AMW hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericm541

Reaction score
So i was going through my hardware and found a case i used for I315-SK reloads mainly for night launches. Anyone know if this case is compatible with other reloads, looks similar to Loki, i still have a I315-SK for it from like 10 years ago.It's nice to have other reload options.
IMG_1906[1].jpgIMG_1905[1].jpg

so, if memory serves me, it's the 38-640 case. Unfortunately Loki doesn't list any 640 motors (just 480 and 740) Gorilla has 4, but I'm not going to hazard a guess about compatibility, especially since Jim frequents TRF and would be the expert there... Mr. Harris??

oh, forgot totally about kba. If you wander down to ct or make it to METRA I have like one of each in stock.

I'm pretty sure the Kosdon by Aerotech (KBA) 38-640 reloads can be used in that case.

John

Yes, KBA can be used in the AMW 38-640 case. KBA has some good load such as the I550R and J740G.

Do note that Aerotech has two versions of reloads for "KBA" reloads, they are designated as "Kosdon by Aerotech" and "Kosdon by Aerotech - Animal Compatible" (or something like that) on their order form. The 'Kosdon by Aerotech' is for original Kosdon hardware and the 'Kosdon by Aerotech - Animal Compatible' is for the AMW hardware. There are more reload options for the AMW hardware than for the original Kosdon hardware - however cool it may be :).

A bit off topic, but the KBA M3500 RED is a butt kicker. Unfortunately Gary has priced them well out of the original intent of the KBA loads.

The only difference between the kosdon and amw 38/640 is they used differnet nozzles and bulkheads. Amw did make a load that used the kosdon nozzle and bulkhead, the J500. But Paul Robinson gave me the entire remaining inventory he had of them a few years before he passed. Was a very nice motor. I still have a few amw 38 390 and 640 amw loads in my inventory, including an I325W. That is a nice motor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J326AZ using Rocketry Forum mobile app

A bit off topic, but the KBA M3500 RED is a butt kicker. Unfortunately Gary has priced them well out of the original intent of the KBA loads.

+2 The 38/640 reloads came out around 1/2 price of a comparable RMS load now the same price. I don't know why all good things must come to an end. They are really good reloads too.

+2 The 38/640 reloads came out around 1/2 price of a comparable RMS load now the same price. I don't know why all good things must come to an end. They are really good reloads too.

Yeah thats why another reason why i bought the case and a bunch of skidmark reloads, at the time it was about $40.00 each for the I315 sk.

Yeah thats why another reason why i bought the case and a bunch of skidmark reloads, at the time it was about $40.00 each for the I315 sk.

The I315's were my favorite, had a bunch of them. When AMW went South, Aerotech came out with the KBA loads for the motor. They were $27.00, now $55.00. I have 2 I301WL's left, when they are used up the case will be retired/ sold.

The I315's were my favorite, had a bunch of them. When AMW went South, Aerotech came out with the KBA loads for the motor. They were $27.00, now $55.00. I have 2 I301WL's left, when they are used up the case will be retired/ sold.

You're not correct on the timing. The KBA loads came out when Paul Robinson was still running AMW.

I have one I315 left and i heard skidmarks have changed since then, that true at all?

Cti's skidmark formula is different from amw's. Amw actually had 3 different formulas for skidmarks. Small which was used in 38mm loads, med which was used in 54mm and the smaller 75mm loads. Large was used with the 54mm K1000, and the M and N skid loads. Im not sure if cti does something similar. Amw skids had darker smoke, and more sparks imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J326AZ using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Cti's skidmark formula is different from amw's. Amw actually had 3 different formulas for skidmarks. Small which was used in 38mm loads, med which was used in 54mm and the smaller 75mm loads. Large was used with the 54mm K1000, and the M and N skid loads. Im not sure if cti does something similar. Amw skids had darker smoke, and more sparks imo.

Great description of the real Skids from Papa Elf!:)

I have one I315 left and i heard skidmarks have changed since then, that true at all?

There were a few different iterations of the I315 also. The photo you posted in the first post is the original (ie from Paul at AMW); they ran linerless. A later version was produced at the CTI factory and had a liner. Another version were AMW grains delivered to select dealers in bulk, and sold something to the effect of "here's 5 grains, two big O-rings, 5 small O-rings, and a delay grain.":wink: I liked all versions, but enjoyed the genuine AMW produced grains the best!:cool:

Got one left in the inventory....

...think RDH8 has 38 skid grains yet....

The AMW I315's were great loads, the only ones I ever used were the linerless ones. I always coated the casing lightly with SuperLube, but still had a heck of a time cleaning them up.

The AMW I315's were great loads, the only ones I ever used were the linerless ones. I always coated the casing lightly with SuperLube, but still had a heck of a time cleaning them up.

All i've flown in the case were the I315 just for night launches and i hated cleaning the case. One hell of a strong case though, i must of messed up the delay because the rocket never deployed. When i found what was left of the rocket the case was sticking out of the ground. The outer thrust ring was ripped off, the case went through everything in its way, i had to soak it for couple days when i got home because the nozzle compressed all the cardboard in the forward end, Nothing else was damaged

Back