Just got the idea to buy a rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnauzer

Reaction score
hello, i was watching the giants vs the phillies and saw a commercial that depicted a model rocket being launched. i have always enjoyed pyrotechnics as far as lighting off some fireworks goes. it got me to thinking that maybe i should purchase a rocket and have some fun in the front yard.

now i have not done much research by any means. all ive done is search yahoo for "model rocket" i found estes and checked wiki learning estes to be one of the first companies.... so anyway i really dont know anything about this, i searched for a model rocket forum and chose this one, the forums seem quite active....

i am 23 years old i am begining to get an interest in possibly buying a rocket.... i dont know what to expect as far as prices, but by no means do i mean to go to a store tomorrow and spend 200 dollars on a rocket kit....

can someone with some experience give me a little inside info into the hobby and some suggestions on a first rocket that will intrigue but not cost too much?

as soon as i get into something like this i would start searching for the biggest most powerful high powered rocket i could afford... im not interested in breaking the bank right now, just enjoying myself in the yard with a rocket that will give me some entertainment and leisure lol..... i just need some guidance. any input from someone with experience would be very helpful :fly:

I would suggest starting with an Estes or Estes type low power kit to get some experience. There are many low power vendors to choose from. I would further suggest that it be a moderately large diameter to keep the altitude down and be easy to see in the sky and on the ground. Finding a club to fly with would be a great help as you are starting out too. They will have a wealth of knowledge to share, equipment and probably a larger field to fly in. Look through the low power forum here too.

Welcome and good luck!

Craig

Welcome to The Forum!

So where are you in the world? There just might be a club close to you. It is a small world after all.

Sounds like the place you will want to start is called a "Starter Kit." It will contain an easy to build rocket, a launch pad, an electrical launch controller, and a couple of motors. Two of the most common companies are Estes and Quest. There are others.

If you have a Hobby Lobby or a Michael's where you live, they usually have them in stock and frequently offer 30%-50% off coupons either on line or in the Sunday circulars.

Check in often. Many helpful folks here. We have many vendors and several great rocketry bloggers. I'll let them toot their own horns.

Just don't launch any cats.

Get a 40% off coupon for Michael's on their website and go pick up a "Ready to Fly" kit with launch pad, you'll be flying tomorrow afternoon!

Don't make the mistake I did- each size motor- A, B, C contains roughly twice the energy of its predecessor. My first rocket flew well on an A motor, then flew out of sight on a C and was never seen again :D

Also, make sure to fly in a park or ball field without people around. Stuff happens like taking off sideways or motors exploding (rare, but happens). It's only fun when people and property are safe.

Last edited:
it's also important to know what state you're in. if you're in california, you'll have to jump through some irritating hoops to launch by yourself. check out

Tripoli

and

NAR

both good groups to associate with, and operate mostly the same for most rockets. I'm sure there's one in your area if you live in the US. if you live anywhere else i'm sure someone here lives in the same country.
:cheers:

Good information in this thread. As others have mentioned, the best way to get started in model rocketry is by purchasing a starter set. Some starter sets come with engines and some do not, so be sure to check to save an extra trip to the store or having to place a second order (if you buy online). Starter sets generally run between $20 to $40, so you should be able to get everything that you need for less than $60.

We also have some model rocketry information that you might find helpful at this link - Model Rocketry

Best regards,
Brian

Don't forget to check out the "sticky" threads in this very forum - lots of info and links to more info in those.

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies, i will take the advice as i decide on my purchase, probably going with the starter sets like ive been told about. i am from NH USA. welp i am going to check out some starter sets on the web. ill be around the forums pretty regularly now that im getting interest to attempt this hobby.

im leaning towards the estes and quests that seem to be popular, does anyone here want to give some advice on chosing between the two brands, or even want to reccommend a starter kit, like is there one stater kit that performs better or that will make it more fun for a first time. im open to any suggestions on the model lol. im planning to try to find a store on saturday when im not working to try to buy one.

on a day where you plan to launch a rocket, how many motors do you use? if you had a saturday off and were planning to launch how many acual launches would be an average idea of what people do?

Edit: You are a Phillies fan, right?

lol i lived in northern cali for 2 years and became a giants fan. but really theres not teams that i do or dont like i suppose its more about the game. i always enjoyed watchn the phillies as well.

Last edited:
Schnauzer,

Where in NH are you as there are two National Association of Rocketry(NAR) clubs near you. and both hold launches twice a month.

Just across the border in southern Maine is Maine Missile Math & Science Club.

There is also CMASS in MA.

Welcome to TRF and check into both of these clubs.:handshake:

Scott Costigan
NAR 91379 L-1
[email protected]
www.mmmsclub.org

Schnauzer,

Where in NH are you as there are two National Association of Rocketry(NAR) clubs near you. and both hold launches twice a month.

Know who else is in NH - Jim Flis of Fliskits (OK he's in Cincinnati today but will return to Merrimack next week) He doesn't carry launch systems but can supply you with some great kits.
https://www.fliskits.com/

thanks for all the replies, i will take the advice as i decide on my purchase, probably going with the starter sets like ive been told about. i am from NH USA. welp i am going to check out some starter sets on the web. ill be around the forums pretty regularly now that im getting interest to attempt this hobby.

im leaning towards the estes and quests that seem to be popular, does anyone here want to give some advice on chosing between the two brands, or even want to reccommend a starter kit, like is there one stater kit that performs better or that will make it more fun for a first time. im open to any suggestions on the model lol. im planning to try to find a store on saturday when im not working to try to buy one.

on a day where you plan to launch a rocket, how many motors do you use? if you had a saturday off and were planning to launch how many acual launches would be an average idea of what people do?

Definitely check out a club - flying rockets is a lot more fun when you are with others who share your mania! :p

As for the difference between Estes and Quest - both are equally good. If choosing between a Quest or Estes starter set, I lean a bit toward Quest. I like their launch controller a bit better, and their starters include motors (which Estes eliminated a couple years ago). I'd go for something like this:

https://www.questaerospace.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5736&eq=&Tp=

It has a launch pad, controller, two rockets and three motors. Not to mention the new Quest range boxes are pretty spiffy!

As for the number of rockets to fly in a day... I've done anything from 2 to 3 models flown to about 15 (that's a LOT of models to get off in a day, and that's usually starting early and going until sunset). Figure 5 to 8 in an afternoon.

I also wanted to echo something else that has been mentioned before - don't be tempted to shove the largest motor in your rocket it will take unless you don't mind losing it - you will. Stick to A6-4, A8-3 or the smaller motors (1/4A to A) if you have a rocket that can use them (A6-4 and A8-3 are about 3/4" diameter, while the smaller motors are about 1/2" diameter - this are called "T" motors like A10-3T.).

I'd say go with an Estes starter set for a couple reasons. They are more readily available locally. The launch pad is much nicer than Quest. I like their RTF (ready to fly) rockets better than quest, too. Go for the largest diameter rtf you can get in a starter set. That way you dont have to worry about cramming the parachute in.

I do like the quest controller better. If you do order a quest starter set, spend the extra $4 on the 12v conversion plug. Very nice add on that Estes does not have.

Lastly, if you have blown in insulation in the attack, fill up a ziplock bag of it to use as ejection wadding.

Like others have said, dont be in a hurry to jam the biggest motor possible up the pipe. Some of these rtf rockets really get up there.

i am from chester NH it is somewhat close to MA.

alright i am getting alot of info here. this is very helpful so far. im going to proof read these posts a bit and think about what to do come saturday, i just hope i can find a store that sells these kits.

not to sound like some jealous fool lol... as much as i am hearing about these clubs and things. it kind of takes me back to other hobbies that ive done.... things like r/c that ive been into before.... if you go to a track and what not your bound to find someone with something bigger that makes my stuff seem not as fun, which almost gives me the same thought like... it woud be one thing to buy a rocket saturday and launch it off in my front yard. itd be another thing to buy a starter kit then show up to a club and see 15 people with rockets way bigger and more advanced then mine making me more self concious about my purchase lol. not that id acually be offended its the difference between just getting into a hobby or spending years in a hobby i suppose. i just get that feeling, i could purchase something and have a blast in my yard, if i make a purchase and go to a club and see everyone elses stuff, im just going to want to spend a bunch of money to try to do what their doing lol.

not trying to be shallow.... i could try to describe an idea like that some more but hopefully someone knows what i mean lol.

if anyone here is into rc... ie... imaging buying your first stock rc car for about 200... then you take it to a track to drive it or race and other people have the same truck except upgraded and customized with new engines and what not, or lets say $800 dollars in aftermarket parts lol.... and then the way you feel about your truck after seeing that....

its not jealousy that im trying to get accross, ive been in positions like that im not just angrily jealous or anything, but buying a rocket right now was more just an idea of having fun. it still seems like if i hit up a club im going to feel let down about what i just bought, after seeing the rockets others would probably have lol.

Last edited:
One of the nice things I've found about low power rocketry (regular Estes type kits with black powder motors) is that they're relatively inexpensive compared to things like RC. So if your model suffers a catastrophic failure or goes into orbit you can have a good laugh about it since it only cost you $20.

Also, trying to find rockets that drifted too far is like a treasure hunt. It's cheap excitement compared to some other hobbies ;)

Welcome to the hobby!

Beginners are more than welcome at CMASS launches, the people there are very welcoming and encouraging.

Unless you have a huge front yard, it's probably not a good idea to fly from there. Find a football field or something similar....these rockets really can get up there! Launching from most front yards will result in your rocket landing in someone else's lawn, even with a small motor.

I've been flying rockets on and off since I got my first starter kit for Christmas, 1972...and I still love building and flying them and watching others too. It's very addictive.

alright i am getting alot of info here. this is very helpful so far. im going to proof read these posts a bit and think about what to do come saturday, i just hope i can find a store that sells these kits.

not to sound like some jealous fool lol... as much as i am hearing about these clubs and things. it kind of takes me back to other hobbies that ive done.... things like r/c that ive been into before.... if you go to a track and what not your bound to find someone with something bigger that makes my stuff seem not as fun, which almost gives me the same thought like... it woud be one thing to buy a rocket saturday and launch it off in my front yard. itd be another thing to buy a starter kit then show up to a club and see 15 people with rockets way bigger and more advanced then mine making me more self concious about my purchase lol. not that id acually be offended its the difference between just getting into a hobby or spending years in a hobby i suppose. i just get that feeling, i could purchase something and have a blast in my yard, if i make a purchase and go to a club and see everyone elses stuff, im just going to want to spend a bunch of money to try to do what their doing lol.

not trying to be shallow.... i could try to describe an idea like that some more but hopefully someone knows what i mean lol.

if anyone here is into rc... ie... imaging buying your first stock rc car for about 200... then you take it to a track to drive it or race and other people have the same truck except upgraded and customized with new engines and what not, or lets say $800 dollars in aftermarket parts lol.... and then the way you feel about your truck after seeing that....

its not jealousy that im trying to get accross, ive been in positions like that im not just angrily jealous or anything, but buying a rocket right now was more just an idea of having fun. it still seems like if i hit up a club im going to feel let down about what i just bought, after seeing the rockets others would probably have lol.

At our CATO launches in CT, we launch low and mid power, but more low power. We also have a lot of scouts showing up with their first rockets. There's just as much interest watching their rockets and seeing their reactions to the performance of their own rockets as there is in seeing our own. I bring a bunch of both, but I launch more low power. It's just different. If you do attend a club launching, you can at least get an idea of how far you want to go in the hobby by rubbing elbows with the more experienced. And you can see a lot more rockets fly on the cheap, since you don't have to pay for most of them. It's really worth it.

In rocketry, size doesn't matter. It really doesn't. At our club launches we have everything from low power (Estes and Quest) to high power (10 foot tall and even larger beasts). All are welcome and all are enjoyed. In rocketry everyone roots for everyone to have a good launch.

Some of the most enjoyable rockets at our club are the speciality low power rockets like the styrofoam cup rockets and the swimming pool noodles. Don't ever think low power means low enjoyment.

Welcome to rocketry and to TRF :) You're going to love both!

As has been mentioned, you're only a stones throw from FlisKits (we're in Merrimack, NH). CMASS would be a good club to look into, even if only to see what the environment is like at our club launches. Our next launch is August 13th in Acton, MA (you can get more information about the club, including schedules at https://www.cmass.org/ )

I make a point of coming to most every launch with a full booth and I defy anyone to attend a CMASS launch and not have fun :)

As for the recommendations given here, all are dead-on so you're in good hands there. After you've gotten the starter set and a couple under your belt, be sure to check us out. I think you will like what you see :)

Bottom line? Enjoy the sport and the forum. We're a pretty good bunch of folks. When we *do* growl, it's friendly like :)

jim

I've never been to a CMASS launch (I live in southern Indiana), but I can't imagine they will me any less supportive and welcoming than my local club. NAR clubs are all about enjoying the sport and hobby of building and flying rockets, not about oneupsmanship. It doesn't matter what you bring to fly, since even veteran fliers will sometimes fly the starter rockets (I know I do, and I've been back in the hobby for at least seven years). Just bring your rockets, ask a lot of questions and have fun!

As far as local sources for rockets, stores that carry rockets include:

Local hobby shops (they'll often carry at least Estes rockets and motors, and maybe other lines as well)

Hobbytown hobby shops (again, at least Estes, probably Quest and maybe some other lines too.

Hobby Lobby (they usually have quite a few Estes kits and motors)

Michaels (somes stores carry rockets but others don't. The ones that do have some kits, a lot of ready to fly and E2X quick build kits, and some of the more popular motors.)

Toys R Us (may have a few Estes starters and motors)

Edit: You are a Phillies fan, right?

lol i lived in northern cali for 2 years and became a giants fan. but really theres not teams that i do or dont like i suppose its more about the game. i always enjoyed watchn the phillies as well.

Hey - you are a mere 6 1/2 hour drive from Citizens Bank Park! Drive down and see the Phillies live! And only 7 1/2 hours from Fort Indiantown Gap where SPAAR holds RAMTEC regional contest and sport launch the weekend before Labor Day, come on down and fly with us!
https://www.spaar.org/ramtec/

i just realized that fliskits was a company that sells rockets.... when i was reading everyones posts about it i was thinking it was a group that gets together. now that is quite interesting being so close to me, alot of different rockets to chose from too.

i am becoming interested in these groups as well, i may attend that cmass stuff since its so close. just to get an idea and see how serious i am about this.

Actually, ALL "Starter Sets" come with motors. Only "Launch Sets" do not include motors.

That is why they use different names for them.

Good information in this thread. As others have mentioned, the best way to get started in model rocketry is by purchasing a starter set. Some starter sets come with engines and some do not, so be sure to check to save an extra trip to the store or having to place a second order (if you buy online). Starter sets generally run between $20 to $40, so you should be able to get everything that you need for less than $60.

We also have some model rocketry information that you might find helpful at this link - Model Rocketry

Best regards,
Brian

i found a michaels, and hobby lobby near me... also theres a hobbytown usa. i may try these places today.

Last edited:
I understand your feelings on seeing the big - exciting rockets fly and looking at your starter kit. But something to remember with rockets - once the button is pushed the experience is the same for everyone. The thrill of the launch and the wonder of flight is experienced by all at the field. With a success everyone celebrates, with a failure... well everyone argues the best way to get it out of the tree.

Enjoy the hobby/mania!

lol gorilla, im starting to get a better understanding of that, i suppose its more of a fun spectacle then it is just competing for the biggest as far as recreation goes.

i still enjoy the idea of making my first launch by myself just so all i see is the enjoyment of my starter kit the first time lol.

im wondering where to go to launch though, when i first had the idea i didnt realize id need so much space... i dont know of any football fields, possibly i could find a park though.

You will find that most of the people in the club fly a variety of rockets. I would say that the majority of the launches at CMASS will be rockets that are similar in size to what you would find in a "starter set".

I have 1 large rocket. I have launced it once a year for the last 3 years. The rest of the time I mainly fly smaller models.

Last edited:
i headed out towards hobbytown usa because i had bought my traxxas revo there 2 or 3 years back and as i got there i realized they put the hobby lobby in the same plaza recently. i saw the size of hobby lobby which was far bigger and decided to stay loyal to hobbytown usa. i checked things out, talked to someone who worked there a bit. and i ended up leaving with an estes rascal & hi jinks launch set, i was also directed towards the products id need since i didnt go with the quest starter set. which was the recovery wadding and engines. so i got 2 packs of engines a pack of A8-3 to start with. and a pack of b4-4 to step it up afterwards. 3 engines in a pack.

i liked the idea that this launch set included 2 rockets and it was labeled with the highest altitude of launch sets they had in stock. it says 1200 feet, but i learned that would be if i got the higher power engines. so ill be starting smaller then going bigger i suppose.

now to find a place to try to launch tomorrow....

thank you for all your guidance towards my first purchase. now to see where this hobby leads me :)

Last edited:

I'm going to guess that the commercial you saw was the Wells Fargo one.

https://vimeo.com/24085650

That's more than likely the Estes Patriarch, Gold Strike, or Code Red, painted a little differently for the commercial.

The Patriarch and the Code Red are ready-to-fly right out of the box, while the Gold Strike can be built fairly quickly (and comes with another, smaller, rocket that uses smaller engines).

You can find them at www.estesrockets.com, or maybe for less at one of their web dealers.

Edit: Ah, I see you've already hunted for them. Have fun.

Actually, ALL "Starter Sets" come with motors. Only "Launch Sets" do not include motors.

That is why they use different names for them.

And only Quest has "Starter Sets" now. Estes no longer puts motors in any of their sets. Bill Stine pointed this out at NARAM's manufacturers' forum Saturday.

Back