Favorite terminal blocks?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my favorite blocks are the ones I removed. I've gone to direct wiring of my altimeter, one more failure point removed. It was corrosion that got me to do it.

How about for airfstarts, where the motor tends to cook everything? What block do you like there?

Just like the TermBlocks on your EBAY - cover them with some duct tape.
Protects against corrosion, burned wires, shorts....
Simple, cheap and effective.

My favorite terminal blocks are the av-bays that don't need them, wiring the e-match directly to the altimeter, draped into a plastic Doghouse rocketry ejection charge canister. Nothing like a direct connection for peace of mind when the continuity beeps out. Very easy to do with smaller (4" and under?) builds. You can easily plug the hole in the av-bay lid with play-doh or hot glue.

Not my original idea, just copied those ahead of me who knew better, like Tom Binford or CJ.

For those that say you don't use terminal blocks, are you soldering the e-match to the altimeter each time??? Or are you using a terminal block on the altimeter?
I can almost see soldering a length of wire to the altimeter, then using twist & tape, but that is still a failure point. Eventually one would have to solder a new wire to the board.
Just seems to me that repeated soldering on the circuit board would lead to failure of the board....

For those of you who have everything soldered together, how are you charging the batteries on your altimeters? Normally i use terminal blocks and JST connectors, so I can disassemble an av bay down to it's component parts. Maybe a few extra points of failure there, but generally for me, it's improved my failure rate on electronic deployment.

I mount a couple of #6 screws thru the ebay. I put ring terminals on the battery and altimeter sides. The battery one is on the bottom, then a nut and then the altimeter and a wing nut. When I want to charge, the altimeter goes off and charging wires with similar ring terminals, do the deed without a load and then put the altimeters back on when I'm getting ready to fly. Keeps you extra safe while wiring ematches because there's no physical connection to power.

Does anyone have a favorite terminal block they use on the outside of their av-bays for ejection charges? The ones from Apogee seem to work fine, I'm just curious if there's anything better.

Thanks!

In leu of a terminal block, I use the “block connectors” offered by Adept Rocketry. The leads are connected to the altimeter and the 2 block connectors (1 from each altimeter) pass through a single hole drilled in the bulkhead. Like others, a weld nut is used to cover this hole and provide strain relief. The ematches easily attach to the block connectors,external to the bulkhead, and then a layer of masking tape covers the connections and prevents erosion. This works very well and simplifies the opening of the av-bay without the need to disconnect and reconnect ring terminals or the potential loosening of nuts that may in turn result in a BP charge not firing. I haven’t done it yet, but this approach should work well for air starts also.

Fred, L2
KG4YGP
member of ICBM, S.C.

In leu of a terminal block, I use the “block connectors” offered by Adept Rocketry. The leads are connected to the altimeter and the 2 block connectors (1 from each altimeter) pass through a single hole drilled in the bulkhead. Like others, a weld nut is used to cover this hole and provide strain relief. The ematches easily attach to the block connectors,external to the bulkhead, and then a layer of masking tape covers the connections and prevents erosion. This works very well and simplifies the opening of the av-bay without the need to disconnect and reconnect ring terminals or the potential loosening of nuts that may in turn result in a BP charge not firing. I haven’t done it yet, but this approach should work well for air starts also.

Fred, L2
KG4YGP
member of ICBM, S.C.

Correction: Tommy at Adept rocketry refers to these connectors as “box” connectors (not block). For further info see: https://www.adeptrocketry.com/CAB2cart.htm

Fred

Back