Wildman 4" Dink ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're all forgetting... Adrian's rockets survive the Bong Water... Maybe he's on to something...

We're all forgetting... Adrian's rockets survive the Bong Water... Maybe he's on to something...

Rockets, yes. My clothes, and dignity, will never be the same. The shoes I wore into the swamp never smelled like stinky feet again, swamp smell is worse apparently... Who knew??? My white socks I had on are now more of a dingy ivory, despite several hot water washes WITH bleach...

But anyhow, here are the pictures I promised... Motor mounts installed and glued in place with 4500. The only downside of these beautiful red tubes is that you can see how good(bad) your internal fillets are... I could have done better, but I'm not gonna throw in 6XL loads in these rockets (yet... :dark: )

Adrian

Adrian, I'm liking your Dink!:cyclops:

Let me get this straight. You glue on the fins. Then you break them off. Then you clean off the glue. Then you glue them on again.

How many times do you repeat this cycle?:confused: Givin' you a hard time, but I honestly wouldn't think to glue it, break off and de-glue, then re-glue....interesting technique. I think I follow, though!

-Eric-

Well basically I find it easier to tack the fins on with a few dabs of CA and then put the top centering ring in place, rather than measure and mark the tube, then hope you put the ring on the right spot on the line or tape ring... Maybe I'm lazy (or genius :eyeroll: ); probably a fine line between the two... :kill:
But the fins fit REAL snug when you are ready to install them. Less chance for leaks when injecting.
Who knows, I might even put on a fin or two this weekend... How many do I need to fly these???

Adrian

Don't over do it! You might throw out your back.

Lookit that! All 3 (6 actually) fins tacked on. I used West Systems 5 minute epoxy. Great stuff! However, it's not 8 minute or even 6 minute epoxy...
You better be done positioning things by 4 minutes, because this stuff is done at exactly 5 minutes. But that's why I like it so much. I get one fin tacked on my Dink (no, I didn't break them off again. No one likes a broken Dink...), then tack one fin on the Jart. I only mixed enough epoxy to tack one fin at a time. Pretty soon all fins are done... Yippie! Next will be internal injections. But not today. The 5 minute may be set, but I like to let it cure for 24 hrs.
And I don't have time to do them today...

Adrian

OK, all internal fillets done. 2cc's of West Sys w/chopped carbon per fin tab. Pictures are a little too vague on this operation, so you'll have to wait until I start the externals.
On the 3" Jart, I decided the buttered tabs were good enough and will just do small externals to avoid excess tail weight. It's not likely to fly on 38mm 6XL loads (yet... :dark: )

Adrian

OK, all internal fillets done. 2cc's of West Sys w/chopped carbon per fin tab. Pictures are a little too vague on this operation, so you'll have to wait until I start the externals.
On the 3" Jart, I decided the buttered tabs were good enough and will just do small externals to avoid excess tail weight. It's not likely to fly on 38mm 6XL loads (yet... :dark: )

Adrian

I'm catching up on the Jart...

I'm catching up on the Jart...

Probably pass me soon. I need to tape the body tube and fins for external fillets, but have been busy (lazy...?). Hopefully this weekend I'll get back to it.
The Dink is still topless tho, so it might not fly well yet...

Adrian

Detachable Penis

Funny story about that song- a friend and I were djs on the radio in college and played that song. It was a catholic school. The administration was "not amused." Weirdly enough, we played Slayer earlier in the broadcast and didn't get in trouble for that.

now back to your regularly scheduled Dink discussion.

Well unless...?

[YOUTUBE]byDiILrNbM4[/YOUTUBE]

Ya know, you're pretty hip for a guy with stainless steel hip and knee(s?)... :wink:
Never heard of these guys before.
Now you know that the missing nose cone is gonna have to be painted purple when it returns... :dark:

Adrian

I forgot that nothin sticks to the inside of the standard plastic cones.
Oh well, I learned how to shape loose BB's into a cone shape :facepalm:
On the the plus side, the mistake came out real easy... Too easy...
I might splurge if Tim has a red 3" FWFG cone. or even if he doesn't have red ones... :confused2:
Arrgh!!! friken iPhone pics. When I saved them to the computer, they were oriented correctly. Now that I posted them they reverted back to thhbbbpttt!!!

Adrian

Last edited:
Why, pray tell, did the kit not come with a fiberglass nosecone? I thought all Tim's fiberglass kits had fiberglass or polycarbonate cones.

Why, pray tell, did the kit not come with a fiberglass nosecone? I thought all Tim's fiberglass kits had fiberglass or polycarbonate cones.

2" and 3" jarts have plastic nosecones... Keeps the price reasonable. The Super Jart has a FWFG nosecone

2" and 3" jarts have plastic nosecones... Keeps the price reasonable. The Super Jart has a FWFG nosecone

Did not know that. I've ordered kits from Tim for a decade and all 20 or so have had fiberglass nosecone (including mini's, 2.1" and 3") with the exception of the last couple being polycarbonate. Have never ordered a Jart or Dink though.

The Dink came with a Polycarbonate cone. However, mine took a one way trip to Canada, Eh, with 3 of it's friends... I've heard from CTI. They got the cones, but don't have a date as to when the replacements will be sent out. :(
The 3" Jart may get switched to FWFG or maybe a polycarb... Depends on price. Oh, who am I kidding... If he has a 3" red FWFG, that's gonna be mine....... :wink:

Adrian

So, all of the fillets are actually done. I guess I'll paint the Dink body, since the nosecone is still drinking Molson (or whatever Canadian beer/spirit you prefer...) up north.
The 3" Jart body will get a clear coat. Then we'll see what sort of cone I pick up from Wildman, but I've already decided the plastic has to go... Don't know why...
:confused2: :confused2:

Adrian

Last edited:
My 3" Jart looked great in the plastic nosecone. Fantastic.
Then I put it in the car, drove to the launch, and BAM... paint was flaking off. UGH

Well,
I finally decided to do some rocket work today while waiting for laundry, since I couldn't mow the lawn... Neighbor is (still) having a party and some of the guests decide to park in some of the lawn I need to mow (any excuse to not mow I guess. I HATE mowing!).
Since I got a 3" black filament wound NC for the Yellow Star (3" Dark Star in yellow tube), I had the 3" polycarb cone laying around, so....
Here it is, although someone cut the top off the pic. :mad:

Whad ya think? Better than the plastic cone? It's a little longer as it's a 4 to 1, but all my Jarts have the longer filament cones so far.

Adrian

Back