Fishing Rod Guides?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know some people twist wire loop lugs, but has anyone tried fishing rod guides?

If so, what worked? What didn't work? It seems like there could be a pretty significant drag reduction; I'm imagining embedding them in a wing root fillet.

I'm poking around looking for a low-profile type with two legs ; would anyone know what that's called?

They seem to be designated in mm, except when they're not.

Do they all stand proud of the pole, or are some lower profile than others?

Pretty sure they all "Stand Proud", as you do not want your line bouncing off the rod when you cast, and likewise when you real in.
It's the nature of the beast with guides. There are some fancy ones out there.

Is this what you mean by "Stand Proud"???

StuffsMARCH18th2016 2002-12-31 009.jpg

As opposed to, "Not So Proud", as illustrated here?:

StuffsMARCH18th2016 2002-12-31 008.jpg

?

I just made this with some wire and pliers by wrapping it around the handle of my X-acto knife.

I have been using home made snake type guides for some time. Single turn with the entry and exit of the turn separated as much as one diameter of the loop. That makes the loop at 45* and not as likely to bind the rod should the loupe flex downward at launch. At times the last 1/8 inch was bent 90* to either lay flat against the tube or poke through the tube to prevent wiggle.

Cheap, fast, aerodynamic and much less visible than other methods. :)

Richard

Back