State of the forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I just say that I wonder what you all are talking about? This is one of the most polite, troll-free forums I've ever seen. Sure, there are always a few jerks...and every now and then somebody gets a little worked up over a topic they care about. But it's not exactly an outlaw biker fight.

Last edited:
I have to say that I agree with you here...

The threads that were locked/deleted left me shaking my head...

Did not look anything like a biker fight, passionate yes, but not to the level of pulling the plug...

In this day and age of "celebrating diversity" and all, where is the tolerance?

I've been a Rocketry Forum member for just over 2 years, so I don't know what things 'used to be like' here. All I can say is that in my short time here as a BAR, this forum and the people on it have been an incredible asset. So much so that I did not hesitate to donate to the forum. My skills and understanding in rocketry are nothing great compared to the wealth of experience here, but I am miles ahead of where I would be without this resource. Yes, you see some less than considerate/constructive responses and the occasional 'pissing match'. I'm in sales, and I interact constantly with all types of people as customers and colleagues. There are a lot of people out there who don't have very good self awareness and poor 'emotional intelligence'. I always tell my 3 kids (usually after I break up an argument between a couple of them), be responsible for yourself. You can not control other people, but you can control yourself and how you react.

I love this forum and I choose to take all of the positive from it. Yes, my real name is 'Kendal'. If you run across me at a launch here in Colorado, say 'hi' and let's launch some rockets.

Oh, and just so you know my optimism is tempered with reality, right now the weather sucks for rocketry here.

Sometimes, I get angry with something I read here. I type up a reply and then think hard before I post it. I try to ask myself: "Who will benefit from this post?" If the answer is anywhere from nobody to just me, then I make an effort to resist posting. Sometimes, I let them go. I usually regret it. Once it's out there though, I debate about editing the post.

Anyway, I want to be active in rocketry again after an absence. The only way that I can see to do it is to be positive and to help people.

Boy, I remember when it got really nuts on rec.models.rockets Wow. There was a gong show.

Wow!

Ok, I've not been terribly active on the forum for perhaps 12 months - just pop in from time to time and have a bit of a read.

During my absence from the forum, I had people check in, just to make sure I was tracking ok. (Health & life issues have kept me away from rockets for near on 2 years now, but slowly, things are returning to normal)

From my perspective, though, I'm 100% in the 'best rocketry forum' camp. I've been a member since 2009 - but most active over the last couple of years.

This place is a powerhouse of knowledge and wisdom that's dispensed more freely than beer at an open bar. Sure, you're always going to get differences of opinions - but the one thing that seems to hold true in rocketry is the lack of competition. There are no prizes for coming first and no glory in hoarding information.

Ok, perhaps there are prizes for coming first - but in all seriousness, this is a hobby where we can have fun both though our own endeavors and vicariously through those endeavors that others share; This forums greatest strength really is the sharing and discussion of thoughts and ideas.

I would be disappointed if that was to change.

Krusty

you messed up. Someone pointed it out. I don't see the big deal. Yea, you fix it, everyone e knows you will.

I don't see why customers are under some obligation to keep screw ups a secret...and that attitude prevails here, and that's BS. Yes, we all screw up. But why fight so hard to hide it?

If you ant to present a image of perfection, be perfect. If you're not perfect, that's ok. Just don't get mad people don't hide it.

That's a different thread.
But I will address it here for you.
I never asked to hide anything. If I mess up I will be glad to take care of it always have always will.

I just don't want it to ruin a build thread . That is what happened.
And I take it kind of personal when some says I am don't care about my work.

Yea, that should be in its own thread.

That's a different thread.
But I will address it here for you.
I never asked to hide anything. If I mess up I will be glad to take care of it always have always will.

I just don't want it to ruin a build thread . That is what happened.
And I take it kind of personal when some says I am don't care about my work.

I'm glad you took my advice and posted a recall thread. That will get you brownie points.

Glad I could help. Seriously, good move. Maybe I'm not everything wrong with the forum?

Last edited:
I have to say that I agree with you here...

The threads that were locked/deleted left me shaking my head...

Did not look anything like a biker fight, passionate yes, but not to the level of pulling the plug...

In this day and age of "celebrating diversity" and all, where is the tolerance?

Zero Tolerance is the current policy in vogue, from the school district to city hall and beyond. Just look around, it permeates everything.

Years ago I traveled through Oklahoma and noticed big, white billboards along the way which warned travelers about the various speed limits including the stern warning, "No Tolerance". Maybe they should drop "The Sooner State" for "Welcome to Oklahoma, the Intolerable State!" Has a nice ring to it, don't ya think?

...Zero Tolerance is the current policy in vogue, from the school district to city hall and beyond. Just look around, it permeates everything...

It's called "conditioning", I for one, will never submit to it...

As for Oklahoma, I thought everything was O K in Oklahoma...

Tim, don't let the inconsiderates get you down...you & Jackie are awesome people who changed the hobby for everyone's benefit. Keep doing what you've been so good at--many more appreciate it than don't.

Tim, don't let the inconsiderates get you down...you & Jackie are awesome people who changed the hobby for everyone's benefit. Keep doing what you've been so good at--many more appreciate it than don't.

:cheers:

you messed up. Someone pointed it out. I don't see the big deal. Yea, you fix it, everyone e knows you will.
I don't see why customers are under some obligation to keep screw ups a secret...and that attitude prevails here, and that's BS. Yes, we all screw up. But why fight so hard to hide it?
If you ant to present a image of perfection, be perfect. If you're not perfect, that's ok. Just don't get mad people don't hide it.

Firstly - I don't think it's just this most recent thread - I'm reminded of a thread back in December where someone posted about having received a nice upgrade to aluminum bulk plates and a couple of folk rushed in to S**T all over how aluminum was completely unnecessary etc etc. Back then I was reminded of the adage "No good deed goes unpunished" - several people here are far too quick to piss in another persons cheerios.

Secondly, I agree with Tim in the V2 thread - if you have a problem with a kit the first thing you do is call the vendor, explain (calmly and politely) that there's an issue and see what happens. If you act like a sane human being and then have a bad experience, sure, come put out a note here to warn others but at least let the poor guy supplying you make it right first and then if you really feel like you have to you can then come here and say - "Hey guys, I had a problem and XXXX fixed it - so if you see the same, rest assured they'll take care of you." To post here first is rude and inconsiderate to the folk trying to make a living helping us fly rockets.

HTML:
1. Products of which you have no financial/ownership stake in the company that makes/sells it
 2. Companies in the industry.

Our vendors are the lifeblood of our hobby -- without them, we have no products to enjoy. As such, TRF's management has established the following policy in an effort to make sure that vendors are treated fairly, while at the same time, allowing members to express legitimate concerns.

1) Before posting, you are expected to have contacted the vendor, and given them at least a week to respond and resolve the issue. Be fair, and give them an honest chance to fix the issue. Be reasonable in your expectations. Provide a date on which you initiated contact, and how you did so. Trying several contact methods is highly encouraged -- be fair.

2) If the vendor has offered you an equivalent replacement (exchange product, refund, etc), then the issue is resolved. Don't post about it, unless your objective is to post something positive, and the initial issue is needed to explain the resolution.

3) Stick to the facts. Leave the emotion and opinions out of it. A post made in a fit of anger isn't constructive, for anyone involved.

4) If the vendor later comes back and resolves the problem (see #2), be fair and post a followup indicating that the problem has been resolved.

5) If you are not directly involved in the transaction, stay out of it. The exception is those offering possible constructive routes to resolution. Posts by those not directly involved, which are not offering ideas on resolution, or asking for clarification of the issue, will be removed. Repeat violators will receive infractions. Being a "long time friend" of either party doesn't mean you're involved. Posting "on someone's behalf" isn't acceptable, either. If someone has a reason they can't post to the forum, they need to contact a staff member, not a forum member.

6) Post only things that are current. No dredging up the past. Don't air dirty laundry.

7) Follow the spirit of the rules, not the letter. Any posts that, in the staff's opinion, violate this, will be removed. Tone matters -- the tone with which your post is written will affect how it is viewed when it is being evaluated.

8) If the staff removes a post complaining about a member, do not repost it -- doing so will result in an infraction. This also means that you can't go back and reword it later. If it's important enough to post, then it's important enough to take the time to post in a useful way.

9) Vendor issues will be put into a single thread per Vendor to keep this forum efficient. Please source the thread about the Vendor, if you cannot locate one, then please start one.
It must just be me. Sorry to have bothered you all.

Last edited:
Tim,

I edited your build thread. Maybe not the way you would have liked but I did the best I could. As near as I can figure, I did that in less than 48 hours from your request. In that time we were also dealing with issues on the forum that were a much bigger deal than yours. I had to ask the other mods what your issue was because the post you were complaining about seemed to be generally in order. To me, it seemed as if you were all having a decent chat about V2 kits. Since you did not explain what rules you thought were broken and that there was some significant difference between a V2 and V2 Sport, we had to take the time to guess what you wanted us to do. All this while we were dealing with other issues that make this look pretty tame. And while you are complaining that we aren't moderating enough, other folks are complaining that we are moderating too much. Oh, and for the record, this is Saturday. I (and the rest of the mods and admins) have a regular job. I work six days a week doing something besides this. If you had a customer ask for help and then went on TRF and started complaining that you hadn't done anything in 24 hours you would think that was unfair. I would hope you would give us the same courtesy. Maybe when you point out that the behavior of "certain people" is driving away our moderators you might want to be careful that you don't become one of them.

Tim,

I edited your build thread. Maybe not the way you would have liked but I did the best I could. As near as I can figure, I did that in less than 48 hours from your request. In that time we were also dealing with issues on the forum that were a much bigger deal than yours. I had to ask the other mods what your issue was because the post you were complaining about seemed to be generally in order. To me, it seemed as if you were all having a decent chat about V2 kits. Since you did not explain what rules you thought were broken and that there was some significant difference between a V2 and V2 Sport, we had to take the time to guess what you wanted us to do. All this while we were dealing with other issues that make this look pretty tame. And while you are complaining that we aren't moderating enough, other folks are complaining that we are moderating too much. Oh, and for the record, this is Saturday. I (and the rest of the mods and admins) have a regular job. I work six days a week doing something besides this. If you had a customer ask for help and then went on TRF and started complaining that you hadn't done anything in 24 hours you would think that was unfair. I would hope you would give us the same courtesy. Maybe when you point out that the behavior of "certain people" is driving away our moderators you might want to be careful that you don't become one of them.

See you all at LDRS.

Good vendors should:
1) do their best not to make mistakes,
2) respond quickly without lame excuses,
3) not start threads whining about the forum.

I think this place is great, I usually can pick out the very few gripe threads and avoid them, I have even stared a few. For the amount of alpha male egos on TRF I think we do pretty good, and the Mods do a great job keeping this place orderly and civil. Still human they are, so some slack we should offer them! Sometimes you have to pick the weeds from the garden, they may miss a few or pull a few good plants but all in all its a great place to be.

I know the advertising has gotten some undies in a bind, but you have to pay for it somehow!? NOTHING IS FREE!

I love TRF, great place to hang.

TA

There has been a lot of discussion about "The Rules" lately, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I can find where they are posted on this site without searching through the old posts by notable others who frequently cite them. I PM'd the Admin but as of this writing he has not responded. Maybe it's right in front of my nose but I can't find it. Has someone rearranged the display case or what?

Thanks for the link but that is not the rules I was searching for. So I went back and did some more searching and found them here https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?13110-Rules-and-Guidelines
(I've also bookmarked these so I can find them without an extensive search.)

Thanks Zeb! :grin:

BTW, the "rules" are located at the bottom of page 14 of the Rules and Guidelines page for our convenience.

Last edited:
I have sent multiple PM's asking that to be stickied.... :( Still no result.

Hi everyone,

It appears that it was my post that got Tim so upset so I am here to make things right and move on. Tim I am very sorry that things I said were interpreted as digs or attacks on your integrity or your ability. I am not a jerk. I am not an idiot. I do not call people names. I do not make personal attacks on people in forums. I do sometimes try to make a point with colorful language or phrase things with sarcasm and that doesn’t always go well in a text only conversation, so my bad for those cases. If you read no further know that my intentions were good even if some of my words were bad. I consider you the best vendor that I have ever dealt with and I see dozens of people on the forums that think the same way. Although my judgement may have been wrong on posting what I did, my intention was to help others that had the kit and help prevent Tim from having to replace more than just the tailcones if people proceeded with assembly before hearing about the slot issue.

Tim, I am particularly stunned by your response as I have been your loyal customer since your days in the basement of Al’s Hobbies, more than 10 years ago. In those days I bought dozens of kits and hundreds of parts from you while getting into mid and a little high power rocketry for a few years before being diagnosed with a life threatening illness that lead to 20 hospital stays and 4 surgeries over the next 5 years and obviously put an end to expensive and time consuming hobbies like rocketry. After being back on my feet for a couple years now, I really missed rocketry and was happy to see that the hobby was surviving and that the Wildman was thriving and innovating and was one of the top vendors in the country. Local boy made good! So last year I started to study the new techniques and buy some of these new (to me) all FG kits and of course I brought you my business and even convinced my wife and 2 kids to go to MWP12 and launch a couple rockets. I’ve always treated you with respect, followed your advice and thought of you as someone who I would like to get to know better as I get more time and money to come to launches and fly more rockets. I admire your tireless efforts to innovate with things like thin wall FG, Head End Deployment, custom motor retention included in kits and many more things I haven’t discovered yet.

So now some background on the post that I wish I had never sent. Being a novice around here I come to TRF to learn, learn, and learn and whenever a topic that I know something about comes up, to help others. Something I know a bit about is Rocksim, I actually passed the time in the hospital by designing and building crazy rockets in Rocksim and playing games with my son where we would compete building virtual rockets to see who could make the coolest looking, highest performing, most complicated etcetera.

And then last week 2 things happened. I got my Black Saturday Sale order including the Punisher, the Saab, and the V2 2.6 and started looking for build threads on TRF. I found Willie’s thread where he was asking for some help working out the CG and CP of the V2 2.6, because he only had Open Rocket and OR can’t handle accurately simulating fins on curved boattails. No problem for Rocksim so I volunteered to help by putting together a V2 2.6 file. So a couple days later I got the kids in bed by 9:30 and jumped on the computer to build the V2 2.6 Rocksim file, and started by weighing all of the kit parts one by one and worked on the file for a while. After posting the results for Willie I was admiring the kit again and tried sliding a couple fins into the tailcone slots and thought ‘Crap, these slots are a few degrees off’. My first thought was I just got a bad part, it happens, and I’ve got nothing to worry about, I know Tim will make it right because I’ve been buying kits and parts from him for 10 years and have never had a problem with his quality or his customer service. I looked at the clock, it was after 11pm and there is no way I’m gonna call a vendor at 11pm to let them know I got a bad part, I’ll give him a call in the next day or two and he will send me a new tailcone and he will probably appreciate finding out about it so he can double check his tooling before fabricating any more parts. It never crossed my mind to post anything on TRF because I thought there was one bad tailcone, I was the guy who happened to get it, and there was no reason to talk to anybody but Tim about it.

And then I saw Willies posts. He was posting in the V2 Sport build thread, an honest mistake, no big deal to me, but he was talking about the bad fin slots and posting picture after picture, showing it from every angle, looking for some affirmation that he wasn’t crazy, with a ‘are these slots really that far off?’ kind of tone.(All of his posts about this have since been deleted, but they were there for days and they are what I responded to) So now my mindset changed from ‘I’m the only one that got a bad tailcone’ to ‘someone else got the exact same bad tailcone as I did so there might have been a problem with all the slots cut in this initial run of kits. I felt like I had some valuable info to add to the discussion, and maybe I should post, but I still felt kind of uneasy about posting before talking to Tim. But it was the middle of the night and I couldn’t talk to Tim first, but I could maybe prevent someone else from starting to assemble their kit.

So Willie’s posts about the slots had been sitting there in the wrong thread for a few days, no one had criticized him for posting about a problem in a kit, no one had told him he was in the wrong thread, Tim had not posted anything to try to explain or warn others about the situation, and no one else had posted that they also had bad slots in the V2 2.6 kit. Willie had posted that Tim responded quickly in sending him a new tailcone, and others had posted saying that Tim was always great about taking care of problems. But it still was looking like an isolated incident, that Willie had gotten the only bad tailcone, and that is when I decided I should post to let everyone know that I got the exact same bad slots as Willie, so the problem was potentially in all of the initial run of kits, so if I posted I might prompt others to check their slots before starting assembly to try to prevent people needing more than the tailcones replaced. If others started assembly, then the motor mount, the centering ring, the motor retainer, and the 4 fins would all need to be replaced if they had been epoxied together before noticing the bad slots. I could actually be helping Tim if I posted about this being a widespread issue, and because I really like Tim I wanted to do that.

Now the only place it would make sense for me to post about this is in the same wrong place that Willie had posted because I was responding directly to him about the specific issue he was talking about. I always find it frustrating when someone posts in some new thread and refers to comments made in some other thread because it is confusing to try to go find the other thread and follow a conversation. To me my post would only help others be being a direct response to Willie’s posts about the slots. After all it’s the moderators job to move posts that are in the wrong thread, I don’t have the power to move posts so this is where I have to post to make it a response to Willie’s posts about his slots. And his posts had been there for days without anyone saying they should be moved or any mods moving them.

So I posted. I mentioned my confidence that Tim would make it right, just like everyone else had. I mentioned that I knew that cutting slots in curved boat tails was extremely hard to get perfect as a way of saying ‘we get it man, we understand that you were a little off in one of the hardest cuts there is’, the problem wasn’t that you made some bad cuts, it was that you didn’t notice the bad cuts before the kits got sent out. When I said that I had successfully made cuts like this I wasn’t trying to say I did better work than Tim (duh!), I was trying to show some understanding and compassion for how hard it was and I really should have mentioned the 5 or 6 tailcones that I had ruined while learning how to do it. Since I am the novice and Tim is the professional it never occurred to me that this comment would sound like a dig at Tim, that was not my intention and I am sorry for phrasing it the way I did.

And finally, I want to thank those that have supported me by saying that they didn’t see any problem in my post and that they saw I hadn’t started the topic, and that I was trying to add valuable info to the discussion.

Now I'm going to get back to spending my time here talking about building rockets, talking about flying rockets, helping each other out with build threads, tips, sims, and advice and enjoying our common interests. See ya in the forum.

Thanks for the link but that is not the rules I was searching for. So I went back and did some more searching and found them here https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?13110-Rules-and-Guidelines

I post the rules so often since so many either apparently do not know them or keep acting like they to not exist.

But the thing is, the LINK for the source of the rules has always been the FIRST WORDS OF TEXT posted, right below the Jpeg.

It is pretty ironic that you could not find the link to the rules, when it's been right there every time that I've posted that reminder.

Speaking of which….

- George Gassaway

DBBj5jw.jpg

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?13110-Rules-and-Guidelines

Rules and Guidelines
Welcome to The Rocketry Forum (TRF)!

1. The goal of TRF is to provide an environment where everyone can kick back, relax, and be comfortable. To that end, certain topics are off-limits -- politics, sex, and religion. Obviously, politics will enter into a lot of discussions, in some regards, especially when discussing such rocketry-related topics as regulations that impact the hobby or human space flight. In addition, many holiday greetings, by their nature, have a religious aspect to them. These are acceptable.

2. In terms of language, images and any other communication, think in terms of what is acceptable in the typical High School. If it's appropriate in that environment, it's appropriate here. Derogatory mis-statement of user or company names are the exception, and are not acceptable.

3. Posts encouraging or supporting illegal activities are to be avoided. This doesn't mean you cannot discuss the trouble someone got into by violating the law. What it does mean is that promoting or encouraging illegal behavior is not acceptable.

4. Software and video piracy links are expressly forbidden, as is harassment, in any form.This includes any harassment based on gender, religion, nationality, ethnicity, etc.

5. Because rocketry is an international hobby, and there are numerous rocketry organizations, TRF does not follow the rules of any single organizaton. Instead, we encourage you, the TRF member, to join and support the rocketry hobby organization that best fits you as an individual, and to follow that organizations rules.

6. Research Rocketry (making your own motors, igniters, etc) is a special topic, the specific details of which are not to be discussed except in any area specifically designated for such topics. This includes propellant and igniter compositions, specific product recommendations, and techniques for processing propellant. Posts on the topic of Research Rocketry containing information not widely available in published materials are limited to the access controlled area.

7. To help support these rules, and keep the forum a friendly environment, TRF has a volunteer staff. These individuals will remove or edit messages, as necessary, to maintain the friendly environment.

8. Rules violations will be dealt with based on severity. A severe infraction, such as posting a pornographic picture, or posting spam, will result in an immediate ban from the forums. A more typical violation, such as posting a propellant formula in an inappropriate location, will result in the issuance of an infraction.

9. Infractions will be kept "on your permanent record" for a period of one year from the date they are issued. Yes, we realize that means they're not so permanent, and that's a good thing -- we all make mistakes. We're human.

10. Any user with three infractions on their record will be banned from the forum for a period of time. The duration of the ban will be determined based on the severity of the infractions, as well as past behavior. A ban may last as little as a week, or as long as the lifetime of the forum.

11. In addition, while there may be private areas within the forums, as well as the ability to send private messages, out of public site does not mean out of coverage of the rules. Any message created via the forum must follow these rules -- this includes public and private messages, as well as emails sent to users.

12. All rules apply equally to all areas of the site, including user signatures. In addition, user signatures that are disruptive to the flow of threads (flashing images, excessive colored text, etc) are not allowed. User signatures are not allowed to use anything other than standard font sizes. Signatures found out of compliance are subject to edit, or removal, by the forum staff.

13. Finally, on rare occasions, the forum management may deem it in the best interest of the forum community to put a user onto moderated status, or to outright ban them. These actions may be temporary, or may be permanent, based on behavior and the willingness of the user to modify their behavior. Such actions will not be unilateral, but will be based on forum staff receiving sufficient complaints from the user community as to be determined detrimental to the community.

14. Proving Godwin's Law in a thread will result in the entire thread being yanked. Immediately. Users who cause this to come into play (as determined by the staff) will be subject to infractions and/or banishment, at the staff's discretion, based on the context.

15. Discussion of flights which, in the opinion of the forum staff, are a violation of the NAR or Tripoli Safety Codes are not allowed, and may cause the offending users to be banned permanently.

16. Complaints about vendors, or their service, is governed by the Vendor Complaints Policy.

17. The Yard Sale is the place for posts about items that individuals have for sale, or are interested in buying. Regarding comments about sellers, If you are not involved in a transaction with the seller or do not have current experience (last 6 months) with that seller, stay out of the conversation. Violation of this will result in infractions being issued.

Once again, remember that these rules are meant to be adhered to by the SPIRIT of the rules, not by the LETTER of them.
Last edited by troj; 1st November 2013 at 09:39 AM.

Back