Good and cheap kitchen scale?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerbs4me

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good and cheap scale? I'm looking for one that has a tolerance of .1g.

I don't think you'll find a "kitchen scale" with that kind of accuracy. Most that I've seen have 1 gram as their smallest unit, but they don't even accurately measure single grams, more like 3 or 4 gram increments.

I've used this one and have no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012N1NAA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It was $10 - free shipping if you are Amazon Prime.

I have this scale, and I like it. My only issue is the size - it is REALLY small, the weighing plate is only is about a two and a half in square and you may find it difficult to balance some things on it. On the other hand, you can put it in your shirt pocket, and foret about it being there. My go-to scale is from harbor freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html . Same idea, but a much bigger platform to weigh things on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, though I said I don't have any complaints....I will point out that despite the fact the scale supposedly scales at 0.1g, I do recall the variance is +/- like 0.2g - so if accuracy is literally THAT important - you will need to spend more than $10, obviously.

Good and cheap kitchen scale?

Sure - OK - not always mutually exclusive...

For true repeatable accuracy down to a 1/10 of a gram you could spend closer to $100. For most rocketry uses this is not necessary.

I personally like the two scales available at Harbor Freight. They are Good (enough for most rocketry purposes) and Cheap. They have a $11 1000g max scale, and a $20 5000g max scale.

I usually bring a 5000g scale with me to the club launch so I can weigh my prepped rocket and mark the flight card before going to the RSO. (former Scout - I like to be prepared)

Thanks everyone! I'm using it to measure epoxy, Proline 4500 to be exact.

Ditto on the Harbor Freight balance (sorry - I'm a Lab Rat so correct terminology is a bit of a mania with me). It worlds very well and is quite portable (lid swings around to protect the balance).

I use the Harbor Freight 'tweeker' scale in the garage mostly for weighing epoxy to mix and can weigh some small components . Everything has cured so far so, even some micro-mixes of Proline 4500 (2.75g + 0.5g) so can recommend it.

It gets wiped out with epoxy drips and is kinda cheap to begin with..so cheap to replace is a help. Will start throwing in the rangebox to take to launch like the drill, very useful .

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-gram-digital-scale-60332.html

I use wifes 5lb food scale with the bigger weigh plate for 3 inch and bigger rockets and components..for the Dark Star 3 inch would weigh the bigger pieces seperately (lower AF, Payload, NC) and add together for an accurate THRUSTCURVE.org sim .

https://go.redirectingat.com/?id=42...isplay.php?12-The-Watering-Hole/page2&xtz=300

So, I got my scale and calibration weights today (thanks, amazon prime!) and so far, very impressed!

Cal. Weights Vs. Reading, as-shipped

1.0g = 1.0g
2.0g = 2.0g
20.0g = 20.0g
50.0g = 50.0g
500.0g = 499.5g

On the 500g, I'm not exactly sure how accurate the calibration weight is. These are cheap cal. weights, also purchased off Amazon. Perhaps sometime I'll find 500g of other "stuff", then add the 500g weight and see if it's still 0.5g off. Or, I might take the weight to work and try it on another balance.

At any rate, VERY satisfied considering the price. Again, good thread. Thanks, all!

The minimum digital error of a balance is +/- 1 count so 500.0 +/- 0.1 difference is not unexpected. Also the difference between the "mass" and the "scale reading" is no more than 1 part in 5000 or 0.02%. I'm not sure your calibration weight is that good, or the linearity of the ADC in the scale is that good.

Neither is worth worrying about. You got a good scale for less than $10.

Bob

The minimum digital error of a balance is +/- 1 count so 500.0 +/- 0.1 difference is not unexpected. Also the difference between the "mass" and the "scale reading" is no more than 1 part in 5000 or 0.02%. I'm not sure your calibration weight is that good, or the linearity of the ADC in the scale is that good.

Neither is worth worrying about. You got a good scale for less than $10.

Bob

1. you're correct

2. i'm just not used to things that affordable working quite that well. that's why i bought the calibration weights in the first place, because they were only another 15 bucks and I wasn't sure how far I could trust the scale.

Any recommendations for a good and cheap scale? I'm looking for one that has a tolerance of .1g.

I bought an Escali scale off of ebay many moons ago, and it has been great! Accuracy I am unsure of now, but I mainly use it for measuring epoxy components. I originally purchased the scale for making research motors. 6lb capacity or 3000g at 0.1.

IMG_0864_zpsghspntmq.jpg

IMG_0867_zpsvh8o8wnm.jpg

IMG_0877_zpsqvsblhuk.jpg

ebay is still loaded with Escali scales, but I did not find any like mine, which I have had for 11+ years now... I believe I originally paid $25 shipped off of ebay.

Back