OPEN ROCKET NOT WORKING

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marintse

Reaction score
All of a sudden all of my Open Rocket simulations are giving altitudes about a third of what they were giving the last time I used it. WHAT HAPPENED?

Attached is just one example of where the same motor gives altitudes (and other errors) that are about 1/3 below previous flights. I just noticed this when comparing a Rocksim built that reached 1200 ft an the same rocket about 400 ft on Open Rocket!!

Attachments

• ROCKETRY - (2020) - ORK BT-70 Prototype.ork
    224.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
All of a sudden all of my Open Rocket simulations are giving altitudes about a third of what they were giving the last time I used it. WHAT HAPPENED?
Please think about whether you have provided sufficient information for anyone to help with your problem.

In addition to posting the ORK file, please let us know what version of OR you're running. Have you recently upgraded?

Please think about whether you have provided sufficient information for anyone to help with your problem.

In addition to posting the ORK file, please let us know what version of OR you're running. Have you recently upgraded?
Using latest version.

Attached is just one example of where the same motor gives altitudes (and other errors) that are about 1/3 below previous flights. I just noticed this when comparing a Rocksim built that reached 1200 ft an the same rocket about 400 ft on Open Rocket!!
The attached file is showing 900-1100 feet depending on E vs F motor.

I converted it to a single stage (which it should have been in the first place); these are the results I'm seeing:
1697657570379.png

All these numbers look fine. What's the problem exactly?

Last edited:
Look at the altitudes of the E30-7 motor. The low altitude is the problem I've been having

You continue to be very non-specific in your answers, which is making it harder for us to help.

In any case, the E30 numbers look fine, except for the last one, which is due to wacky sim parameters: 12 inch launch rod at 45 degrees.
1697657728271.png

I was expecting 936 ft. All of my rockets TODAY when relaunched with the same motor are NOW showing very low altitudes compared to a few days ago. I discovered this problem today when a reasonable 1200 ft altitude on Rocksim ot 400 ft on Open Rocket. The are usually very similar.

So you're saying that running the EXACT ork file you posted in the first message, you're getting 400 feet?

We're not seeing those numbers (see neil's screenshot above).

You continue to be very non-specific in your answers, which is making it harder for us to help.

In any case, the E30 numbers look fine, except for the last one, which is due to wacky sim parameters: 12 inch launch rod at 45 degrees.
View attachment 610367

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SOOOOOOOO SORRY!!!!!!

I HAD SET THE ANGLE TO 45 DEGREES A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO TO SIMULATE A COMPRESSEWD AIR ROCKET FOR A FRIEND ----- AND NEGLECTED TO RESET THE LAUNCH CONDITIONS!!!!!

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO WERE SO PATIENT AND DILIGENT!!!!!!!

Looking at your ORK file - a tip for you: Your visual of the design will be a little more comprehensible to you and others if you choose a "Mass type" in the General tab of your mass components which is close to the type of mass you're including. (Here I've picked Flight Computer instead of Altimeter for the altimeter b/c the icon for Altimeter isn't very clear).

1697659112635.png

Back