Best General Purpose Motors - is there such a thing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget the thousands of cases out there that would become obsolete....unless re-loads were continued to be made for both & that would defeat the purpose.

If one takes the time to learn how to use these properly, there are no more issues than any other stuff out there being used.
A tiny bit of grease rubbed on liner will make it slide in easier.
Never force the re-load in by nozzle. Push load in first, if there is too much resistance use a spacer to seat the re-load.
Screw in nozzle carefully, Do not cross thread.

If any problems ASK some one to help. No point in risking a rocket.

There will always be instances of bad liners,casting tubes etc. all manufacturers go through that from time to time. They are at the mercy of their suppliers.

Thanks, that's how I thought the safest build method worked. I've only flown 3 38mm loads so far but I put the reload in without the nozzle, then gently thread the nozzle/closure in.

SP_2870_model_EMD_GP9_locomotive_picture-1024x651.jpg

Ops! Wrong Hobby.
LOL! Is that the booster or sustainer?

This is too easy, here one I added details, mod and paint ( HO scale)

gp_zps38b237bd.jpg

Last edited:
Whats wrong with that hobby?
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com

There is nothing wrong with “That hobby” I’m heavily invested in model railroading so when the OP asked about the best “General Purpose” motor I naturally posted a picture of an EMD Gp-9 a “General Purpose-9” locomotive.

The correct answer but to the wrong hobby.

Imax? The stuff with the sickly looking smoke and flame?

You mean the awesome cloud of brown awesome and the magic color changing blue-green-yellow flame of power?

Clearly you haven't flown a big Imax (the more grains, the better, appearance wise).

You mean the awesome cloud of brown awesome and the magic color changing blue-green-yellow flame of power?

Clearly you haven't flown a big Imax (the more grains, the better, appearance wise).

Imax rocks. This is the little 6G 29mm I204, which is surprisingly powerful for 29mm.
CIMG1836.JPG

Saw it enough I just sold my pro38 gear to pickup Loki. Which has the benefit of no hazmat for most 38 H/I loads. I know this isn't supposed to be a bash thread, but the 38 design is so bad CTI dumped it in the other case sizes and used closures.

my advice, remove the nozzle, seat the liner with a spacer, and CAREFULLY thread it in last, and once.

I really wish CTI would re design the closure system for 38 and replace it with a normal closure like the rest of the line. I usually pop the nozzle off and thread it in separately like you said, and I like to build reloads the day before the launch so I don't rush and forget something (like the case :)) at the launch.
The Pro38 design is fine and it works. You simply have to read and follow the instructions.

Certain AT loads use 2 different size O-rings and some use seal washers. Again you need to read and follow the directions to avoid reversing the O-rings and/or leaving out the seal washer.

Snap ring cases use different nozzle for certain reloads and needs a good snap ring pliers. Again you need to read and follow the directions or you can get in trouble.

Bob

"Lucy in the sky with diamonds..."
Actually now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen an Imax load larger than an L935 fly before.

Back