Typos in instructions for the 1/14 Boyce Aerospace Nike Hercules

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The BA Nike Hercules builders kit (single stage version) came in the other day so I was cutting tubes and dry fitting yesterday and came across a couple of errors.
1. Instructions say to cut the BT-50 motor tubes to 65mm, or about 2.5".
Recommended motors are the D12 and E12, so doing so would not accomodate the longer E engine.
2. Last page of the instructions mentions mounting 4 D12-3 motors, but the recommended motor is a D12-5.
So I emailed an inquiry to Boyce Aerospace.
The response was that the motor tubes should be cut for the longer E engine, at 3.3".
?????
That would leave .45" sticking out the end, and the retaining screw is not long enough to securely bite into the spacer at that length.
So I'm cutting mine to 3.5".
As for the delay, the response was the optimum delay per simulation was 4 seconds, so a D12-3 is the recommended motor so that the sustainer will ignite in the vertical position.
?????
But I have the single stage version.
So I'm going to try 4 X D12-3s and adjust if it pops early in the ascent.
Hope this helps any future builders of this kit.

The BA Nike Hercules builders kit (single stage version) came in the other day so I was cutting tubes and dry fitting yesterday and came across a couple of errors.
1. Instructions say to cut the BT-50 motor tubes to 65mm, or about 2.5".
Recommended motors are the D12 and E12, so doing so would not accomodate the longer E engine.
2. Last page of the instructions mentions mounting 4 D12-3 motors, but the recommended motor is a D12-5.
So I emailed an inquiry to Boyce Aerospace.
The response was that the motor tubes should be cut for the longer E engine, at 3.3".
?????
That would leave .45" sticking out the end, and the retaining screw is not long enough to securely bite into the spacer at that length.
So I'm cutting mine to 3.5".
As for the delay, the response was the optimum delay per simulation was 4 seconds, so a D12-3 is the recommended motor so that the sustainer will ignite in the vertical position.
?????
But I have the single stage version.
So I'm going to try 4 X D12-3s and adjust if it pops early in the ascent.
Hope this helps any future builders of this kit.
I am starting the build of the BA Nike Hercules two stage with electronics for sustainer ignition. I purchased the micro timer and the battery that is recommended in the instruction along with pictures of the exact battery.
Problem is the tube in the booster transition meant to hold the battery is too small for the battery to fit.
I emailed Boyce for advice.

I am starting the build of the BA Nike Hercules two stage with electronics for sustainer ignition. I purchased the micro timer and the battery that is recommended in the instruction along with pictures of the exact battery.
Problem is the tube in the booster transition meant to hold the battery is too small for the battery to fit.
I emailed Boyce for advice.
Any response by Boyce yet ?

Back