Routers - how about this dremel attachement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtH

Reaction score
I am getting geared up for HPR scratchbuilding. I just got a 9" bandsaw, and now I am looking into ways to do tube slotting. I have seen posts indicating people use a router. I do not have much other use for a router but I do have a nice Dremel and I see this on the dremel web site.
https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachments/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=231

Can I use this for slotting something like a blue tube or a heavy paper tube? If so what would the procedure be? drill a hole and then poke the router bit through and push the tube to route out the slot?

If this is not the answer, any other suggestions?

I have little experience with power tools, but I am trying to change that. :D

Based on my experience with Blue Tube, I'm not sure I'd try cutting it with a router. Instead, I'd be more inclined to use a cut-off wheel.

That said, your Dremel with one of the reinforced cut-off wheels (or a diamond wheel) works very well for slotting tube. I've slotted cardboard, fiberglassed cardboard, phenolic, and fiberglass tubing that way.

-Kevin

Depending upon the diameter of your tube, you may not be able to use the fence on much above 2.5" to 3" diameter tubing by the looks of it.
You might be better off with this
https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachments/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=335-01
I have the older version that doesn't plunge, and mostly use it for fin sign making of letters or fine line ingraving.
If you have a drill press, you can fit an arbor and a 4" or 4 1/2" x 1/8" abrisive wheel in the chuck, clamp a straight edge to the table and simply slide the tube on the table of the drill press and let the abrasive wheel cut in.
I haven't done this on rocket tubing, but I have done similar things on my drill press for odd things in my wood working.

That table is real small. I had one for a while, but rarely used it. Rocket-wise, I'd have to say it would be OK for LPR and smaller MPR stuff.

The problem with the Dremels ,is they lack the torque although they have the RPM ,so it might stall in harder materials such as BlueTube and maybe the heavier LOC type paper tubes.Also the types of bits you`ll want are solid carbide spiral cutters in 1/4" ,unless you go with thinner fin material ,as i think the biggest size bits the dremel takes is 1/8" ,at least mine does.

In any case ,a cut off wheel may be your best bet in hard materials (phenolic & BlueTube) but LOC tube can be easily cut with an Exacto knife.

I myself use my router table and a "sled" to cut slots in all materials ,works great in BlueTube as well as all others.You might be able to rig your Dremel router table up in a similar fashion,but again power may be a problem.

Here`s a few pics to give you an idea of my router & sled.A quick swipe with 180 sandpaper on the inside and done.

Cheers

Paul T

phpnjRHlbPM.jpg

phpNIae17PM.jpg

phpEgXxWXPM.jpg

phpLI6RlAPM.jpg

phpHJNpDxPM.jpg

I find even the cut-off wheels can bog down quick on phenolic & fiberglass.

Might want to consider getting a "trim router" like a Bosch Colt, and mounting it to a sheet of plywood. Still fairly compact machine, but a lot more power than a Dremel. Will take larger router bits too...

Back