Postassium Nitrate-Sugar-Rubber Binder?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machiavelli

Reaction score
Is it possible to put the "rocket candy" mixture into a binder as you would do with, for example, an ammonium nitrate-magnesium-PBAN mixture?

Formulating your own motors is not a topic we discuss in an open forum. Formulating motors is relegated to a closed forum which requires you to be level 2 high power certified and a U.S. citizen. I don't make my own motors so I am not sure if this topic crosses the line on open discussions or not.

Mostly legality - with a hunk of safety thrown in for good measure. Making your own motors can be very dangerous if you don't know exactly what you are doing, and is illegal without the proper permits in most areas. Premade motors (Estes, Quest) have made the hobby hundreds of times safer. We don't discuss making motors here as that could be legally construed as aiding and abetting an illegal (making rocket motors without proper permits) activity. Besides, premade motors, ounce for ounce, provide more thrust and lift capacity than most all homemade motors.

Thanks, do you know where I can find info. about permits and other legalities in regards to building rocket motors? Appreciate all the help. :)

First off, whereabouts are you from? Just that will let us know a lot. Inside the US? Outside? If in the US, we can hook you up with a club more than likely. :)

Back