Quest mmx and Estes mini engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Estes mini engines are 13mm diameter, Quest MMX are 6mm.

Ok, would like to get some mini rockets , which is better ? Pros cons ?

There is no such thing as "better" and "worse" types or diameters of motors in model rocketry. It all depends on what appeals to you. 13mm is roughly equivalent to 1/2", and 6mm is roughly equivalent to 1/4". 13mm motors are quite small indeed. 6mm motors are microscopic. Both types are a whole lot of fun.

13mm motors come in three power levels: 1/4A, 1/2A and A.
6mm motors are rated at 1/8A. A 6mm MicroMaxx II motor has roughly half of the total impulse of the smallest 13mm motor.

If you want to launch rockets in a small park, baseball diamond or track infield, rockets designed for 13mm motors are a good choice.

If you want to launch rockets in your back or front yard, rockets designed for 6mm motors are your best bet. That's where they really shine.

Personally, I enjoy building and launching rockets on motors that range in diameter from 6mm all the way up to 38mm. I get great enjoyment out of all of them. There are unique challenges at every step in that range. I am quite typical in that regard. Very few people in this hobby restrict themselves to launching only one kind of rocket on only one type of motor. This hobby contains too many other interesting options! Try both sizes, 13mm and 6mm.

Ok, would like to get some mini rockets , which is better ? Pros cons ?

Totally depends on what you're looking for. Estes 13mm 1/4A-A10 mini motors are wonderful motors for BT-5 and BT-20 size models. They Really Scoot with these small motors. But they do require a pretty good size ball field, or very heavy building to keep them low enough for easy recovery on small fields reaching altitudes between 500 and 1200feet+/-.

Micro Maxx 1/8A.5-1 motors are 6mm (slightly under 1/4") in diameter. but pack a big punch for very small models. T2+ (.281") to BT-5 (.544") OD's. keeping the Liftoff weight between 7 and 10 grams. They can reach altitudes of up to 200feet plus.
The difference is with Micro Maxx they can TRUELY be flown & Recovered in your back yard by making them a bit on the heaver side, most are streamer recovery anyway:)

6mm motors are rated at 1/8A. A 6mm MicroMaxx II motor has roughly half of the total impulse of the smallest 13mm motor.
Yes, and if you happen to get hold of some of the original MMX motors, with the hard sided brown cases, they are nearer 1/12 A, not a full 1/8A as the newer, gray paper cased motors.

Doug

13mm motors come in three power levels: 1/4A, 1/2A and A.
(snip)
If you want to launch rockets in a small park, baseball diamond or track infield, rockets designed for 13mm motors are a good choice.
Keep in mind, the 13mm A motors are still full A's - they have just as much woosh as an 18mm A. So when you put one in a small 13 or 18mm tube (eg, BT-5 or BT-20), it's really easy to lose a rocket. Don't let the small motor case fool you, it's still a (nearly) full A motor.

Doug

Check out Fliskits for some cool MMX kits. Also, go to the Art applewhite website and download the "free MMX saucer(s)" I just did a few days ago. haven't flown it yet but it seems great for backyard flying.

Yes, and if you happen to get hold of some of the original MMX motors, with the hard sided brown cases, they are nearer 1/12 A, not a full 1/8A as the newer, gray paper cased motors.

Doug

Doug:
You can order the Old MMX-I motors in the Plastic casing directly from Quest but You MUST order them by stock number #5662 and be very clear with whoever takes the order you WANT The OLD .21ns original motors;)

Just keep them seperate as they CAN NOT be used in NAR competition.

Back