Open Rocket Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottc99

Reaction score
I downloaded Open Rocket and took the included tutorial, but I can't seem to find the files for existing rockets. Do I need to create all rockets from scratch, or is there a database where I can bring in an existing rocket kit and do some simulations? In particular I am looking at using the LOC Fantom 438 EXL or Madcow Super DX3 to get my Level 1 Cert.

If someone could point me in the direction of where to get those files and how to go about loading them into Open Rocket, that would be great.

Thanks.

Scott

You can download the Rocksim files for a bunch of rockets from https://www.rocketreviews.com/. Save them to a specific folder, and open them with Open Rocket. Then you can save them as ORK files native to Open Rocket.

I'm not sure of any that are installed with it. I use both, so have always had a folder with rocket designs in it that I use for both on my Google Drive.

Welcome to the forum Scott. The Rocket Reviews site is a great place to look for sim files. As you may know, Rocksim is the commercial product marketed by Apogee Rockets. As an established standard, the Open Rocket developers supported that programs file format. As far as the DX3 is concerned, Madcow provides a sim file on their product page: https://www.madcowrocketry.com/4-super-dx3/ (click the Product Description)

Last edited:
Ok, I haven't created sims of the rockets you're working on, but I can answer one question.

Once you've downloaded a .rkt file, you'll need to open OpenRocket, then using the File -> Open menus you can then open the file you're wishing to work on/view.

Keep in mind that many .ork/.rkt files are not canon. Fin thicknesses are off, shapes are wrong (especially nosecones) lengths of parts are wrong, materials may be all made of "cardboard", etc., etc...

I've got a few Stock .ork files for what I'm working on, a few tutorials for helping others, a parts library, and a nosecone library. My later work is much better than my earlier work (I've now got a digital caliper to help with my measurements, and I've learned a lot of new tricks in OR for simplifying things (or producing better sims). So, I'm looking to update and correct things as I can.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Last edited:
Back