The Staple Model of the Hobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely the Alpha. In fact I just finished one for it's 50th anniversary of production.

Moving on to the PSII Nike Smoke, it is an excellent kit and at 30 dollars, I may pick up a backup for mine.

The verdict is in! I have a bulk pack of Alphas on the way.

Had to think/sleep on the premise of this thread a bit. Anyway,yes, a $30 dollar PSII Smoke is a good deal, assuming shipping is reasonable. I think the case can be made for the Nike Smoke being a staple of the hobby, especially in the scale model sub-genre. It's an iconic shape and relatively easy to make a stable flyer in many scales. I'll venture to say that there have been current production kits available from someone almost continuously since the 1960's (but I haven't done the research). I think the op wanted to ensure a lively discussion wording the title the way he did. :wink:

Completing the order process and discovered that shipping was $18! Oh well, gotta pay to play, right?

Over 49 years in and out of rocketry, I've built probably a dozen Alphas.

I think I have 4 in my current fleet. Pretty much every time I fly, i send up an Alpha on an A8-3 as a sounding rocket to get a grip on field conditions.

Interesting method! I like that idea. Good for general wind conditions. I see that it can exceed 1000 feet on C motors. A good gauge at sport flying altitudes.

Back