be converted to two stage with out a lot of extra parts and a little bit of skill. Of course you would have to recalculate the CP & CG with the amount weight this rocket has added to the to the nose, i'm sure it would be a fun challenge.

I got mine off Ebay but Erockets has them in stock I think.

TA

www.erockets.biz is showing the TLP Nike Hercules as in stock, thanks.

Wow ! NICE. Did a scratcher about 30+ years ago. Flew with 4 c's--much fun. Been thinking about doing it again for a couple years now but with d's,would most likely be about the size of that one. Please post pics of your build --very interested--and yes the HERC is a beast

I hope you plan on doing a detailed build for us........PLEASE !!!

Looks like it`s going to be an enjoyable build ,right up my alley

Paul t

Well here is the Motor mount. I changed it up a bit, the instructions call for a friction fit motor. I fly with reloads most of the time and I didn't want to trust a friction fit with a 60 dollar reloadable motor plus the tube supplied was very lose fitting so I pulled out a piece of LOC 29mm motor tube I have laying around and used it.

I also have the two body tubes joined together. This would be the point to decide if you wanted to make it two stage or add a baffle. Being a BT-60 size ill just opt for wadding. I'm really thinking it would take very little effort to make this two stage, construction wise that is.

TA

View attachment niketube.jpg

View attachment nikeMM.jpg

It looks like you had a bit of fin deflection in that video, what are the fins made of?

TA

It looks like you had a bit of fin deflection in that video, what are the fins made of?

TA

The booster fins are made of a basswood frame with a poster board skin wrapped around. The upper stage fins are 3/32" balsa covered with very light fiberglass.

Glued up the the Parachute compartment, this is one of the places you add some weight with two of the five washers. Id recommend installing this before you glue the two tubes together it could prove to be a pain and it will make getting glue on both sides of the bulkhead difficult to impossible. The plans have you glue it in after the tubes are joined, and if I had read the plans ahead of time before I started, (like its says you should) I would have caught this.:confused:

So i'm going to read them now so I don't miss something :)

View attachment bulk.jpg

View attachment bulkglu.jpg

View attachment bulkinst.jpg

View attachment bulkcom.jpg

Started to cut the four booster tubes out. Got them marked out with the Estes tube marking guide, and gave it a shot cutting it out with some scissors. That was not going well! (maybe my scissors suck or its just the duffus behind them) Any way I opted for the trusty razor knife and strait edge, and I got a much better cut. One down three to go.

It may just be me but i'm not sure what iv done all these years with out that Estes marking guide. I do know my wife will be happy to not have black pencil smudges all over the door jams. :rolleyes:

TA

View attachment nike20.jpg

View attachment nike13.jpg

View attachment nike17.jpg

View attachment nike14.jpg

Do you foresee any problem lining up the four tubes on to the motor tube after their cut?

Last edited:
Do all four phoney motor tubes touch each other, or is there day light in between them?

This kit should have been a cluster like the Launch Pad Plan Pak was... Still a good look'n rocket kit though.

Or like Sandman`s great kit ,which is on the building block after I get a few things buttoned up.

I`m still getting one of these kits as soon as I hear from David of Sirius Rocketry.;)

Nice build ,I`m enjoying it very much !

Paul t

Sheesh ,$299.00 plus $28.00 for shipping....ahhh yah ,don`t think so !

It`s like the person is thinking the kit is already OOP ,or hoping someone needs one now and can`t wait.

I can wait.

Paul T

I'll sell you two of mine for that price and only $20 shipping!

It doesn't look like the tubes will touch. There will be a gap roughly the width of the glue rail. its not much. One thing I would change is, I would have not glued the main air frame tubes together till I'd had mounted the motor mount and the parachute compartment or glued the rails on. Its a pain waving that four foot tube around getting it to the position you want. And its hard to get glue around all the rings.

TA

Do all four phoney motor tubes touch each other, or is there day light in between them?

It doesn't look like the tubes will touch. There will be a gap roughly the width of the glue rail. its not much. One thing I would change is, I would have not glued the main air frame tubes together till I'd had mounted the motor mount and the parachute compartment or glued the rails on. Its a pain waving that four foot tube around getting it to the position you want. And its hard to get glue around all the rings.

TA

I'm asking because the picture below shows daylight between the motor tubes.

This brings up a painting problem for the kit.

How is the kit gonna get a good looking paint job between the phoney motor tubes and the kits real motor tube?

H_crt_1.jpg

Wow! I don't think I have ever seen that picture, thank you for sharing that with us it is most awesome. It might be tricky to get paint in there but I think with a lot of light coats and lots of in between drying time it will work.

TA

Last edited:
Got the Motor mount in and all of the booster tubes on. It wasn't all that hard and went with out a hitch. Ill be adding the bottom booster bulk heads tomorrow
they are a bit over sized and will take some work to fit properly.

Hopefully these pictures will give you an idea what the gap between the boosters is like, it's a 1/8 inch at the most.

TA

View attachment nikemm.jpg

View attachment nikebooster.jpg

View attachment nikebosttop.jpg

View attachment nike bosttube.jpg

View attachment nikerings.jpg

Back