New FAA rules for unmanned aircraft

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsai

Reaction score
Folks,

Just a friendly service announcement.

I got the following note from the AMA. In case you're not a member of the AMA, I'm posting it here to spread awareness. Any R/C aircraft will be be bound by these rules, including rocket gliders.

Cheers,
- Ken
---------------------

You're receiving this email because of your affiliation with the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
spacer Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member Communication
AMATodayHeaderV2_03b spacer
spacer Monday, December 14, 2015
spacer

AMA and the FAA Registration Process

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week. AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.

Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.

While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:

All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
You only need to register once every 3 years.
We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:
We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week. However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.
This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.

Thank you,
AMA Government Relations and Advocacy Team

of note, you cant register until dec 21. you can look at the site right now however

A shame it had to come to this, due to a number of idiots doing stupid stuff in bad places and usually posting it on Youtube.

Some of my RGs will get registered and some will not, due to the 9oz/250g limit.

Interestingly, some of mine that are under 9oz as a rocket glider will still have to registered, as adding the flight battery, esc and electric motor will make them over 9oz as electric aircraft....:)

I have over 100 R/C aircraft, most of them flyable...glad it was not registration by aircraft for recreational models!

There were no idiots doing stuff it's all a sham, no actual proof of any near airline miss was ever given. Only stories that were created to cause a fear or panic show us the arrest records, camera footage, or multiple eye witnesses!? There arnt any, this is about information control. The government can't have drones collecting information for any reason on them, so it's time to register so the can track who is doing what.

Any one flying RC will tell you that. All of the sudden there is a problem with this? I call BS!

TA

There were no idiots doing stuff it's all a sham, no actual proof of any near airline miss was ever given. Only stories that were created to cause a fear or panic show us the arrest records, camera footage, or multiple eye witnesses!? There arnt any, this is about information control. The government can't have drones collecting information for any reason on them, so it's time to register so the can track who is doing what.

Any one flying RC will tell you that. All of the sudden there is a problem with this? I call BS!

TA

"Control" being the...

Operative word...

It's a shame that there are idiots in this world that go and spoil things for everyone else, but that's the world we live in. Case in point, a few months ago there was a small brush fire in the mountains off of the 15 freeway going to Barstow, they tried to put it out with a water-drop helicopter but it had to pull back because some doofus decided he wanted to take pictures with his quad. By the time the heli was cleared for the drop, it had gotten out of control and it ended up burning several hundred acres, frying dozens of cars as it jumped across the freeway and burning several structures.

https://abc7.com/news/north-fire-sh...ars-prompts-evacuations-in-cajon-pass/859747/

The danger to aircraft from these things is real, just as the danger to aircraft from HPR is real. That's why the FAA puts restrictions on HPR flights, and why we all respectfully follow the rules in order to be able to pursue our hobby. There may be no danger if your fly out in the middle of nowhere, but the rules have to be written to apply equally to everyone everywhere, so there they are. Registering larger quads that are out of the toy category is probably the least restrictive thing that the FAA could have done, so we should count our blessings and hope that some really stupid person doesn't make it more difficult for us later on.

TA

While there are certainly cynical people at work in our government, I would not underestimate the destructive power of idiots...."Never attribute to malice that which is better explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

I have to side with the "BS" call for the number of "sightings" by pilots. Seeing a 2' dia skeletal object (quad copter) against the background clutter of trees, shrubs or buildings at 500 yards (or 500') is exceptionally hard even when you know were to look. I'd like to see the "log book" recording the >300 near misses reported this year. It does not excuse careless or foolish actions by R/C pilots, however. I think the near-miss chant is another one like "do it for the children".

I wonder if in the Barstow fire, did the heli see the quad and abort the drop or did ground crew report that one was in operation in the area?

It appears the operator, not the craft, have to be registered with the FAA. So, if you have a large stable of R/C planes, etc., you have to register and record your "number" in each craft. I get the feeling "we" will be forced to do the same for HPR shortly even though they are not "remotely controlled". I already have contact info on my motor cases. I want them back if I lose them!

Where does one draw the line?

Interestingly, it's more of a registration for the flyer. one flyer = one number, regardless of the number of drones. You have to put your identifier on the drone, but it could be in the battery compartment as long as you don't have to use tools to get it open. So i guess that if there's a near miss, they will look at the list as potential suspects. Gotta wonder how many people will not register, which would be one flaw. The other and more obvious one is that true bad guys aren't going to register their drones anyhow.

Interestingly, it's more of a registration for the flyer. one flyer = one number, regardless of the number of drones. You have to put your identifier on the drone, but it could be in the battery compartment as long as you don't have to use tools to get it open. So i guess that if there's a near miss, they will look at the list as potential suspects. Gotta wonder how many people will not register, which would be one flaw. The other and more obvious one is that true bad guys aren't going to register their drones anyhow.

Same as any other registration. You'll get a certain percentage of compliance, but I'd bet it's dwarfed by non-compliance. They're only registering flyers because of the sheer number of models out there - some that will crash in the first minute in the air. And what's to stop someone from putting someone else's registration number on a quadcopter and then crashing it onto the White House lawn?

Chris

The entire community need to say NO and REFUSE!!! They cant arrest us all we need to say NO!

TA

The Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) has been spending much time and effort lobbying the FAA to have hobby aircraft exempted from the new proposed regulations. Apparently that didn't work out.

With the new popularity of "drones" I am assuming a lot of the reported sightings are just assumed to be drones much the same a lot of different sightings during the 60's were assumed to be flying saucers. Later most of these were debunked. There have been at least three drones that have compromised the security around the White House. I find it difficult to believe that these were made up reports. It's not like the moon landings. ;) Plus anyone who does something stupid seems to feel the need to post it on Youtube for the whole world to see. It's not difficult to make a case against stupid.

I intend to comply with the regulations even though I only fly fixed wing aircraft at regulated fields away from the public. Fines are significant and if you are a conspiracy theorist posting on a forum such as this one you probably already know that the government has your name, address, and phone number anyway so what's the big deal?

As a member of AMA we are already required to place our AMA number in or on the aircraft for insurance purposes.

The part of these new regs/laws that I don't like is that I am now required to register and pay a fee to fly my multirotor or small foam airplane in my own back yard. The FAA states that the airspace above my property is part of the "National Airspace System", down to ground level. If you want to want to toss a tennis ball to your dog in your own yard, it is only allowed because the FAA allows the use of their "National Airspace System" for that purpose. Somehow, to have to pay the FAA to use my own property and backyard does not seem right to me.

Mike

Is the RSO obligated to see the registration number for an R/C model rocket?

Good question. Is an airport owner/operator required to look at the registration of your full scale aircraft before allowing you to take off? I don't know the answer to this.

My guess, in the model realm, is that it will come down to the liability issue.

Is the RSO obligated to see the registration number for an R/C model rocket?

The AMA says "no," and NAR and Tripoli never required RSOs to check for LEUPs. So, while we should wait for a comment from NAR, I'd say "no."

-- Roger

BTW, the AMA has filed a brief to block the FAA's interpretation of a part of the law Congress passed that lead to this. Congress specifically stated that the FAA was not to add any new regulations on hobby aircraft. The FAA interpreted this to mean that they can do whatever they want.

The FAA used the round-about logic that Congress used the word "aircraft" so "model aircraft" are subject to the same rules as real aircraft. This introduces some interesting conundrums. For example, while FAA guidelines require us to fly under 400 feet, their rules generally don't allow aircraft to fly lower than 500 feet.

Can you say "arbitrary and capricious?" I knew you could. :)

Other than going against the clear intent of Congress, I don't see what the FAA expects to accomplish with this.

In addition to challenging the FAA's bizarre interpretation of the law, the AMA is working with the FAA to either eliminate the registration requirements for AMA members (which may make the process legal) or let AMA members register their AMA numbers (which we already put on our aircraft).

"Unmanned rockets," are already seperated from "aircraft" regulations by FAR 101, so they aren't affected by any of this except, possibly, for R/C controlled gliders weighing more than two sticks of butter.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Well, I gave in and registered. After I did however, I forgot the exact guidelines for displaying the registration number. I recall some mention that you can write it on the battery cover, but does anyone remember what the guidelines are and how big the number has to be?

Well, I gave in and registered. After I did however, I forgot the exact guidelines for displaying the registration number. I recall some mention that you can write it on the battery cover, but does anyone remember what the guidelines are and how big the number has to be?

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/media/UAS_how_to_label_Infographic.pdf

BTW, the AMA is now recommending that members register through the FAA web site since their court case and negotiations probably won't be complete by the February deadline for registration. You have until 1/21 (this Thursday) to register and receive a refund of the $5 fee.

-- Roger

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/media/UAS_how_to_label_Infographic.pdf

BTW, the AMA is now recommending that members register through the FAA web site since their court case and negotiations probably won't be complete by the February deadline for registration. You have until 1/21 (this Thursday) to register and receive a refund of the $5 fee.

-- Roger

Awesome! Thanks Roger! Also good update about registering through the FAA. I just happened to pick up a FP drone on post-holiday clearance locally for under $70 (unbelievable that it even comes with a vid screen on the remote and it does work!) and given my tendency to often "get busted", I decided I best register so at least I can freely "enjoy the new toy". :)

I registered also.

There is no size requirement on the number. It simply must be clearly legible. It can be on the inside if the model is you can get to the number without using any tools, such as behind a magnetic or clip on hatch.

On my profile foam models, I am thinking about putting the number on the foam under the battery, next to the Velcro...;)
The silly FAA number is not going to be visible on the outside of any if my models if at all possible.

The mostly random numbers in the reg number are annoying. A co-worker did get a funny one....his ends with something very much like "pfhafft". We told him the FAA must be aware of what he is like after enchilada Thursday at work....;)

I too was surprised by the note about it being allowed inside the battery compartment (if it doesn't require a tool to open). I'm guessing this is for once the drone is found/incapacitated, they can possibly trace it back to the owner. I like that the image in the link Tom provided shows that choices #2 & #3 can be removable. I simply put a piece of clear tape (stationery/desk type) onto the front of the drone and wrote my number on it.

I might eventually order address labels with the number added as well, so in case I lose one of my RC craft, it has a chance to be returned and it's also registered...plus that would make labeling a lot quicker.

I noticed this in the requirements when I signed up today:

I will fly below 400 feet

Won't this put a damper on the competition rc glider folks, they must go above this altitude....Unless they are weighing less than 250 grams, I know the upper limit is 300 grams.

In our club we have a 400' limit anyway when the full scale glider guys are operating on the other side of the freeway from us.

Frank

Last edited:
I noticed this in the requirements when I signed up today:

I will fly below 400 feet

That's part of a guideline from the FAA. According to the AMA "the placement of this guideline on the FAA website is intended as an educational piece and more specifically intended for those operating outside of AMA's safety program." You can substitute the "NAR's safety program" when RC gliders are flown under NAR rules.

-- Roger

I too was surprised by the note about it being allowed inside the battery compartment (if it doesn't require a tool to open). I'm guessing this is for once the drone is found/incapacitated, they can possibly trace it back to the owner. I like that the image in the link Tom provided shows that choices #2 & #3 can be removable. I simply put a piece of clear tape (stationery/desk type) onto the front of the drone and wrote my number on it.

I might eventually order address labels with the number added as well, so in case I lose one of my RC craft, it has a chance to be returned and it's also registered...plus that would make labeling a lot quicker.

Despite many people claiming other darker reasons, the overwhelming reason for this silly registration is exactly what you said: to find the owner of a crashed "drone", especially any drone that crashes where it does not belong or when it has caused injury or property damage: crowds, dense urban areas, sporting events, large crowds, the Washington DC exclusion zone, other no fly zones, etc.

All other other "reasons" given by the FAA, such as educating users, are very minor in comparison to the main reason.

I thought is was so roving teams of underemployed air traffic controllers could come and confiscate our toys once the liberals or conservatives (not sure which are the bad guys this week) are in power.

I had been holding off until AMA said otherwise. So now I've registered. Below, I edited out my #.

UCxtVzD.png

Back