eBay Deal of the day!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always get just a little nervous looking at these ridiculous ebay offers. In the back of my mind I worry about clicking on Buy it Now or accidentally making a bid. I know it takes much more than one click to make a bid, but I usually look, roll my eyes and then get off the page quickly so I don't do anything stupid.

Loved that kit! Not that much tho... ;-)

What you guys don't seem to be aware of is that that is actually cheaper than the last ended auction for the same model ($150+$9 shipping):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-Blac...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I know since I was watching that one. Always liked the Blackhawk (as well as the Buck Rogers white version), but I think NAR having a pic of it on their membership card this year increased interest in this long OOP kit. I guess I'll scratch build an upscale or wait for the hype to die down.

I have seen several in the last 90 days for under $50. Just wait.

Did no one else make the connection on the username? Mr Haney! Need I say anymore? For you young whippersnappers, Google "Green Acres".

Yes and he can not even guarantee all the parts and there and unbroken.

I have seen several in the last 90 days for under $50. Just wait.

No way! I've been looking, but don't recall seeing any for anywhere near that...more like around $80-$100 and that was probably last year.

Also good note about the condition...to be honest, I only took a quick look and just read New In Package in the title and didn't look further since I wasn't interested in buying. Still, I think it's an awesome looking rocket. :)

I get email every time they are posted. I received on in July for $42. I did not bid because shipping was 16.

I must have deleted the email. The 150 auction started at $18-19. Amazing. Estes needs to reproduce this kit.

I get email every time they are posted. I received on in July for $42. I did not bid because shipping was 16.

I must have deleted the email. The 150 auction started at $18-19. Amazing. Estes needs to reproduce this kit.

There are so many old rockets I want that I've given up signing up for emails and started looking at new auctions listed under "Rocketry". Additionally, the email notices often come a day later, so if there is a good BIN (Buy It Now), you may have missed out. Regardless, I actually signed up for emails on this yesterday before seeing your last post. LOL!
I'm an "Ebay rocket junkie"! :pc:

I will tell you the trick. I signed up for the "Estes Blackhawk" and "Estes 2053". I do not care about losing an auction to you. My wife will thank you.

I will tell you the trick. I signed up for the "Estes Blackhawk" and "Estes 2053". I do not care about losing an auction to you. My wife will thank you.

I'll one up you...I had it set for "Estes (black hawk, blackhawk, 2053)". :grin: However I may have had it in the Rocketry category...sometimes sellers mis-list and put it into general Toys or Models, so I may update.

No worries...it's all an open market anyway...besides, I don't bid more than I want to for an item and if someone else wins it, they wanted it more and I'm happy for them (my wife too). :wink:

I asked that question on that auction. Let's see his response.

I am a sucker for vintage OOP Estes Sci Fi. I am collecting my favorite kits from the 70's. So far I have had a good experience with several sellers. I purchase original kits in very good condition. I now own the Mars Lander in the box, Orbital Transport, Star Trek Enterprise and Klingon Battle Cruiser (original and 25th anniversary in the box) I'll keep the gems unopened in a cool dark place for now. I'll buy less expensive or clones to build and fly. The most I spent in a brutal competetive bid is $325. I outbid by $15. Guess which one? I am on the hunt for a 1273 USS Andromeda.

That's ebay and conspicuous consumption for you! :) When I was selling on Ebay, I couldn't believe the prices people were paying me for basically big boy toys (1/6th scale armored vehicles and high-end collector car models like Pocher). It was so crazy that I started actually feeling guilty for taking so much money (I started giving discounts out of guilt). You can't take it with you, so might as well enjoy it while you can, but make sure you can still pay the bills! :wink:

BTW - I've sold a Lego set for $800 and some large tank models for over $1000 each (one $1500), so $134 for a rocket model doesn't sound so bad. lol

Here's some other Ebay "Deals-of-the-day" (or I'll call "cool rockets, but just crazy prices"):

Estes Cruise Missile (starting bid at the bargain price of $99!): https://www.ebay.com/itm/HTF-Estes-CRUISE-MISSLE-Model-Rocket-1336-/201424398583?hash=item2ee5d468f7

Estes Tomcat: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-Rocket-Tomcat-Swing-Wing-Fighter-/201420768861?hash=item2ee59d065d
...currently $92 and one day left to bid, but bid quick because....

This one ended at $190 shipped!: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-2086...-MINT-Estes-/121724806330?hash=item1c575d24ba

Incidentally I have emailed searches for both of these. I'm wishing Estes will re-release them...my wish came true for the Mercury Redstone! :grin:

BTW - I'd forgotten the reason why the Tomcat and Cruise missile can go for so much on ebay...they have plastic parts which are very difficult to scratch build on your own (at least without the original parts to use as guides/templates/molds).

When I first got back into rocketry, I built a Estes Tomcat. I didn't know about all you forum guys and recommended ways of doing things. I put two coats of primer on that puppy and three coats of top coat. I've seen bricks fly better... :facepalm:
If I'd known they were gonna be this valuable, I would've left that bugger on the shelf. Also had someone else's power prang into my car at Bong the one time I used my mom's Suburban... :duck: :duck:

Adrian

When I first got back into rocketry, I built a Estes Tomcat. I didn't know about all you forum guys and recommended ways of doing things. I put two coats of primer on that puppy and three coats of top coat. I've seen bricks fly better... :facepalm:
If I'd known they were gonna be this valuable, I would've left that bugger on the shelf. Also had someone else's power prang into my car at Bong the one time I used my mom's Suburban... :duck: :duck:

Adrian

Believe it or not, stories like that often are a reason for the kits being collectible...they're cool looking and everyone wants one, but they are often pricey (at the time), don't perform well and get destroyed. Then the manufacturer stops making it due to complaints and viola...rare collectible. :p

Another variation of that is a cool kit that does perform well and everyone gets and plays the heck out of it. Then years later after it's been out of production for a long time, everyone wants it since they had such fond memories of it when they were younger. In both cases it's high demand and small supply = high prices.

Also don't kick yourself over it...hard to tell the future and it's usually better to try to enjoy the present. Launch rockets!! :grin:

Hey Chuck,

You were right about the Blackhawk being overpriced...a similar recent one (in better condition) ended at $76+shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/151800954728?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Also looking at the bidding for the one which ended at $150, it appears that the bidding got furious between two bidders just as it got above $76 (this does happen and all too often the bidders get into a competitive frenzy and end up paying more than the item normally goes for). Incidentally, it looks like the same bidder won both of these ended Blackhawk auctions...that person just really wanted them.

Back