clear coat help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertrand

Reaction score
I'm new to model rocketry and I want to put a clear coat on my most recent build. I've been looking at different products and I am confused.

1. Looked for Futur but it seems to go by the name Pledge Floor Care. Almost bought a product today called Pledge Floor Care, but it was labeled as a cleaner so I didn't buy. What's the right product?

2. Looked at a polyurethane product by Minwax as an alternative. It was indicated for wood floors so I passed. Would that work?

3. Also looked at an epoxy product, but again, wasn't sure it would work.

What I'm wanting is a clear coat product I can paint on with a foam brush. All help is appreciated.

I'm new to model rocketry and I want to put a clear coat on my most recent build. I've been looking at different products and I am confused.

1. Looked for Futur but it seems to go by the name Pledge Floor Care. Almost bought a product today called Pledge Floor Care, but it was labeled as a cleaner so I didn't buy. What's the right product?

2. Looked at a polyurethane product by Minwax as an alternative. It was indicated for wood floors so I passed. Would that work?

3. Also looked at an epoxy product, but again, wasn't sure it would work.

What I'm wanting is a clear coat product I can paint on with a foam brush. All help is appreciated.

You did the right thing skipping the cleaner. I have one rocket that is very CLEAN, but it wasn't shiny until I found the right product.

Product labels and names are constantly changing, so it is a real pain for anyone trying to buy the same thing over time. Currently I think the product is Pledge Floor Care FINISH. It may include the terms Multi Surface. It may say something like Shine Protect Restore. The key thing is that it is not a cleaner, and the function is to shine and protect. Generally, the cleaners come in a white bottle, and the stuff you want is in the clear bottle. Not all stores that have the cleaner carry the finish product. The last time I bought it, I found it at Walmart.

It should look something like this: https://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/floor-care-finish.aspx

I found some of the Pledge Floor Finish at HEB. Goes on quick and super easy.

I use Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel.

It's hard, glossy, and heavy so probably not great for LPR but for MPR and HPR it rocks. Rocket gets dirty and I just wipe it down with a rag or Windex

You should be looking for (Pledge with Future for Tile Floors). The stuff works Great, either airbrushed, or brushed on. I use a piece of a 1" foam brush to apply future to all my model rockets Up to BT-80. This product is a much better choice for really protecting you model finish and decals as it can be re-applied at anytime without build up.

Another better then Rattle can clear coats is a simple application of Nu-Finish polymer (its not a wax) will protect decals without the worry from brittle clear damage taking part of the decals and paint with it.

If you take nothing from this post PLEASE remember this:
ALL rattle can clear coats become very brittle with limited exposure to UV. The VAST majority of Rattle can clear coat contain 0% UV inhibitor. There are a Few new Very Good UV resistant Clears now however even those (Krylon Glose UV resistant Clear) still become brittle over time as the Paint does not contain the platlets contained in colored paints that interconnect during drying creating the dry paint film. Because these platlets do not exist the clear coat will be damaged causing cracks and flake from handling and normal flying.

Last edited:
You should be looking for (Pledge with Future for Tile Floors). The stuff works Great...

After some research, I have found that the product sells as Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish. It is the same as Pledge with Future, but they've dropped the Future name.

After some research, I have found that the product sells as Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish. It is the same as Pledge with Future, but they've dropped the Future name.

Yep. The latest packaging doesn't mention Future at all. How about pictures of the rocket(s) you used this stuff on bertrand ?

thank you! It was a fun build. Learned a lot in the process. I had a lot of trouble with the fins. I couldn't get one of them to attach, and when I finally did it was a touch misaligned. I want to build a newways Lune R-4 next.

Back