Control Line B-17.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here ya go-
2jdhvts.jpg

34xnjoo.jpg

2v28r5c.jpg

Control line was fun, it's always fun to see people still doing it.

I was able to get all my Cox .049 planes to fly, but just barely. Lived in Denver CO at the time so the 5000+ft elevation really didn't do those motors any favors. We then started to fly .30 and .40 size planes which had no problems.

The trick was to put a TeeDee .049 head/cylinder/piston set (much higher compression and two intake ports rather than one) on a Babe Bee and use at least 25% nitro fuel. That was the only way to get a Cox RTF to fly in Santa Fe (another 2000 feet higher). I flew the Cox P-40 that way. A regular Babe Bee without the TeeDee hopup would fly the little Carl Goldberg Swordsman 18 at 7000 feet OK, though.

As an electric RC airplane guy in the 1980s it was fun to go back to the southwest (my family in Santa Fe, my grandparents in Denver) and fly just fine - simply by putting on a coarser prop so that the power system drew about the same current as the normal prop at sea level. Then, as long as one watched out for the higher stall speeds, pretty decent performance could be had. But the locals at the flying fields all thought it wouldn't work until they saw it..... :D

Of course now it's fun to see how much higher my rockets fly starting at 7000 feet MSL than they do around here.....

As for that B-36 - wow. I often dreamed of an electric RC B-36 about that size, but that's a project I'll probably never do.

And as for the OP - at first I thought we were going to be treated to one of Paul Walker's B-17 stunt models. But the scale model is cool...though from the way the pilot moves around the center of the circle in the video, it's pulling pretty doggone hard.

"though from the way the pilot moves around the center of the circle in the video, it's pulling pretty doggone hard." Once flying, it was the first thing I saw too. He was holding on for dear life.

Back