Research motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketryBen

Reaction score
Since I have gotten my L2, and I'm now working on my L3, I want to start into research motors.
I have some questions.
Is there a starter kit for beginners? Like all the chemicals needed for some motors, and some recipes?
If there isn't a starter kit, where do I get chemicals? What do I need to get? Do these chemicals require hazmat shipping?
______
Forum Mods: Sorry if I'm breaking the rules... I'm trying to be as discreet as possible with research topics.

Ben

Your best way to get started in EX is to find a mentor. Let them show you the ropes and how to mix. They can tell what you need and where to get it. If someone in a prefecture near you does ex classes, take one. It's a great way to start.

You can email the mods to get access to the research section of this forum. Lots of useful stuff on there.

Ideally you'll want a local mentor to show you the ropes. Partially so you learn what to do, but mostly so that you follow safe practices.

There isn't a "Starter kit", but there are a few formulas out there that are fairly easy to make with a minimal amount of chemicals. Your mentor can help you with some starting points.

Thanks guys for the feedback.
I have contacted TRF to get my access to the research forum. I'm very excited to get on there!

Ben

I have a lot of fun doing it... it's time consuming to figure out what works for you, but I enjoy putting the effort in.

Try asking at your local Tripoli launch to see if someone is willing to get you started.

When I started there were classes being held that you could attend to not only learn how to mix but to also buy the hardware and 'mixpacks' that had the chemicals needed to make motors. (The one I attended was put on by John Bolene (https://www.mostlymissiles.com) and Pat G. way back just after the turn of the century.) I still have a big 4" Bolene case that I fly as well as some smaller ones.

As the others have said find a mentor and learn by watching. And by buying EXPERIMENTAL COMPOSITE PROPELLANT By Terry McCreary. (just do a Google search for it.)

Start low and slow and work your way up from there.

Good luck,

Tony

Is there a starter kit for beginners? Like all the chemicals needed for some motors, and some recipes?

FireFox has a starter kit for APCP motors. It has a complete set of chemicals for basic motors and a book with instructions/formulas. You will still need the motor hardware, casting tubes, liners, nozzles etc.

CP Technologies still offers a motor making class. He teaches AN motors rather than AP, but you will definitely learn a lot. I highly recommend the class it you can find the time.

As the others have said find a mentor and learn by watching. And by buying EXPERIMENTAL COMPOSITE PROPELLANT By Terry McCreary. (just do a Google search for it.)

+1 For Terry McCreary's Experimental Composite Propellant book, it is a real page turner. I received my copy back in 2000, and it was signed by Terry (thank you wifey-pooh).

Let me say this much: when I wrote ECP most of the chemicals available to the amateur were surplus and marginally predictable. PBAN seemed the safer route because I could always get it to cure correctly, just heat it long enough. Today you can get good quality HTPB and isocyanate curatives.

So for the beginner I'd now recommend that you start with (good) HTPB and isocyanates. Especially if that's what your mentor is using. Just be sure that the workspace is actively (fan) ventilated. An open garage door is not adequate. Isocyanates are nasty sensitizers, as well as being toxic.

Best,
Terry

A tip: if you buy just enough chemicals to make one motor, plus liner, casting tubes, etc., you will spend more than if you simply bought a reload. Find the other EX folks at your club and get in on a group buy. Prices go way, way down in bulk.

Back