Shout-out to rocketry friends...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't forget John Coker! I learn a ton from his great How-to Videos.
His FG skills are EPIC!

My list could go on and on and on. Here are a few of the ones that always hang out at the top:

David Reese
Wildman
C/J
Steve P
Justin F
Eric C
Preston N
Bob Brown
Terry S
Lance L

And of course, Gus

This is a quick list I can make without any thought and the guys who have made a pretty big impact on my enjoyment in the hobby. The list can go on and on and on. I have never been part of a group that has so many good people.

Last edited:
My list could go on and on and on. Here are a few of the ones that always hang out at the top:

David Reese
Wildman
C/J
Steve P
Justin F
Eric C
Preston N
Bob Brown
Terry S
Lance L

And of course, Gus

This is a quick list I can make without any thought and the guys who have made a pretty big impact on my enjoyment in the hobby. The list can go on and on and on. I have never been part of a group that has so many good people.

Oh...you SILLY! :p Angry phone calls DO WORK! ;)

Seriously though, i have never met a greater group than ALL of you. :eek:

I really do miss Drag Racing though but, i don't miss all the down time in the staging lanes waiting on yet another "Track Cleanup". Do you ever wonder where i get my warped sense of humor (that is not displayed here TOO much due to language limitations)? I've gotten second degree sunburns while telling some of the finest off color humor at 1/4 mile and, 1/8th mile tracks throughout the greater midwest! :lol:

CZ, what a great thread you posted. Very cool.
(and yeah, it's something that's sorely needed of late, "with the current state of things")

I immediately thought I was going to post because there are a LOT of folks 'round here that I'd like to give that shout out to, and that rightfully deserve it.
The problem is, as I realized once I started to write, is that there are too many! Dozens at least. Then I started panicking, thinking, "how am I going to give proper due to so many?", and worse, "what if I brain-fart and forget someone?" (like an awards speech).

Honestly, the task seems too daunting! So, for the moment, instead of doing it poorly and incomplete, I'll keep the thoughts and hope that I can give them proper due soon.

In the meantime, know that there are many, many folks on this forum that I owe a lot of thanks to.
Thank you cool TRF folk!!

ssix

For those of you that don't know Gus... You're missing out.
His TRF handle is "SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda"... I'm sure someone else knows what the heck that means, but I don't...
I know a few things about Gus:
1) He loves Twinkies
2) He loves redheads
3) He loves his sparkies. Sometimes they start fires. Sometimes they start a lot of fires. We put them out, though, so it's all good.
4) When I say "loves" it doesn't quite express it accurately
5) He's one of the nicest, funniest, best guys I've met since hanging around rocket-folk...
6) He's got an awesome truck. Very new and very cool. I want a truck like that someday.
7) His TRF posts consist of what's actually going on inside his brain. And it's amusing. ... ... ... if slightly off-color.
Yep. If you don't know Gus, you should...

His TRF handle is "SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda"... I'm sure someone else knows what the heck that means, but I don't...
1) He loves Twinkies
2) He loves redheads
3) He loves his sparkies. Sometimes they start fires. Sometimes they start a lot of fires. We put them out, though, so it's all good.
5) He's one of the nicest, funniest, best guys I've met since hanging around rocket-folk...
6) He's got an awesome truck. Very new and very cool. I want a truck like that someday.
7) His TRF posts consist of what's actually going on inside his brain. And it's amusing. ... ... ... if slightly off-color.

The SS/EA is a drag racing designation for a Super Stock/E motor size Automatic Transmission. 6BBl stands for 6 barrels of carburation meaning 3 two barrel carburetors in a row. Also known as a Six Pack, an allusion to a 6 pack of beer. The Cuda is a Plymouth Barracuda but they shortened the name to Cuda. In the Super Stock class they are allowed certain modifications not allowed to stock class cars. The "E" class designation would most likely mean that it is a 340 cubic inch motor. This is a high output small block Chrysler motor. it came with a "Six Pack" carburation option. The only other Chrysler motor to come with a Six Pack was the 440 big block but I think it's class is either SS/AA or SS/BA but I think SS/AA is owned by the 426 Hemi Cuda. The 71 is of course the year of the car, 1971. In 1972 the Government ripped the guts out of car motors with the emissions standards. I remember the '72 Corvette as having like 180-200 horsepower....

Eric;
I will have to second your bromance for Gus P. Was going to post something about him and Justin Ferrand next week on what they've done for me, so this is just as good a place as any.

My wife has heard me talk about rocketry people... Lord knows she has put up with my hobbies, MANY of them. I got back from Gus and said what most rocket wives know all to well... "Honey, I've started my Level 3 plans".... I also shared all the info that Gus has shared with me, offered to go anywhere to be my TAP flight witness, etc.

She followed with " it's really neat to see that everyone on this hobby wants others to win as well". She summed up the rocketry community well.

Justin F. Walks by my rocket in Michigan that had been hanging high in a tree for a month and takes the time to not only get it out of the tree, but txts me this morning to say " I got your motor hardware all cleaned up for you" man I could almost cry ...I have an excuse for that ... Many head injuries from my other hobbies.

Gus is going to meet Justin at MMMP and , offered to drive it down and hand deliver it... In his cool truck or even cooler Camaro.

Well guys not sure if I can ever pay you back , but if the opportunity is there, I definitely will... At the least I will pay it forward.

I can go on about others helps as well , some I only know online but there willingness to go out of there to help has been really amazing, Bob @ Countyline, Mike at MAC, CJ, Teddy, K'Tesh, JJSR, and many others, y'all are some cool people

1) He loves Twinkies
2) He loves redheads

And if Gus ever finds a redhead carrying twinkies.... :y: :y:

The SS/EA is a drag racing designation for a Super Stock/E motor size Automatic Transmission. 6BBl stands for 6 barrels of carburation meaning 3 two barrel carburetors in a row. Also known as a Six Pack, an allusion to a 6 pack of beer. The Cuda is a Plymouth Barracuda but they shortened the name to Cuda. In the Super Stock class they are allowed certain modifications not allowed to stock class cars. The "E" class designation would most likely mean that it is a 340 cubic inch motor. This is a high output small block Chrysler motor. it came with a "Six Pack" carburation option. The only other Chrysler motor to come with a Six Pack was the 440 big block but I think it's class is either SS/AA or SS/BA but I think SS/AA is owned by the 426 Hemi Cuda. The 71 is of course the year of the car, 1971. In 1972 the Government ripped the guts out of car motors with the emissions standards. I remember the '72 Corvette as having like 180-200 horsepower....

Dave is absolutely correct in his definition...Yes the "E" would be the 340 car weight break and, a 440 equipped car generally runs in the "C" class IF i remember right but, i have been known to be wrong.

A little acid bath and, some smudgy factory paperwork and, its a "B" for sure! ;)

Eric;
I will have to second your bromance for Gus P. Was going to post something about him and Justin Ferrand next week on what they've done for me, so this is just as good a place as any.

My wife has heard me talk about rocketry people... Lord knows she has put up with my hobbies, MANY of them. I got back from Gus and said what most rocket wives know all to well... "Honey, I've started my Level 3 plans".... I also shared all the info that Gus has shared with me, offered to go anywhere to be my TAP flight witness, etc.

She followed with " it's really neat to see that everyone on this hobby wants others to win as well". She summed up the rocketry community well.

Justin F. Walks by my rocket in Michigan that had been hanging high in a tree for a month and takes the time to not only get it out of the tree, but txts me this morning to say " I got your motor hardware all cleaned up for you" man I could almost cry ...I have an excuse for that ... Many head injuries from my other hobbies.

Gus is going to meet Justin at MMMP and , offered to drive it down and hand deliver it... In his cool truck or even cooler Camaro.

Well guys not sure if I can ever pay you back , but if the opportunity is there, I definitely will... At the least I will pay it forward.

I can go on about others helps as well , some I only know online but there willingness to go out of there to help has been really amazing, Bob @ Countyline, Mike at MAC, CJ, Teddy, K'Tesh, JJSR, and many others, y'all are some cool people

Man, I second that fer sure Nick..
Rocketry does have some of the coolest people...lol...

Teddy

Ya know... I realized I never did my full shoutout on here.....

The list of people who deserve a shoutout:
Jim Scarpine... Tirelessly mentored a group of 4 rocket crazed teens to help us build a massive L3 sized rocket.

Gus Pippenburg... For his hilarious spit-your-drink-all-over-your-computer posts that he is oh so famous for. :D Also for that epic thunderstruck tshirt ya gave me a while back.

Papa Seagul (fyrwyrxz)... For offering me to let me live in his sono tube pile. I think he said he finally got AC installed.... :D

Tim Dixon... Whose "workshop cleanouts" in the yard sale section helped me get a bunch of rocketry stuff that I never would have had. He Pays it Forward a lot, and he's a good man for doing that. :D

And how could I forget.... our very own Ted Chernok. He's super nice whenever you talk to him, and he even set me up with a recovery harness one time right after my dog died. :)

Last edited:
Bill Bertoldi from Michigan is quite a cool dude. He's devoted a lot of time and energy into his school's rocketry programs, and he's awesome to have around at launches. Truly a top notch guy. Made ice cream cones for everyone at the launch today.... that's Bill for ya.
Keep him in your thoughts as he's got some things preventing him from launching any time soon.

Back