Question/ Note about old epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nute

Reaction score
So just a little bit ago, I was getting ready to glue a switch band on, and then do some fillets with my Rocketpoxy. It's old, from Wildman's black saturday sale, so right about 10 months, but notthat old,right? Anyway, as I was opening it, I realized it was almost empty, and just as I realized that, maybe 1/3 or 1/4 second after opening it, there was an incredibly powerful, almost but not quite burning sensation in my right nostril. It felt almost cold, numb maybe, a bit painful. As if I had just inhaled a wiff of something really nasty. Does anyone know what that could have been? I'm not exactly excited to finish up my Eagle Claw now, as I don't want to risk inhaling anymore of whatever that was. I seem to be fine now. I immediately dropped the epoxy container, and ran outside for some air. Does Rocketpoxy have a shelf life, and have I reached it? I'm fairly interested in chemistry, so if anyone can explain what was going on in that epoxy container, I'd appreciate it.

Nate

I'm still using the very first pint set of RocketPoxy I got from Tim. Last I checked it still smelled OK, but next time I'm home (Tuesday), I'll open it up and give it a whiff... I do have some rockets to glue up, so I'll mix up a bit and also report back.

Adrian

There was a thread on here not long ago about some older epoxy taking on an ammonia smell. I don't remember what brand was being discussed but you might want to search for that?

Howdy Carl!
Yep, I remember that thread. That's why I'll smell my epoxy... That doesn't sound right....
Anyhow, mine is one of the oldest batches. For those of you that have the smelly RocketPoxy, where do you keep it, and what temperature range is it? Mine mostly stays in the basement evil lair/workshop/rocket construction area which is low '70's in summer and high '60's in winter. DO you keep it out in a garage that gets really hot?

Adrian

Thanks for the responses, guys.
I keep mine in a basement that stays cool year round. Pretty cool in the winter, but it doesn't get hot in the summer. I'm not familiar with ammonia (I'd probably recognize it if I smelled it though), and I didn't stay around the epoxy long enough to identify the smell. For the record, I should have mentioned this before, it was actually just the darker hardener that smelled. The resin was fine, it was just the hardener that seemed off.

Nate

The fresh rocket poxy that I just got smells pretty foul compared to just about anything else out there. Propaganda sheet with it says it has a shelf life of about 1 1/2 years.

Remembered to check my epoxy today. The white part still smells sweet. The tan stuff, not so much... :puke: :puke:
Don't remember it being that bad the last time I used it. Guess a test mix is in order.

Adrian (there you go Jimcatz, no physics were used in the posting of this thread)

I used some old RocketPoxy about a month back on my Madcow 4" V2. Yes, hardener is moving from tan to caramel color and fairly rank. Seems to also be some shrinkage and is more stiff. Still mixed and cured fine.

So just a little bit ago, I was getting ready to glue a switch band on, and then do some fillets with my Rocketpoxy. It's old, from Wildman's black saturday sale, so right about 10 months, but notthat old,right? Anyway, as I was opening it, I realized it was almost empty, and just as I realized that, maybe 1/3 or 1/4 second after opening it, there was an incredibly powerful, almost but not quite burning sensation in my right nostril. It felt almost cold, numb maybe, a bit painful. As if I had just inhaled a wiff of something really nasty. Does anyone know what that could have been? I'm not exactly excited to finish up my Eagle Claw now, as I don't want to risk inhaling anymore of whatever that was. I seem to be fine now. I immediately dropped the epoxy container, and ran outside for some air. Does Rocketpoxy have a shelf life, and have I reached it? I'm fairly interested in chemistry, so if anyone can explain what was going on in that epoxy container, I'd appreciate it.

Nate

There was a thread on here not long ago about some older epoxy taking on an ammonia smell. I don't remember what brand was being discussed but you might want to search for that?

I used some old RocketPoxy about a month back on my Madcow 4" V2. Yes, hardener is moving from tan to caramel color and fairly rank. Seems to also be some shrinkage and is more stiff. Still mixed and cured fine.

So, a bit of thread from the dead here. I opened up my original pint set of Rocketpoxy today. Part A (the white stuff) was still white, although a bit stiffer than I remembered, and no evil odor emanating from within (not , at least that this old nose could smell)....
Opened up part B and burned all the nose hairs out of both sides of my nostrils. Smelled worse than a week old bag of cat pee (don't ask how I know that smell... :no: :no: ). Very strong ammonia, there was... The color was very close to caramel and the consistency was peanut butterish. After the top had been off for a minute, the ammonia smell was gone and it smelled like it used to (not unpleasant, a bit sweetish). So, I mixed up a batch. It will definitely be good for fillets now as the mix was quite stiff, but malleable. So, after it cures, I'll report back as to how it went. Keep in mind this was some of the very first pints Wildman sold, so it has some good age on it.

Adrian
After

So, a bit of thread from the dead here. I opened up my original pint set of Rocketpoxy today. Part A (the white stuff) was still white, although a bit stiffer than I remembered, and no evil odor emanating from within (not , at least that this old nose could smell)....
Opened up part B and burned all the nose hairs out of both sides of my nostrils. Smelled worse than a week old bag of cat pee (don't ask how I know that smell... :no: :no: ). Very strong ammonia, there was... The color was very close to caramel and the consistency was peanut butterish. After the top had been off for a minute, the ammonia smell was gone and it smelled like it used to (not unpleasant, a bit sweetish). So, I mixed up a batch. It will definitely be good for fillets now as the mix was quite stiff, but malleable. So, after it cures, I'll report back as to how it went. Keep in mind this was some of the very first pints Wildman sold, so it has some good age on it.

Adrian
After

I just finished and tossed my original large set of RocketPoxy from Wildman. It was at the "extra starch" stage. Definitely didn't flow and you had to basically shape the fillets. Saying that it seemed to cure fine. Broke open a new batch and what a difference! Almost poured like motor oil.

So just went down to my chilly basement, and the Rocketpoxy had cured pretty well. Should be OK to use still. I think I have a kit or two :wink: laying around I could try it on.

Adrian

I've had Rocketpoxy and Aeropoxy a few years old at the bottom of the cans,,
lids don't seal well anymore,, lumpy,, chunky,,
mix really well,, whip it up smooth,, and works fine.....

Teddy

I've had Rocketpoxy and Aeropoxy a few years old at the bottom of the cans,,
lids don't seal well anymore,, lumpy,, chunky,,
mix really well,, whip it up smooth,, and works fine.....

Teddy

Same here with Aeropoxy. I put the resin can in the sun or someplace warm until the crystals dissolve. Works just fine.

Back