Questions on getting started

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick481

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been flying model rockets for years but now I want to start flying mid and eventually high power with a local club. I decided a good choice would be to build an estes partizon to be able to initially fly with G motors and eventually be able to use it for my level 1 certification. I was wondering if there are any other things I should order that will allow it to eventually be capable of handling a low H motor in the future or just general things that will help like rail buttons instead of the lugs. Also, is there such thing as a reload able motor casing that has reload setups for both g and h impulses? I'm not trying to be overly cheap with it, but it would be nice to not have to keep getting new hardware :).
Thanks,
Nikkolas

Last edited:
The answer is yes to all your questions.

1) Build: Make sure to leave out the motor block ring from the inside of the motor mount tube as H and I motors are available from Aerotech and CTI that will need the extra space. Ditch the Estes shock cord and use a HPR style Kevlar one. Since the Partizon is a long rocket put a parachute shelf to keep the laundry (parachute and harness) from sliding to far down the tube, a bulkhead with six 3/8" holes will do the job, and you can put a eyebolt in the center of it to attach the recovery harness to. Epoxy is not necessary on the build as yellow wood glue is stronger than the materials the rocket is made out of, however it is easier to make external fillets with epoxy.

2)Decide now if you want a payload bay or an electronics bay for dual deployment.

3) rail guides are better than launch lugs any day, since rails are stiffer than rods.

4)Aerotech and CTI make reloadeable motors in 29mm, a good combination of cases for Aerotech is the 29/40-120 (referred to as a Hobbyline case) and the 29/180, 29/240, and 29/360 cases (last three are referred to as RMS or High power cases) these 4 cases will cover the range of E to I motors. CTI sells their motors as 1-6 Grain motors and covers a similar range. CTI reloads are slightly more expensive than Aerotech reloads and all of them require HazMat fees to ship, Aerotech hardware is slightly more expensive than CTI but the reloads are cheaper and many can be shipped HazMat free. AT loads require some assembly, and CTI loads just require removing from the package (they are unitized) and sliding into the case and tightening the rear closure. Both Aerotech and CTI have adjustable delays with a tool specific to each manufacturer.

Most of us on TRF highly recommend joining a local club, the flyers are freindly and more than willing to mentor new flyers, plus you get to see what your local vendors carry and see what others are flying.

Search TRF (using the advanced search) for Partizon build threads and common modifications.

Last edited:
Hi Nick -

The Estes Partizon is on sale now - cheap at Estesrockets.com $22.50. You can build stock, and fly it all day on F and G motors. You can add a set of rail buttons on one side and keep the launch lug on another side - then you can fly from either a rod, or a rail.

The (stock) elastic shock cord will work fine, but you can use a long piece of kevlar or nylon strap (about 15 feet long) in place of the stock shock cord. You can use dogbarf for wadding - ask about dogbarf at the club launch. You might also want to invest in a 9x9 nomex blanket. You can use dogbarf and nomex together at the same time to protect the parachute.

Nothing beats an Aerotech single-use 29mm H motor $30 for an easy-peasy L1 certification. My wife used an H115 for her L1 cert. It's true that the propellant for reloads is cheaper, but then you have to buy the case (or borrow a case) and you have to assemble the motor etc. If you are not going to fly a bunch of H and I motors... the single-use cert motor is a great way to get started.

Your stock Partizon will go pretty high on an H motor. Expect 2000 or 2500 feet depending on which motor you use. This creates another challenge, recovery can be harder when the rocket goes higher than you are used to. Pick a day with very clear skies, and very little wind to go for your L1. It helps to bring a few friends to help you watch the rocket.

5 mph wind, mine landed 1 mile away on a G74. GL! I have 3 extra kits. It is a great rocket

Welcome to the forum.

Since you want to certify, you will probably need to do that at a club launch. So as others suggested, look for a club in your area.

Where are you? If you are in the U.S. then you need to join NAR or Tripoli to get your certification. It is easiest if you join the organization that the local club belongs to.

As one on my own journey to my first L1 attempt, I can echo the suggestion to join a local club. I would also suggest to keep researching on this forum. It is chalk full of great information. I keep a onenote of all topics I know I'll refer back to again. Ask questions. Everyone has been extremely helpful and friendly during my build. Watch videos over at apogee components. Tim has quite a bit of great information over there, in my opinion. Best of luck in your pursuit!

Wow thanks for all the great help guys! :) I was planning on joining my closest club (spaceport rocketry in central florida) and then later joining Tripoli when I am ready for the level 1 attempt (Tripoli because of long term aspirations of large experimental stuff, but not to worry about that at all yet!). I will make sure to also check all the resources you guys suggested.
Thanks again,
Nikkolas

Hi Nick481,

I have to say that sounds like a mighty fine plan. You don't wanna jump into high-power too fast, but you're taking all the right steps. An Estes Partizon is a excellent rocket to fly mid-power and eventually get your certification on. Definitely join a NAR or Tripoli affiliated club in your area, and if you can go to club meetings. There will likely be someone experienced there to teach you all you need to know about model rocketry. If you are getting your L1 there is not much more than rail buttons and maybe a few things to learn about. Most reloadable motors require assembly, and from what I know you will have to buy your own black powder, however if you aren't willing to assemble your motors everytime, or do not have access to black powder, stick to single use motors, they are more expensive, but they usually never fail, which happens occasionally with a reloadble motor.

I've been in the hobby of model rocketry for a little longer than two years now, so I definitely understand where you're coming from. Other than that, welcome to the forum, and have fun!

Bill

Wow thanks for all the great help guys! :) I was planning on joining my closest club (spaceport rocketry in central florida) and then later joining Tripoli when I am ready for the level 1 attempt (Tripoli because of long term aspirations of large experimental stuff, but not to worry about that at all yet!). I will make sure to also check all the resources you guys suggested.
Thanks again,
Nikkolas
Consider joining the national organization your local club affiliates with right away. The memberships include insurance in case of a mishap. If you are over 18 the club may require national organization membership. It may seem costly at first, but it is well worth it.

The best places to learn how to get started are at a local club launch or at a local hobby shop that deals in rocketry gear. Observe and ask questions. If there is a vendor on site, talk to them about what they carry. This can help guide your reloadable hardware choices.

Have fun. Rocketry is a great hobby.

Last edited:
So I finished building the rocket mostly, it just needs the fin fillets sanded and some paint. Do you guys recommend plastic rivets for holding on the top tube to the coupler so it can be removed to set up the recovery harness? Also should I drill vent holes in the top tube to prevent the nose cone from deploying from pressure drop? I am not sure how big or how many there should be.
Nikkolas

not really sure that you need a vent...I have heard that in general they are 'needed' if the rocket goes over 3K feet, however one hole 1/8" dia. just aft of the nose cone shoulder should suffice.
Rex

I want to begin making amateur rockets. I do have a few hundreds dollars to spare from my scholarships and I wanted to know where should I get started. I want to start off buying kits to learn more so what would you recommend.

Also I would like to later on to learn to build from scratch which I am completely unaware of where to start.

I want to begin making amateur rockets. I do have a few hundreds dollars to spare from my scholarships and I wanted to know where should I get started. I want to start off buying kits to learn more so what would you recommend.

Have you ever built any kind of rocket? I don't know whether to tell you to go buy a fiberglass rocket and some epoxy, or an Estes rocket and some Elmer's glue. What is your experience level?

Also I would like to later on to learn to build from scratch which I am completely unaware of where to start.

I'd also suggest downloading Open Rocket. Read and study this forum, and just play around designing and getting a feel for it. Understand the CG and CP. You don't have to build it, just work on designing it. After you feel somewhat comfortable, and have perused this forum, you'll find yourself understanding the questions you form while playing in the software. look at the videos etc mentioned earlier. Big kits are cool; but get some skills on cheap rockets and work your way up to it. It'll help your confidence level as well as your success level. My 2 cents.

Back