The Many Faces of the MDRM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr G

Reaction score
The Estes PS II Mega Der Red Max is a kit that lends itself to modification. Following is one example of what can be simply done to give it a whole different look.

IMG_0447.jpgIMG_0800.jpg
Changing fin shape involved cutting at the outboard diagonal and then adding scrap balsa to make a strake.

IMG_1765.JPG
The completed airframe with a coat of hammered finish spray paint. Each case represents the smallest load for each of the certification levels. Anyone put an M motor in a MDRM!?! With some work, it would fit...:shock:

IMG_4349.jpgIMG_4358.jpg
Odds and ends added for external detail include pieces from a plastic model tank, decals from a free flight balsa model airplane, rivets cut from a sheet of craft paper, and black foam rubber strips to act as bumpers when landing on the concrete ramp at Moffett Field.

IMG_4325_2.jpg
First flight today on an AT single use G78G-4 with a nice green flame. Rod whip set the flight path off of vertical and landing ended up in the grass median. So we'll have to find another opportunity to see how the foam bumpers work.

Now it's your turn. Show off your modified MDRM and let's see how many different shapes and styles there are out there.

Last edited:
I got to see the steampunked hammered copper Max fly today at Moffett, and it flew great! I like the look, and the added details are great. The little foam bumpers are a good idea, and it will be interesting to see how well thy hold up over time on the unforgiving Moffett concrete. But if possible, I'd keep aiming for that grass!

Back