What Type of Camera Do You Use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketjet787

Reaction score
I have been looking into getting a camera. I have heard about the mobius and think that's a good option, but am not yet sold. I recently ran across some cameras for $100 but they have magnets on them. They are not super powerful but warn against putting them near cards, phones, etc. So would these affect the altimeters if they were put into the ave bay together?

Also what other cameras have people had luck with?

I tried countless 808s and other cheap Chinese cameras. They never work for me.

I bought a Mobius and could not be happier with it. I am going to get one with the other lens at some point.

I got an 808 #16 on a bag to go into a camera shroud as I don't want to use tape of possible. I also have an 808#18 which I taped to my daughters big daddy and was very pleased with the results. (it just doesn't fit the camera shroud

I like this one, it works pretty good for the price, I even had it land in water and it still works.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17200__HD_Wing_Camera_1280x720p_30fps_5MP_CMOS.h tml

I haven't loaded any of the rocket video I have yet, but now i have a reason to. I'll see if I can get something down loaded tomorrow for you.

[video=youtube;ipt7xXVbIKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipt7xXVbIKY[/video]
for a quick look at the video from this camera, this is just laying on my truck dashboard. (I need to clean my windows)

The mobius works, is cheap, and shrouds are easy to get.... no reason not to get it.

[youtube]bVJD1Akxh-U[/youtube]

I spent a few years burning through 808's and electrical tape. Last year I treated myself to a Mobius.

Both will work, the Mobius is my fav and I will be getting more shrouds and at least one more Mobius this coming month!

I have been looking into getting a camera. I have heard about the mobius and think that's a good option, but am not yet sold. I recently ran across some cameras for $100 but they have magnets on them. They are not super powerful but warn against putting them near cards, phones, etc. So would these affect the altimeters if they were put into the ave bay together?

Also what other cameras have people had luck with?

If you have been looking, you looked in to how the light that goes thru a lens works.

Until you research how this works, explaining how it works to you is pointless.

You should understand how and why the principles of light work before you wonder why a lens is mae to do what it does.

OK, awesome! The mobius looks pretty good, I have an 808 cam and agree its great for the price. However, I am looking for something with better quality, and the mobius looks like a good contender. Thanks for all the help! :)

If you have been looking, you looked in to how the light that goes thru a lens works.

Until you research how this works, explaining how it works to you is pointless.

You should understand how and why the principles of light work before you wonder why a lens is ma(d)[SIC]e to do what it does.

Talk about a useless post count booster... It's not like this guy is trying to pry the formula for a liquid fueled rocket out of the forum, nor a request for lessons on the principles of particle physics. It is a simple request for recommendations on choosing a camera. If you can't add something of value (even humor) or won't help him, why not stay out of it?

Now it looks like he's made his decision.

I was going to recommend the 808 BTW.

Last edited:
Lot's of videos from the mobius so I figured I'd add one from an 808 for anyone who might want to compare. This was attached with one of Landru's camera shrouds, which are awesome.

[video=youtube;pRKe3Nv6N1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRKe3Nv6N1Y?vq=hd720[/video]

Last edited:
Back